If the Dreamcast is retro.......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:09 pm

GarryG wrote:
C=Style wrote:I will say it's a cult console if ever there was one :D
That's sort of my point...

So until we get 'Cult Console Gamer' (it could work!) then RG is probably the next best place for the DC. It wont ever be appearing in the mainstream multi-format magazines anymore, will it?
Yes, it does. It features in both Edge and GamesTM ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue May 20, 2008 1:31 pm

C=Style wrote:Fair enough I see your point, I think we've hit a happy medium. :)

Now you mention it mootown, and I've never really though of it like that but retro is a very crap term indeed, it makes us sound like a bunch of nostalgic sad cases stuck in a childhood timewarp. Classic gaming is a better term in every way. 8)
:) Or even vintage if you want to go proper english gentleman - what what old boy...

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue May 20, 2008 1:32 pm

batman877 wrote:
Mootown wrote:Retro is a crap term anyway.

Why are games retro? Why not classic? I prefer that as a word.
Because something like Out Run on the CPC is far from being a classic, but it's age makes it retro.

How about breaking the ages down to gold, silver and bronze?

'Out Run on the CPC was a crap game from the silver age of gaming' :lol:
Out Run on the CPC was a crap game.
That's really all you need to say.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue May 20, 2008 1:34 pm

Mootown wrote:
C=Style wrote:Fair enough I see your point, I think we've hit a happy medium. :)

Now you mention it mootown, and I've never really though of it like that but retro is a very crap term indeed, it makes us sound like a bunch of nostalgic sad cases stuck in a childhood timewarp. Classic gaming is a better term in every way. 8)
:) Or even vintage if you want to go proper english gentleman - what what old boy...
Rather..... old chap. I always vintage game with my smoking jacket on, my pipe between my teeth and a large brandy...in the gaming parlor..... :lol:
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue May 20, 2008 1:40 pm

hehe :)

Vintage gaming FTW

Delboy

Post by Delboy » Tue May 20, 2008 5:28 pm

I cannot even imagine how on earth you could possibly think about PS2 being retro.. :shock: :shock:

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/05/14/ps2_st ... e_ps3.html

That aint retro guys, It`s 2008.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed May 21, 2008 7:32 am

Delboy wrote:I cannot even imagine how on earth you could possibly think about PS2 being retro.. :shock: :shock:

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/05/14/ps2_st ... e_ps3.html

That aint retro guys, It`s 2008.
Has anyone actually said that? or was it merely stated that if DC is considered retro then the ps2 should be too.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed May 21, 2008 8:09 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
GarryG wrote:
C=Style wrote:I will say it's a cult console if ever there was one :D
That's sort of my point...

So until we get 'Cult Console Gamer' (it could work!) then RG is probably the next best place for the DC. It wont ever be appearing in the mainstream multi-format magazines anymore, will it?
How many times in the last two years then? How many in the last 5?

I assume this was in some sort of 'retro' piece, so I think your just playing devils advocate here :twisted:

OK, so there is no regular coverage of current Dreamcast software in any mainstream games magazines...

Is that better :roll:

P.S.
My 18 year old has never heard of ether 'Edge' or 'GamesTM', so being the target marked for mainstream games magazines, how 'mainstream' are they?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:53 am

GarryG wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
GarryG wrote:That's sort of my point...

How many times in the last two years then? How many in the last 5?

I assume this was in some sort of 'retro' piece, so I think your just playing devils advocate here :twisted:

OK, so there is no regular coverage of current Dreamcast software in any mainstream games magazines...

Is that better :roll:

P.S.
My 18 year old has never heard of ether 'Edge' or 'GamesTM', so being the target marked for mainstream games magazines, how 'mainstream' are they?
Pretty much all recent releases have had reviews in one or both of those mags, so we've seen Under Defeat, Chaos Field, Radilgy etc as current games reviews alongside the other current systems of the last 5 years. They're featured every time there's a new release, which is around once a year, so that's 'regular'.

We can only assume your child isnt particularly observant as both GamesTM and Edge feature heavily every month on mainstream newsagents such as WH Smith as well as many independent stores. GameStation even sells them.

;)
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed May 21, 2008 9:05 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Pretty much all recent releases have had reviews in one or both of those mags, so we've seen Under Defeat, Chaos Field, Radilgy etc as current games reviews alongside the other current systems of the last 5 years. They're featured every time there's a new release, which is around once a year, so that's 'regular'.
So if (an average of) 1 review per year over the last 5'ish years is current, then the DC is a current console, silly me, I stand corrected ;)
One question, how many PS2 and Xbox reviews have there been in the same period?

Notice any difference? (Ok, so I lied, that was two questions :) )
Antiriad2097 wrote:We can only assume your child isnt particularly observant as both GamesTM and Edge feature heavily every month on mainstream newsagents such as WH Smith as well as many independent stores. GameStation even sells them.

;)
Well I can only say nether of my four nephews, aged 10 to 16 (different families) have ever heard of them ether, and they have all the previous and latest gen consoled between them and buy 'games' magazines.

My point being they don't notice them because they arn't targeted at that audience, they may very well have seen it on the shelfe, picked it up, loked at it for all of 3 seconds, and put it down again... before buying 'Zap Pow Bang Trendy-Games Gamer (like wot your friends buy) Monthly' :lol:

(I know this because we were takling about it just a little while age, when they seen me with a copy og GamesTM, and asked what that was.)
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:14 pm

Your point fals down a little when you consider under 18's aren't actually mainstream gamers. The average gamer is much older ;)

GamesTM is the mag of choice for the younger gamers I know. Must be a regional thing.

If anything, there are far more DC reviews than X-Box ones over the last couple of years.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed May 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Your point fals down a little when you consider under 18's aren't actually mainstream gamers. The average gamer is much older ;)

GamesTM is the mag of choice for the younger gamers I know. Must be a regional thing.

If anything, there are far more DC reviews than X-Box ones over the last couple of years.
Are you sure, most kids (and I work with 'em) want a magazine with a demo disk or some other freebie on em which Games TM doesn't provide.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:28 pm

I just assumed they breed them smarter up here ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed May 21, 2008 5:15 pm

I really wouldn't think GamesTM is a magazine that appeals to the average younger gamer, at all. Just about the only ones they buy (if at all) are the official magazines for their system of choice, or so I thought at least.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Wed May 21, 2008 5:34 pm

Possibly GamesMaster too.