If the Dreamcast is retro.......

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

bonerlaw

If the Dreamcast is retro.......

Post by bonerlaw » Mon May 05, 2008 6:36 am

.....Then why isnt the PS2???

After the fantastic Dreamcast feature in RG 50, got me thinking....if it is considered Retro then why not the PS2. The two systems are only just 2 years apart, and featured a number of the same games ported one way or the other......

Is it because the Dreamcast failed?? Or is it because it was Sega's last forray into the console market???

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon May 05, 2008 6:47 am

A bit over simplified but probably because:
- It was released before 2000
- Games are no longer produced for it (please nobody mention some obscure company still producing stuff)
The what is retro discussion has been debated, discussed, argued to death but most people seem to think the DC fits the criteria.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Mon May 05, 2008 7:10 am

sscott wrote:The what is retro discussion has been debated, discussed, argued to death but most people seem to think the DC fits the criteria.
Ahhhh, true, perhaps not the best thread to start.......Im guessing this one will be locked before the end of the day!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon May 05, 2008 7:15 am

I think it is a good question. sscott has pretty much covered the answer though.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon May 05, 2008 8:58 am

I don't think the PS2 should be classed as retro or covered by RG (yet) but I think the PS1 should get some occasional coverage, including a 'Retrospective' feature and 'Perfect Ten' and all that. It is even older than the Dreamcast after all :)

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon May 05, 2008 9:38 am

I think its probably due to the fact the DC was/is more obscure.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Mon May 05, 2008 10:16 am

I think it's also about the kind of games you got on the machine. A game doesn't necessarily have to be old to appeal to retro gaming fans.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon May 05, 2008 10:35 am

Yeah, the DC was pretty much a home version of an arcade cabinet. Crazy Taxi, Daytona, Soul Calibur etc. Plus, the DC released mostly beefed up PSone games as opposed to PS2 games. GTA2 is considered retro, which was released on the DC. Demolition Racer was a souped up version of the PSone/PC game.

You get the idea. Most of the games it recieved were games you'd consider retro today, with a few exceptions (Shenmue for example). It kinda falls inbetween the PS1 and PS2.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon May 05, 2008 10:54 am

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:I think it's also about the kind of games you got on the machine.
I think Retro Gamer's inclusion of the DC has as much to do with this as to its premature death. Retro Gamer content is down to relevancy, rather than pure nostalgia. For a similar line of thinking, that's why a Geometry Wars making-of ended up in the magazine, but a GTA IV making-of wouldn't (well, not unless Retro Gamer manages to survive another decade, by which point GTA IV might actually be very retro).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 05, 2008 10:56 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
The Penultimate Ninja wrote:I think it's also about the kind of games you got on the machine.
I think Retro Gamer's inclusion of the DC has as much to do with this as to its premature death. Retro Gamer content is down to relevancy, rather than pure nostalgia. For a similar line of thinking, that's why a Geometry Wars making-of ended up in the magazine, but a GTA IV making-of wouldn't (well, not unless Retro Gamer manages to survive another decade, by which point GTA IV might actually be very retro).
I agree - whether a mchine is retro or not is more determined by when it commercially 'died' than when it was born
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon May 05, 2008 11:01 am

It also depends on your age - being a child of the 80s, I don't think of machines such as the Dreamcast, which can fling around polygons for fun, as being retro as such. Mention retro to me and I think first and foremost of chunky graphics, attribute clash, severely limited amounts of colours, dodgy scrolling, sprite-flickering, and so on!

I'd say for me, the Saturn straddles the retro divide - some great old-school shooters and beat-em-ups that place it at the pinnacle of the old 2D dominated styles, but some premonition of the impending domination of 3D 1st and 3rd person POV game styles. So in that sense I agree with Penultimate Ninja that the kind of game is important, and that there are, of course, retrogames on newer systems.

I am glad that RG are covering the DC though - which other magazine would, since the system is not commercially supported any more?

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:06 am

I always think the Dreamcast is featured in RG simply because we love it.

DC FTW
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Mon May 05, 2008 11:08 am

Can't 'retro' be a classification for games as well as machines? I think people get stuck on defining retro by platform. In a couple of years the PS2 will probably still be going as a budget machine, with budget releases and maybe a few downgraded ports of current-gen stuff, but its launch games will be a decade old.

I'm not saying the PS2 should be covered in RG yet by any means, I'm just speculating on the qualifications.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon May 05, 2008 11:39 am

Sabreman wrote:I'm just speculating on the qualifications.
As far as I'm aware, the qualification (singular, not plural) is whether something is relevant to the magazine's target audience.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon May 05, 2008 11:58 am

Well.. we haven't actually had a PS1 feature yet :)