Coin-Op conversions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mandelbrot78

Coin-Op conversions

Post by mandelbrot78 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:40 am

This is a bit of a curiosity topic. I have seen in this forum a lot of talk on arcade conversions for home systems. It is a something I am curious about since I avoided them like the plague, so my knowledge is extremely limited.

I was extremely fortunate to have daily access to arcades throughout the '80s with a hefty amount of coins in my pockets (courtesy of my generous uncle). So I never played them at home, since the downgrade was...painful. Even later with the Amiga I didn't bother much with them and it was only with the Mega Drive and the SNES that I started to play a lot at home since the conversions started to look faithful to the arcades.

So my question is this: why do you bother with arcade conversions, now that the originals are easily available through MAME? Is it just nostalgia or is there something else? The SID tunes? Some differences in gameplay that make the conversion play better than the original?

If the latter is the case, please post recommendations. I'd love to see what I have "missed".

coevin

Post by coevin » Tue May 06, 2008 7:54 am

There are two arcade conversions that i prefer than the arcade.
1) Robocop i love the arcade game its one of my favourites, however apart from the poor graphics i enjoyed the home versions more. I think in this case the extra levels broke the gameplay up a little and added more to the experiance.
2)Pacland- For reasons i dont know i have only loved this on the c64.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue May 06, 2008 8:10 am

Generally, I don't. However, sometimes I go for remakes/conversions for convenience (such as when playing on my DS), and (rarely) because a conversion offers a better game (in my opinion) than the original.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Tue May 06, 2008 8:13 am

Home conversions are also often tweaked with extra modes for better replay value (Sega are particularly great at doing this).

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue May 06, 2008 8:43 am

Like you, I generally played original games rather than conversions until the 16-bit era or so, but there's a few that I liked such as New Zealand Story and Chase HQ. :) After the 16-bit consoles started gathering pace, some conversions actually started getting better than the arcade games, especially when the 32 and 64-bit machines came along. Incidentally, the Speccy doesn't play SID tunes. ;)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue May 06, 2008 9:33 am

Saturn conversion of Dodonpachi - extra levels :)
Saturn conversion of Hyper Duel - complete make over :)
Saturn conversion of Winter Heat - extra events :)
Saturn conversion of Out Run - double frame rate, remixed music etc :)
Saturn conversion of Daytona - Crap graphics, crap framerate :( Still the best 50p I ever spent tho haha.

etc etc etc

Saturn for the conversion win !

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue May 06, 2008 10:28 am

The home version of Soul Calibur is the BEST conversion ever.

They (NAMCO) added sooooo much to it.

Namco also treated Tekken fans to a host of additional content for the home version of it's most popular fighter, including the highly entertaining Tekken Bowl (Tekken Tag Tournament) to the rather bland Devil Within (Tekken 5).

Coupled with the home only additional modes such as Time Attack, Survival, Team Battle they also add new characters and background/stages.

Namco always seem to do the home ports total justice.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Tue May 06, 2008 10:33 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:The home version of Soul Calibur is the BEST conversion ever.
Yes it is far superior to the arcade. I was talking mostly about 8 bit or at most 16 bit systems, but feel free to add newer games.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue May 06, 2008 10:58 am

While I tend to play the arcade originals mostly now, I do still like to try some of the console conversions mainly out of curiosity to see how good/bad they were. A few of my favourites I still play a great deal are:

Shinobi (Master System) - I think Sega did a great job porting this to the SMS, even though the pace is slower than the arcade original it still holds up very well today.
Street Fighter 2 Turbo (Snes) - As much as I like the arcades wonderful graphics, I really do prefer the Snes soundtrack and sound effects, the other main draw point is the fact the the computer AI is more forgiving than the arcade counterpart which is still as tough as hell for me to complete.
Turtles 2: The arcade game (Nes) - despite losing 4 player multiplayer and having the graphics and sountrack compressed to play on the Nes I actually much prefer this version to the arcade original. There are 2 brand new levels (The snow covered park and the Ninja dojo), and 3 brand new bosses. It sticks quite close to the arcade version just with less enemies on screen at one time. It also feels slightly easier though that might just be the fact I put more time into the Nes version.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue May 06, 2008 10:59 am

UN Squadron on SNES was also superior to its arcade counterpart....shame no Carrier Airwing made it

psj3809

Re: Coin-Op conversions

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:05 am

mandelbrot78 wrote:This is a bit of a curiosity topic. I have seen in this forum a lot of talk on arcade conversions for home systems. It is a something I am curious about since I avoided them like the plague, so my knowledge is extremely limited.
I do get your point, why in a way would i play Commando or Space Harrier on the Speccy when the far better equivalent is on MAME ?

But you could say that about many games, why play a shoot em up on the Speccy/C64/Amiga/Atari ST when surely theres plenty of great ones on the PS3 or X-Box 360 ?

Firstly its all about gameplay, i dont care for whizzy graphics/great tunes if the gameplays not perfect.

Also of course about nostalgia. Difficult to explain but as a kid i was in awe of arcade games, when the Speccy say had its own conversion of an arcade game i loved seeing the way the programmers could take this huge colourful/all singing/dancing arcade game and cram it into 48k.

I loved the way they converted the graphics, sometimes the tune and at the end of the day you were sometimes left with the 'bare bones' of the game. Take Space Harrier, superb in the arcade, very special in that seat etc (Same with Afterburner), the Speccy version was the 'bare bones' and you were left with the basic version which was a good little shoot-em-up.

To me it was like having your own mini arcade at home, granted i could have got the bus and gone to the arcades and spent money there but there was I, in my bedroom with my own 'mini arcade' full of games.

I still love seeing 'basic' versions of arcade games, eg Midnight Resistance i love on the Speccy.

I do kinda get what you are saying but it does slightly remind me of say an 18 year old saying 'why do you all bother with crap old games when the X Box 360/PS3 has the best games out there' ? I do LOVE lots of MAME games specially from 1982-92 but i really enjoy the arcade conversions for home computers as it was fascinating to see how they would cram a huge arcade game into just 48k

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Tue May 06, 2008 11:10 am

Some of the 8 bit conversions were easier to play than the arcade machines.

Paperboy, Ghost and Goblins and Buggy all C64 are three that standout, not better at home, just more accessable.

Fortuantely I was surrounded by arcade machines when I grew up and had the choice. Wasnt the same for everybody.
Just where is Mickey T?

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:25 am

psj3809 wrote: I do kinda get what you are saying but it does slightly remind me of say an 18 year old saying 'why do you all bother with crap old games when the X Box 360/PS3 has the best games out there' ? I do LOVE lots of MAME games specially from 1982-92 but i really enjoy the arcade conversions for home computers as it was fascinating to see how they would cram a huge arcade game into just 48k
Well obviously it's not like that since I am still playing old classics and still admire them, unlike the 18 year old who thinks gaming started with Tomb Raider.:)

But since my experience with coin-op conversions was limited back then, I can't feel nostalgia, obviously, while I do fire the same games on MAME since that's what I may feel nostalgic about. Besides, the arcades were a magical place for me back then.

But today, I try to play the best version of a game, even if I had played a different one then, since I want to appreciate the game at its fullest.

And since we are talking about the same game, not a newer or different one (so the gameplay is the same or very similar), why stick today to an inferior version? Back then it was done more out of necessity than preference. Today we have the luxury to play these games "the way they were meant to be played" to misquote Nvidia, so why not indulge?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:45 am

mandelbrot78 wrote:why stick today to an inferior version? Back then it was done more out of necessity than preference. Today we have the luxury to play these games "the way they were meant to be played" to misquote Nvidia, so why not indulge?
Yep thats a good question. Obviously a ton of it is nostalgic reasons, i still love playing a lot of Speccy games as it transports me instantly back to the 80's, totally remember these games the first time round and many of them stand the test of time.

But yeah why dont i play say the MAME version of Commando instead of the Speccy one ? To be fair i play both as again the MAME version brings back tons of memories as i spent all holiday once in Spain playing that !

Why do people still watch some black and white films (sci fi) when surely the modern ones are so much better ? A ton of it is what you grew up with, nostalgic reasons etc

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:54 am

The Saturn version of Die Hard Arcade was amazing and very true to the original. As was Tempest and Virtual On.
Thoughts and prayers.