xboxquery

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Machine+Soul

xboxquery

Post by Machine+Soul » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:02 am

Hey guys

Was thinking of buying an xbox (original). I really want the Panzer Dragoon game released for it. I was wobndering however is it a good machine. Nobody ever seems to mention it on here and i'm not sure if thats a bad or good thing. So is it a good machine? It would sit nice next to my dreamcast and Gamecube, but what is it like in comparison to those two? Thanks in advance.

affro

Post by affro » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:09 am

Yeah, it's a great console, if you can forgive the shocking conroller size (get an Xbox > PS2 converter tbh) and weight of the console itself, still, it comes with a HDD, 4 controller slots and it's still not bad graphically.

You can still get online play through xbox live too and there is an excellent selection of titles available, most of which appear in second hand bargin bins for a few pounds.

I still have mines and use it to play my SF2/3 games on it with my PS2 controller adapter and my Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 sticks, I love it.
╔╗╔═╦╗©
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:24 am

Its a great console, and Panzer Dragoon is one of my favourite games for it as well. As the console has been completely superseeded now thanks to the 360 nearly all of the great games can be bought for next to nothing so I'd recommend getting one.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:01 am

Great console it's got a cracking line up of games which are generally quite cheap and a great DVD player in it to boot

Recommended games:

Panzer Dragoon Orta
Outrun 2
Doom 3
Halflife 2
Escape from Castle Wolfwenstein
Ninja Gaiden
Halo 1+2
Street Fighter Collection
Jet Set Radio Future

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:16 am

It is indeed a great console, it just felt so much more polished than the Playstation 2.

You can get some decent retro compilations, including Sonic Mega Collection +.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:22 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Recommended games:

Outrun 2
And Outrun 2006 - Coast 2 Coast which i've been playing a hideous amount of recently - and s'worth picking up a cheap copy of PGR 2 for Geometry Wars i reckon... =-)

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:24 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Great console it's got a cracking line up of games which are generally quite cheap and a great DVD player in it to boot

Recommended games:

Panzer Dragoon Orta
Outrun 2
Doom 3
Halflife 2
Escape from Castle Wolfwenstein
Ninja Gaiden
Halo 1+2
Street Fighter Collection
Jet Set Radio Future
Gmintyfresh neglected to tell you to get the Collectors Edition of Doom 3 (as it has Doom II) :shock:

Should also look at :

Deus Ex : Invisible War
Project Gotham Racing 2
Star Wars : KOTOR
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:28 am

It's amazing just how much technically the PS2 has been pushed at the end of it's life with games such as Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War 2, and San Andreas - it makes you wonder what the Xbox would have been capable of if it'd been pushed in the same way. Half Life 2 is still an amazing achievement on the machine

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:38 am

The Xbox is an excellent, excellent console I play on it more than the 360. Very reliable, great controller (first ones were huuuge, but the S-Controller is much smaller & superior to the Dual Shock 2 IMO), it also has an excellent D-Pad, the best one of it's generation.

There's tons of great games on it that are really cheap now and if you ever decide to mod it then it transforms into the best console ever made without question. It really opens the Xbox up and allows you to store your games direct on the HDD which speeds up loading times and keeps your disks nice and safe, you can also change the flicker filter levels to remove that annoying preset blur that many Xbox games have, and they look truly stunning when sharpened up. It also has incredible emulators and a media center that completely puts to shame the media capabilities of the PS3 and 360.

So I say go for it! :)

fordie020376

Post by fordie020376 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:52 am

Let's not forget to mention just how great it is when modded for homebrew and emulation.

I have installed on mine the following emulators:-

Mame
Pc Engine
Atari 2600 and 5200
Collecovision
Nes
Snes
Megadrive
Master System
Amiga
Atari St
Atari Lynx
Wonderswan
CPS1 & 2
GBA
NeoGeo AES

and all with pretty much every game you can imagine.

The xbox is seriously good and emulation
Image ImageImage
Fordie

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:19 am

Absolutely! :)

When it's hooked up to the main TV and you're playing all these classic games it just doesn't feel like emulation to me, it's indistinguishable from the real thing, bar obviously the pad, which is great for retro anyway. C64 and Amiga emulation is a dream come true on Xbox, for me anyway.

But even without the mod, the Xbox is still a damn fine console to own, it has a great catalogue of games.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:22 am

And then theres...Steel Battalion (teki) to consider.....given the time and money to track this down, you wont regret it. Only played on a friends version, the startup sequences, the windscreen wipers, the tilting system is mind boggling when getting blasted by the enermy lol.

And once you own the game, build your self one of these....

There was another one I saw somewhere, a giant cardboard cockpit with sliding door but cant find the bloody picture now....anyway, this is cool....but shows some people have far too much time on their hands lol
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:39 am

tekaotaku wrote:And then theres...Steel Battalion (teki) to consider.....given the time and money to track this down, you wont regret it. Only played on a friends version, the startup sequences, the windscreen wipers, the tilting system is mind boggling when getting blasted by the enermy lol.

And once you own the game, build your self one of these....

There was another one I saw somewhere, a giant cardboard cockpit with sliding door but cant find the bloody picture now....anyway, this is cool....but shows some people have far too much time on their hands lol
Man, I think I've seen those setups as well! I had to have a fold out mini table to rest my steel battalion controller on due to its large size but the game is so sweet to play. Gets damn hard at the end of the campaign with the juggernaut class mechs though! Still haven't memorised what all the buttons do through all the years I've owned it, though I am well aquainted with the eject button.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:13 pm

It's great to use as a media centre, but as a games console I'd struggle to recommend it. There were a few decent exclusives (the Halos*, JSR Future, PGR) but many of it's best games appeared on the PS2, GC and PC so if you already have any of those formats you might be as well not to bother.

Unless you really want to play Orta.

*actually they showed up on PC too.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:33 pm

Just bought a Crystal one off ebay for £20!

Never wanted one before as I've got a CUBE and PS2 but at this price I couldn't resist.

Looking forward to sourcing out all the XBOX exclusives! Does anyone know a good link to a definitive list of exclusives?