Sega Classics for PS2 worth the price

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rtrgrl78

Sega Classics for PS2 worth the price

Post by rtrgrl78 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:24 pm

Hello,

Has anyone bought a copy of Sega Classics for the Playstation 2 and do they think it's any good? I keep going passed my local Game shop and have seen the price at £14.99, I am tempted by the titles of Outrun, Golden Axe and Virtual Racer. Was put off though by a couple of reviews form local papers. Has anyone ordered they're copy of Outrun Coast to Coast? I ordered mine from HMV as soon as I read the review in PSM 2 back in January - they said it would be for the 17/3 but went in store and they had put an advert up for the 31/3.

andjs

Post by andjs » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:32 pm

Hi M8, i bought this about a month ago, and have to admit it is not a brilliant collection.
The only reason i keep on playing it is because it has a reasonable conversion of Space harrier which is one of my all time fave games and the weird and wonderful Fantasy Zone.
Give it a go,£14.99 isn't an excessive amount is it???

rtrgrl78

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:53 pm

Hiya I may have a go next time I see it, most of the time I buy my games from Asda, as thats where do most of my weekly shop and sometimes they price the games quite good. I got Capcom Classics for £9.97 the other. Have just ordered James Pond: Robocod 2 for PS1, love that game, whats going on am 28 !

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:40 am

It's not a bad collection.

From what I've played of it, it seems to be 3D remakes of the classics games.

I was impressed with Outrun, the sounds and music appear to be from the arcade version, but the graphics (although they look pretty much the same) are 3D. There is something about it though... it just doesn't have that same special feel as the original Outrun.

Other than that, I found Bonanza Bros to be a fun game. I've never played the original so I don't know how close it is.

Virtua Racing seems to be fairly close to the original arcade version (from what I can remember). It doesn't seem to have any updated graphics - it's still the same basic 3D.

Thats all I've played of the compilation so far. For £15, you can't go far wrong.

What I haven't found yet is any unlockable bonus features. Does anyone know if there are any on there?

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

tssk

Post by tssk » Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:38 am

My 2c on the games on the disc.

Outrun. Great remake of the arcade game with new 3D graphics. Maybe redundant due to the great version of Outrun 2006 on the PS2.

Space Harrier. Pretty good remake of the arcade game with new 3D graphics. Some great additions with smart bombs and rez style lock on.

Columns. Accurate port of the old game plus a remixed version. Not bad if you aren't sick of it.

Fantasy Zone. Remade with new graphics, Fantasy Zone addicts seem to think it's the best version of Fantasy Zone ever made.

Monaco GP. The remake of this average arcade game had me gripped for a while. (Probably because it reminded me of Hes' C64 Le Mans.) The remix with the star bonuses are pretty good.

Virtua Racing. An almost perfect port of the arcade machine.

Bonanza Bros. An almost perfect port of the arcade machine.

Tant R. Wierd Wario Ware style puzzle game. My partner is hooked on this currently.

Alien Syndrome. Seems to be missing from the PAL version. Does anyone know why?

And last and certainly least Golden Axe.

Avoid Golden Axe like the plague. The C64 version is much much better than this one. In fact this version seems to be designed to spite those that loved the original.

KW

Post by KW » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:33 pm

Couldn't agree more. Really don't like the Golden Axe remake.

I personally like the rest of the games though despite the mixed reviews and have enjoyed playing them. Paid £12.99 and quite happy with that.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:15 am

Try this thread for a few reviews...
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 pm

I picked up a copy in Games, but only because my brother-in-law is the manager and could get it cheaper for me.

Outrun is as good as it ever was and Space Harrirer is a fun blast. That Bonanza Bros; I've never ever played the original or even heard of it, but it is actually good fun in a simple kind of way.

Haven't played much of anything else...

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:06 pm

Which one should i get. This one or Taito Legends.

Danny

Post by Danny » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:46 pm

Taito Legends (1 or 2, dose not matter) by a long, LONG way!

Seriously do the math 40 or 30 games vs 15 or so games plus the Taito games are perfectly emulated and have not been changed in any way. Plus Elevator Action Returns makes the second disc is worth it lone. (Anyone who has ever tried to locate and purchase a copy of the game on the Sega Saturn will know what I'm talking about) Saying that there are also a lot of old classics out there on both the Taito Legends discs, I highly recommend you buy them both.

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:08 pm

Over time i will get them all even the Namco one i saw today in Gamestation.

broton

Re:

Post by broton » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:26 am

M.A.G wrote:Which one should i get. This one or Taito Legends.
Taito legends without a doubt - only one or two dodgy games out of what, 20+? Do yourself a favour, buy Taito legends!

I agree with the posters above, I bought the Sega collection largely for Golden Axe but the version on this disc is not very good at all.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:33 am

broton wrote:
M.A.G wrote:Which one should i get. This one or Taito Legends.
Taito legends without a doubt - only one or two dodgy games out of what, 20+? Do yourself a favour, buy Taito legends!

I agree with the posters above, I bought the Sega collection largely for Golden Axe but the version on this disc is not very good at all.
You can get both Taito Legends 1 and 2 delivered to your door for a total of £20 if you shop on-line. For example, buy Taito Legends 1 from play.com for £8 inc. P&P and buy Taito Legends 2 from blahdvd for £12 inc. P&P.

Bargain.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:34 pm

All the comps are worth getting if you see them for under 15 quid I'd say (cept maybe Midway 3... ergh). Sega really should have included the originals though.

And no Alien Syndrome remake broke my heart. It really did. The reason I believe it's not included is to keep the rating down, which is stupid, yes.