Retro Player Haters!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shin_Gouki

Retro Player Haters!!!

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:03 am

A mate of mine constantly rips on the fact that I collect retro gear. His way of thinking is, "If it's old, it's obsolete" and needless to say it varies quite differently from mine. The thing is, back in the old days, this is the bloke who sat with me for hours playing 2 Player Galaga!!! I remind him of this and he shuts up... for a bit. Another thing that pisses me off is the "You're too old to play video games" attitude :evil: :evil: :evil:

Does anyone else come across these sorts of attitudes? Personally I think it's a bit shallow. Let us collect and play what we want!!! :(
真・豪鬼

GarryG

Re: Retro Player Haters!!!

Post by GarryG » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:39 am

Shin_Gouki wrote: "If it's old, it's obsolete"
And you point is caller...

Old cars are obsolite, would he mone at having to drive a RR silver Ghost?
Old stamps are obsolite, would he throw away an unused penny black?
If he was given an old painting by Van Gogh would he swap it for a a modern print?

If he was given an unopened ZX-80 in kit form would he swap it for an xbox360. If he would then in my opinion he is a bit on the dim side ;)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:41 am

It happens, and it's remarkably short-sighted. The thing is, this happens in all media, and it's primarily driven by "fashion"—if this didn't exist, corporations would be fearful that consumers would just stick with what they have, rather than buying new things. As someone who's very, very rarely affected by advertising in any way, shape or form, this tends to just fly by me, but advertising does affect many, who then think new = better. In some cases, though, classics do end up peeking through the wreckage of disposal, and I'm sure gaming will increasingly move in that direction: rather than "retro" being some kind of novelty item, people will in general come to see certain titles as milestones, in the same way that people look to the likes of Metropolis, Citizen Kane, and so on, in the movie world.

Ultimately, as long as you're happy with your lot, who cares what others think? After all, you're not missing out—they are.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

comicalgames

Post by comicalgames » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:38 am

In this spirit I think I'll force my kids to play on a Master System for a few years before upgrading them to something more modern (say, perhaps, a SNES) and make sure they fully appreciate the history of the technology.

I don't see why they wouldn't like it anyway, I really loved my parents old Binatone. Even simple Pong was ace to me.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn ... 014411.jpg

That's the one I had. I remember being constantly gutted we didn't have a gun for the gun game on there :)
Please help raise awareness about Organ Donation in the UK - http://www.livelifethengivelife.co.uk

Add yourself to the register:
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_ ... onsent.jsp

frank grimes

Post by frank grimes » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:06 am

Most people I know are heavily into games no matter what era they're from. We often get together and dig out the SNES for a multiplayer blast on Bomberman. With a group of us playing retro stuff, the nostalgia levels hit the roof!

comicalgames

Post by comicalgames » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:09 am

I spent the whole of this weeking playing Secret of Mana solidly. With over 10 years experience on this game, this time I'm being very.... very.... slow and thorough. Going down every single passage, visiting everywhere, making sure I get every damn weapon orb (although Wiki says two are missing, but I'll soon find out for myself if this is true) and making sure all magic and all weapons are fully powered at maximum levels (something I've never done before).

My gf was most displeased, still, I'm loving it and it's probably the only game in the world (apart from FF series) that I'd dedicate such an amount of time to.
Please help raise awareness about Organ Donation in the UK - http://www.livelifethengivelife.co.uk

Add yourself to the register:
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_ ... onsent.jsp

space_ace

Post by space_ace » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:03 am

I think the thing that differentiates Retro Gaming from other Retro connotations is that the first forays into video gaming were a completely new phenomenon that gave all the programmers involved a blank page to liberally use their imagination.

It was a reasonably innocent, good-humoured time where games were just thankfully not as serious and generally lacking in imagination as what they are now. Can you imagine Sony licensing "My name is Uncle Groucho, you win a big fat cigar".

Film-making in the early years was exactly the same principle; a new concept with an open book. People knocked up classics in their bedroom while some Software Houses shrouded themselves in mystery - all very exciting to the youthful gamer back in the early eighties.

I can't deny the merits of the Grand Theft Auto Series and the quality of the Xbox 360 but the kind of dull, unappealing corporate fodder that is being churned out at a rate of knots isn't very inspiring despite the wealth of technology and insight at their disposal.

The key here is atmosphere - the older games were often laden with bucketloads of atmosphere which made gameplaying with basic technology an experience - A big 20 screen multiplex just doesn't have the same feeling and character as an old fashioned spit and sawdust cinema.

I couldn't agree more that the programmers behind certain games who produced pioneering work & provided a knowledge base that is plagiarized in some way by almost every game on the market, are gradually receiving long overdue plaudits which will only gain more credence in the years to come.

Dave

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:30 am

Playing Bubble Bobble on Taito Legends someone complained to me "You're using the power of the Sony Playstation 2 to play that?!".

I told him to shush because the PS2's a great machine to play arcade ports.

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:55 am

Cornelius wrote:Playing Bubble Bobble on Taito Legends someone complained to me "You're using the power of the Sony Playstation 2 to play that?!".

I told him to shush because the PS2's a great machine to play arcade ports.
I also played the PS1* to play Bubble Bobble, but S.A.P.S. didn't want to stop me.

* See also Saturn,Commodore 64,Spectrum,Amstrad,Xbox,Mame,Arcade and PS2.

Frank Chickens

Re:

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:36 pm

space_ace wrote:
Can you imagine Sony licensing "My name is Uncle Groucho, you win a big fat cigar".
Stuff that - Imagine Sony licensing " Piman - The Songs Collection", would love to see the marketing for that! :D
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:25 pm

I get a lot of crap cos i play games and collect them. But i find it funny that the people that censored me off, are the first to come running when they need anything game related.

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:13 pm

My experiences are quite the reverse.

The people that know me know I'm into retro gaming (esp Spectrum & Amiga games) and even though they're into the latest Elder Scrolls game (which one was v disappointed with) they don't knock the fact I enjoy a good game of Pang.

Loaded by tape.

(or .tap file)

:D

RivaOni

Post by RivaOni » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:20 pm

I got a similar feeling in Gamestation last week, theyhad a bargain bin with LOADS of loose cartridges in there, so I was down on my hands and knees, with digging in with cartrdiges upto my armpits, hearing the lads behind the counter sniggering.

Theyre the ones missing out. I got Diddy Kong Racing, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Mario Tennis, Jet Force Gemini, Pokemon Stadium 2, Wave Race 64, Wipeout 64, 1080 Snowboarding and FZero X on N64, plus Tetris and Dr.Mario, Steet Fighter 2 (World Champion edition, sadly not 2 turbo), Super Metroid and The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past on SNES all for 99p each.

I'll leave them to their 24:The Game and enjoy that lot for half the price thank you very much.

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:00 pm

michaelf wrote:My experiences are quite the reverse.

The people that know me know I'm into retro gaming (esp Spectrum & Amiga games) and even though they're into the latest Elder Scrolls game (which one was v disappointed with) they don't knock the fact I enjoy a good game of Pang.

Loaded by tape.

(or .tap file)

:D
I used to love playing Pang in the arcades! I want to get my hands on a decent, boxed copy for SNES, PAL of course... anyone who has one they may want to part with please PM me :D
Last edited by Shin_Gouki on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
真・豪鬼

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:33 pm

RivaOni wrote:Theyre the ones missing out. I got Diddy Kong Racing, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Mario Tennis, Jet Force Gemini, Pokemon Stadium 2, Wave Race 64, Wipeout 64, 1080 Snowboarding and FZero X on N64, plus Tetris and Dr.Mario, Steet Fighter 2 (World Champion edition, sadly not 2 turbo), Super Metroid and The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past on SNES all for 99p each.

Wish my local gamestation had setups like that, at the mo we've got just the usual retro crap that nobody's interested in, same stuff sitting on the shelves exery week. Though did pick up diddy kong racing and Ocarina of Time a while back. On the plus side at least there is a gamestation, for ages we didn't have any dedicated game store, and at least it's not GAME!!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.