What difficulty do you usually play your games at?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

C=Style

What difficulty do you usually play your games at?

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Just wondering..

Usually I play on the default which is normal but I'm not ashamed to admit with new games I sometimes opt for the easy mode just to get in the swing of things, but I find things get very boring fast if there's no challenge. On some shmups I tend to up the difficulty to one above default on most Razing shooters (and Zero Gunner 2 on DC) as it works out to the true arcade difficulty, even though they are too hard for me most of the time, I just like playing in that mode.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:31 pm

middle
top is always unfairly difficult , bottom ridiculously easy

btw I HATE difficulty levels in games

It's all a cop-out. To my mind , it means that the people who made the game didn't take the time to do it properly
Last edited by paranoid marvin on Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dan1980

Post by Dan1980 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:31 pm

I always used to play them on normal until i bought serious sam on the xbox. :o

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:34 pm

P*ss easy if possible.
Splink!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:34 pm

Hmm. Good question.

I usually play on default, as I feel a coward on anything less. No 'monkey' mode for me :)

Lately I'd been wacking a few 360 games on Hard to see how I got on, but the level of actual difficulty seems somewhat arbitrary between manufacturers. Played Gears of War three quarters through on Hard but still got bored and didnt finish it. Tried the same on Lost Planet and only got about two levels in...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Whatever is standard. But if that is too tricky I am not ashamed to drop down a level (or two).

Titan

Post by Titan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:40 pm

I usually go for "Normal", or whatever the medium setting is. On some games I have to resort to switching to "Easy" though :P

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:46 pm

Almost always the normal/default mode. When I got CoD4 for the PS3 a few months ago, I put that on Hard as I'd heard it wasn't a very long game and I didn't want to finish it too quickly. As it turned out, I didn't think it was too short. There were a few bits that were almost too hard, but I managed.

I can't think of any games where I've chosen a lower level than the default. Those levels are usually for children.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:03 pm

felgekarp wrote:P*ss easy if possible.
Easier than that, because I'm hopless.....

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:05 pm

mikeb wrote:Hmm. Good question.

I usually play on default, as I feel a coward on anything less. No 'monkey' mode for me :)

Lately I'd been wacking a few 360 games on Hard to see how I got on, but the level of actual difficulty seems somewhat arbitrary between manufacturers. Played Gears of War three quarters through on Hard but still got bored and didnt finish it. Tried the same on Lost Planet and only got about two levels in...
You know I feel a bit like that when I choose easy, kinda like my manhood has been stripped ;), ok not quite that far but it does make me feel like a crap gamer opting for it, but in the case of Serious Sam as mentioned, selecting easy mode is the best course of action. :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Only modern game I ever needed 'easy' on was/are the C&C /RA games
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:13 pm

It's all about default settings, because you often lose something of the game on lower settings - ie less enemies, objectives, even less levels on some games. I prefer to play on default because I imagine that is how it's 'supposed' to be played and also the difficulty level that it was playtested the most and honed to. I could be wrong tho.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:27 pm

I do actually much prefer game like Zelda and Mario where there are no difficulty settings. I hated having to put down the difficulty a notch in KOTOR in one particular fight and then ramp it back up, and the same is true for Oblivion. Why make things so hard for yourself that it's not fun? It's so tempting just to move that bar to the left a few notches..

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:28 pm

also of note is the varying ways different manufacturers define their difficulty settings during the game.

For instance, Gears of war on Hard just seems to up the probability of getting quickly splattered when you are out of cover, so if you play the game properly (ie using cover) it doesnt actually seem much more difficult than on Normal.

Capcom have been a bit naughty on Lost Planet by just increasing the rate at which you lose energy (over time) and die on the higher dificulty settings, which makes it almost unplayable. To me anyway.

As these are both modern scripted event games, I guess it wasnt an option to increase the number of enemies or whatever.

That's something retro games have in advantage to modern ones though :)

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:14 pm

I normally go for...'normal'. Somewhere in the middle.

Although, I've been playing Street Fighter II which is darn hard. I've now got the difficulty level set on zero..
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer