Street Fighter 2 SCE (Megadrive) - Worth getting?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

David

Post by David » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:22 am

seen a copy of this for sale (boxed) for £3.00 yesterday. Never played it on the MD before, what's it like compared to the snes version, etc?

ShadowMan

Re: Street Fighter 2 SCE (Megadrive) - Worth getting?

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:35 am

David wrote:seen a copy of this for sale (boxed) for £3.00 yesterday. Never played it on the MD before, what's it like compared to the snes version, etc?
Graphics and sound wise it is not as good as the Snes version. The tunes are so-so at best, and the voices sound very muffled (Chun Li reminds me of a sheep bleeting!).
Gameplay wise though it is still in top form. For me the Mega Drive pad feels more natural (6 button pad that is!) for Street Fighter than the Snes pad and specials and combo's are easy to pull off. When playing turbo you can still get it flying along at an insane speed if you crank the stars all the way up and most of all it is fun (many a hour wasted in Vs mode!).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:06 am

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:20 am

Buy it!!

Yeah, as Shadowman points out - Chun Li is rather sheepish!

The sounds in general are very "tinny".

You MUST make sure you have or invest in a 6 Button Pad to get the best out of this game though, as the standard three button pad is a chore and you have to use the start button to alternate between punches and kicks.

It's a good port overall, and certainly worth three quid, just nowhere near as fluid as the SNES versions.

SONIC BOOM!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:25 am

If you have a six button pad then it's a winner :)

I still use my Saturn Playstation pad when playing the Street Fighter games on my PS2 - it's a bizarre hybrid but it works :)
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

thl

Post by thl » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:44 pm

I had no problem with the BGMs being remixed, but the voice effects seem to cracked up along the way. Also with the addition of the six-button control pad worked superbly, especially if you're satisfied with the layout comparing to the SNES control pad.

elmosexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:07 pm

well the megadrive only had a very limited sampling ability, so the voices are gonna be somewhat muffled...i'd say it adds character....and to be honest, i always liked mega drive tunes more than snes, due to the harsh and wacky FM synthesis it used...anyway, gameplay is still top notch ^.^ x
+I..AM..ERROR+

RetroKingSimon

Re: ...

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:23 pm

elmosexwhistle wrote:well the megadrive only had a very limited sampling ability, so the voices are gonna be somewhat muffled...i'd say it adds character....and to be honest, i always liked mega drive tunes more than snes, due to the harsh and wacky FM synthesis it used...anyway, gameplay is still top notch ^.^ x
I'll say! Have you heard the speech on MD Gauntlet 4? It's the only thing that stops it from being arcade perfect! :P I generally prefer MD tunes too, I've got loads of MP3's :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Buy it if it's cheap, can't compare with SNES version though - which is just as cheap.

STranger81

good for £3

Post by STranger81 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:24 am

A great port on the Megadrive. A bit tricky with a 3 button pad but still worth a bash. Prefer turbo though

elmosexwhistle

Re: ...

Post by elmosexwhistle » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:15 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:
elmosexwhistle wrote:well the megadrive only had a very limited sampling ability, so the voices are gonna be somewhat muffled...i'd say it adds character....and to be honest, i always liked mega drive tunes more than snes, due to the harsh and wacky FM synthesis it used...anyway, gameplay is still top notch ^.^ x
I'll say! Have you heard the speech on MD Gauntlet 4? It's the only thing that stops it from being arcade perfect! :P I generally prefer MD tunes too, I've got loads of MP3's :)
it was something ridiculous like 11khz 8 bit samples...can't beat those grungy FM guitars though ^.^ x
+I..AM..ERROR+

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:06 am

Very good conversion, it has that ruff and ready kinda Megadrive look compared to the SNES but I thought it helped make it look more arcadey!. The cound isn;t as clear or crisp as the SNES, very crunchy but it's good enough.

Where it does shine is in the gameplay department and with the superb 6 button MD pad the game plays like a dream, even better than the SNES port.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:21 am

I disagree.

Yeah it's good, but apart from the button layout on the SNES pad, it blows the MD version out of the water.

The game is so fluid on the SNES and SF II Turbo is lacking 4 animations from the Arcade version!

I totally understand the "makes it feel more arcadey" comment though
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:24 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:I disagree.

Yeah it's good, but apart from the button layout on the SNES pad, it blows the MD version out of the water.

The game is so fluid on the SNES and SF II Turbo is lacking 4 animations from the Arcade version!

I totally understand the "makes it feel more arcadey" comment though
Out of interest what are the 4 lacking animations?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:31 am

Regardless of the animations, the MD port wins by default due to the fantastic D-Pad that was made specifically for SF2, I mean that pad is bordering on perfection, 6 face buttons (essential for serious SF gameplay) and a lovely loose D-Pad. Don't get me wrong the SNES version I will always prefer personally as it's the version of SF I grew up on, but it's doesn't make it the better game. The SNES pad is OK, but it's not so good for dragon punches or more complex maneuvers like Zangief's 360 piledriver. Snes version looks smooth and bright, where as the MD is dark, dirty and gritty which adds appeal imo.

Also it's worth bearing in mind that the MD port received a better PAL conversion than any of the SNES SF games which were really sloppy. It was properly speed optimised and not letterboxed quite so bad.