Race Driver: GRID Shameless promoting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mootown

Race Driver: GRID Shameless promoting

Post by Mootown » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFeNyeay278

Gamestation car available in Race Driver: GRID ! :)
Only if you pre-order though ahem cough.

Check it out anyway, the graphics are amazing and the game rocks..

Edit - just thought to mention, that footage is in game too..

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:21 pm

that actually looks quite spunky.
and ill be happy if it plays like race driver 2.
think i might have to pre-order that one.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:18 pm

its TOP of my 'must get' list :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Very tempting. You going for the PC version MPM?

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 am

Oh man. I just watched the above vid and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcuDrM8lLig

Stuff like this really makes me question my "I don't need to step into the new generation yet" stance. :shock:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:34 am

Codemasters pre-release videos are almost universally dirty rotten lies though.

EDIT : And this one clearly is. "Actual Gameplay Footage" my arse, you couldn't possibly play from any of those camera angles. It might be gameplay engine footage sure but any Gran Turismo dev will tell you that in replays when you've got so much less to deal with, you can turn on a lot more effects and stuff.

Not to say it won't look gorgeous of course but this video at least is an old Codemasters trick.

Edit 2 : From that music and the general style, how much do they want to "be" Gran Turismo :)

Still, looking forward to this one, but wait for actual game before you start buying consoles for it.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:11 am

I've played the actual game (360 version and DS !) and I can tell you it does look gorgeous - the graphic engine is the DIRT engine but updated and even better, there's loads going on in the races and the damage is phenomenal. I was really impressed by this when I saw it, and the feel of the cars is spot on. The replays do look more impressive than when you are playing though, but the difference isn't that great. The low angles etc really help make it look more dynamic that's for certain though.

As far as wanting to be Gran Turismo, it's moving away from the old 'collect loads of cars thing' by only having loads less cars, but only good ones you would actually want to use.
So you don't have to race a Cappucino around high speed ring 10 times before you have enough money upgrade to a slightly better car.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gran Turismo but it's still same old same old pretty much. GRID feels a lot more refreshing. It's going to be awesome when it's finally releashed. I'm really looking forward to it :)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:15 am

Oh, incidently if you really do want the GS bonus car pre-orders won't start officially until Friday 2nd May when the posters etc go into store so there's no point trying until then really :)

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:40 am

This looks ok, but if it keeps the same un-natural tones (in terms of colour) as DiRT then again I won't be impressed. The racing game I am really looking forward to is Ferrari Challenge, that games looks amazing!

As for the shameless "Gamestation" promotion, as games seem to be getting more realistic (especially racers), then more and more advertising is definitly creeping in, but that's not really a bad thing is it?

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:48 am

Mootown wrote:I've played the actual game (360 version and DS !) and I can tell you it does look gorgeous - the graphic engine is the DIRT engine but updated and even better, there's loads going on in the races and the damage is phenomenal. I was really impressed by this when I saw it, and the feel of the cars is spot on. The replays do look more impressive than when you are playing though, but the difference isn't that great. The low angles etc really help make it look more dynamic that's for certain though.

As far as wanting to be Gran Turismo, it's moving away from the old 'collect loads of cars thing' by only having loads less cars, but only good ones you would actually want to use.
So you don't have to race a Cappucino around high speed ring 10 times before you have enough money upgrade to a slightly better car.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gran Turismo but it's still same old same old pretty much. GRID feels a lot more refreshing. It's going to be awesome when it's finally releashed. I'm really looking forward to it :)
Whats the car physics/handling like on the cars? It sounds rather promising so far but the handling is the one thing that can make or break a racing game for me.
Also, hows the opponents AI? Does it have bad rubberband AI or is it more dynamic?

Thanks for the impressions though, no doubt I'll give it a try once its released.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:14 am

Sureshot wrote:Very tempting. You going for the PC version MPM?
Oh yes! Bit of online GRIDing coming up then???? :D :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:00 am

I suggest pre-ordering this for PC at shopto.net as its only £19.99 !!!!!!!!

I just did

http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=det ... 0Grid&p=PC :D

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:03 am

For some bizarre reason this games got me a bit excited and I'm actually thinking about buying it :?
Splink!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:09 am

Meh, the Race Driver series sucks IMO. I think I'll stick to mastering Forza.

If only Codemaster's brought back the legendary Toca series and focused on only Touring Cars then I would be excited, as it stands, I'm not.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:22 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Mootown wrote:I've played the actual game (360 version and DS !) and I can tell you it does look gorgeous - the graphic engine is the DIRT engine but updated and even better, there's loads going on in the races and the damage is phenomenal. I was really impressed by this when I saw it, and the feel of the cars is spot on. The replays do look more impressive than when you are playing though, but the difference isn't that great. The low angles etc really help make it look more dynamic that's for certain though.

Whats the car physics/handling like on the cars? It sounds rather promising so far but the handling is the one thing that can make or break a racing game for me.
Also, hows the opponents AI? Does it have bad rubberband AI or is it more dynamic?

Thanks for the impressions though, no doubt I'll give it a try once its released.
Well, I only had the one proper go, it was on one of the famous courses (I forget what it's called, not Suzuka though, but it's featured in other racing titles) but the handling is close to Forza - you know how the cars kind of feel heavy and as though there is something substantial about them. I also felt when driving fast as though I actually was going fast and was getting pretty nervous coming up to corners, which is good as I find some car games a but humdrum.

Not sure about the AI, but I had to battle to get past and there were plenty of occasions the computer AI reacted kind of 'wrongly' - you know not driving like a perfect robot.

On the build I played, if you total the car you can rewind time back about 10 seconds and try the bit again, I think they were tweaking that to how often you were allowed to use the feature and how it would be used in the game, so dunno about the outcome on that.

The graphics on the inner city level I saw (someone else playing) were stunning, the crowd is excellent as they actually react for a change if you drive close to them.

The only negative was a bit of tearing in the graphics, which every game these days seems to have if it involves cars - even Gran Turismo does it. Hope they can get it sorted - this was a month or two ago and it wasn't the final build.

Don't know what else to mention - obviously I only had a limited time there, but it impressed me loads and I'm not so easily impressed these days. Can't wait for the final version! :)

I'm sure they said it had the Touring car element in it too, as it is the natural progression of the Toca series...