Retro Player Haters!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

malignantpoodle

Post by malignantpoodle » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:39 pm

and if all else fails, send him here;

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-MINT-INTELLIVI ... dZViewItem

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:11 am

I dont understand why some people are so anti retro games, i presume most of them werent around that time. Retro games are also ideal as you can have a quick 10 minute go on them rather than some PC games or even console games where it takes a fair bit to load up and then to start the game.

I must admit i can understand people taking the mick out of retro gamers if theyre playing games in their late 20's/early 30's tons. I mean we all enjoy retro gaming here but i must admit due to other things (eg wife/job/other commitments) i'm obviously not gaming as much as i did when i was a kid but i think some people might be retro gaming a bit too much still !

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:21 am

It's really quite funny. My mates and I, who are all in our mid 30's are all well into our retro-gaming, as we of course we brought up with it. Yet my neice, who's 15, and all her boy/girl friends just laugh at me when they see us playing anything older than Mario Bros on the SNES.

It seems it's really the 8-bit computer games that youngsters do not appreciate, as opposed to the Console games. If only they'd sit down and have a game of Sorcery or Booty once in a while!

My neice refers to the 8-bit computer games as "Baby Games"!!!! How dare she! lol.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

michaelf

Re:

Post by michaelf » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:30 am

Scooby1970 wrote:My neice refers to the 8-bit computer games as "Baby Games"!!!! How dare she! lol.

My niece wouldn't dare ... I've just given her my old GBA with gems such as Super Mario Land, the Pacman collection, Namco Museum etc ... she's loving it! :D

Scooby1970

Re:

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:39 am

michaelf wrote:
Scooby1970 wrote:My neice refers to the 8-bit computer games as "Baby Games"!!!! How dare she! lol.

My niece wouldn't dare ... I've just given her my old GBA with gems such as Super Mario Land, the Pacman collection, Namco Museum etc ... she's loving it! :D
Thats why I said 8-bit Computer games and not Console games ;) She (and her friends) enjoy the console games, just not the old computers (ie. Speccy, CPC, C64 etc).

http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

merman

Post by merman » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:55 am

It's funny, people are prepared to accept the nostalgia factor in other markets. Clothes, TV & film, music (look at all the CD/DVD re-issues) and even toys (look at the relaunch of MB titles like Operation)

An old Carry on film is kitsch, part of British culture, and can be watched in an "ironic" way. An old computer game is "out of date", "boring" and "obsolete" according to the haters...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:04 am

Well at the end of the day it's up to them, I have a mate that bought MOH:Rising Sun for £40 and loved it, and he hates Retro games. I bought it last week for 47p and I think it's one of the worst games I've ever played, yet sit me down with Commando, Ikari Warriors or First Blood part 2 and I can play them for hours........

We're both in our 30s.

In his defence I did install a Spewccy emulator with 1, yes 1 rom as that's all he wanted. That rom was TLL. So he's not all that bad.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:26 am

This is mostly on-topic: did anyone see the quite shocking review of the Namco collection in #2 of Official Nintendo Magazine? What a rant, largely suggesting all retro product is crap, unless it's by Nintendo, and slating Pac-Man and Dig-Dug of all things.

I understand the actual product is iffy, but slating the games just made me want to *HULK* *SMASH!*, which is a pity because it's otherwise a decent mag.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:59 am

CraigGrannell wrote:This is mostly on-topic: did anyone see the quite shocking review of the Namco collection in #2 of Official Nintendo Magazine? What a rant, largely suggesting all retro product is crap, unless it's by Nintendo, and slating Pac-Man and Dig-Dug of all things.

I understand the actual product is iffy, but slating the games just made me want to *HULK* *SMASH!*, which is a pity because it's otherwise a decent mag.
Similarly PSM2 slate retro-themed compilations usually along the lines of "Why would you want to play these games now?".

redleader28

Re:

Post by redleader28 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 pm

LeeT wrote:Similarly PSM2 slate retro-themed compilations usually along the lines of "Why would you want to play these games now?".
The reason we would play them now is because most of the older games help shape and define the games we play today. Also they are lot more fun then most of todays games on the market.
Nobody shoots anyone in the face unless you're a hitman or a gamer

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:21 pm

LeeT wrote: Similarly PSM2 slate retro-themed compilations usually along the lines of "Why would you want to play these games now?".
Because they're fun. :)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:35 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:This is mostly on-topic: did anyone see the quite shocking review of the Namco collection in #2 of Official Nintendo Magazine? What a rant, largely suggesting all retro product is crap, unless it's by Nintendo, and slating Pac-Man and Dig-Dug of all things.

I don't think the majority of Game Mags directed at the current generation of consoles/users can review retro games objectively. It happens in all "current generation" mags I read. They look at the graphics more than gameplay, which let's face it, is where it's at, and dismiss retro compilations as "dated."

The reason I, for one, like retro games is for the most part they are original - unlike todays batch of games which have the originality of a 12 year old's insults.
真・豪鬼

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:11 am

To truly appreciate where gaming is today, a knowledge and awareness of the history of video games is needed. The people who dismiss a game because it doesn’t have billions of polygons or the latest flavour of a shader model are the same as people who only visit cinemas to see the latest summer blockbuster. They know what they like but what they like is narrow-minded and their opinions aren’t worth listening to. It is down to these fools that EA and its many kakky sequels are never out of the gaming charts.

The appeal of retro games lies in its immediacy. You play an older game and just by looking at the screen, it’s usually pretty obvious how the game works. Avoid this, shoot that, collect the other. There are no mip mappped, anti aliased virtual worlds to hide the gameplay mechanics behind. When a player plays a good retro game, there is an easy connection, the controls are simple, the objective is simple, but mastering the game becomes an addictive process as any errors will usually be down to the player and the player will immediately be able to see where they went wrong. It’s the purity of gameplay that’s addictive. If it wasn’t, who would sit through 100 levels of Bubble Bobble?

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:26 am

planetmatt wrote:It is down to these fools that EA and its many kakky sequels are never out of the gaming charts.
Said that! I remember when other companies made sports sims and they were fun :wink:
真・豪鬼