Metal Slug collection coming to the PSP

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetStephen

Metal Slug collection coming to the PSP

Post by JetSetStephen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:34 am

Hey guys!

Greetings from a fellow Brit now living in Sydney, Australia :)

Anyway, I was just doing my daily surf of IGN this morning when I came across the news that SNK Playmore have confirmed that they will be releasing a Metal Slug collection for the PSP! :shock:

Apparently it has a November release and is going to include six games from the series: Metal Slug, Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4 and Metal Slug 5, and will feature 2-player wireless co-op play as well.

I'm a huge fan of this series (I own Metal Slug for the Neo Geo AES, plus Metal Slug 3, 4 and 5 for PS2, and even Metal Slug: 1st Mission and Metal Slug: 2nd Mission for the Neo Geo Pocket), so this is very exciting news indeed, and if it's half as good as the Gradius Portable collection released by Konami recently then this is going to be awesome! Can't wait! Woo! :D

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:44 am

Metal Slug 1 and X are the only ones worth owning on this pack. I think by the time Slug 3 was released none of the original staff (except maybe the lead artist) were working on this series and the games were just essentially remixes of the first two games.

Incidently, Metal Slug 6 has just been released in Japan and it has the tag line 'Final Mission'. I hope it is the last game in the series because it's just been flogged to death.

stigodump

Re: Metal Slug collection coming to the PSP

Post by stigodump » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:49 am

JetSetStephen wrote:Hey guys!

Greetings from a fellow Brit now living in Sydney, Australia :)
Alright! Don't rub it in!

'tis good news though. Read it on another forum. I have a NGP plus those games and 1,2,X,3,4,5 on Xbox emulation so this will be a welcome sight.

There's also a GBA one as well which I keep meaning to get.

Welcome to the forum too.

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:59 am

hand_solo wrote:Incidently, Metal Slug 6 has just been released in Japan and it has the tag line 'Final Mission'. I hope it is the last game in the series because it's just been flogged to death.
Well it may be different for video games but in films Friday the 13th part IV was called the Final Chapter. Then the ninth in the series was called Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday and still more sequels came.

Come to think of it wasn't the Tomb Raider series supposed to have come to an end a few years ago?

Mootown

Re:

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:23 am

hand_solo wrote:Metal Slug 1 and X are the only ones worth owning on this pack. I think by the time Slug 3 was released none of the original staff (except maybe the lead artist) were working on this series and the games were just essentially remixes of the first two games.
3 was the last Slug to be 'proper' SNK. And it was freakin awesome, arguably best graphics on Neo.

But I agree X and 1 are the better games :)
Went a little downhill in 4 and 5....

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:28 am

Mootown wrote:
hand_solo wrote:Metal Slug 1 and X are the only ones worth owning on this pack. I think by the time Slug 3 was released none of the original staff (except maybe the lead artist) were working on this series and the games were just essentially remixes of the first two games.
3 was the last Slug to be 'proper' SNK. And it was freakin awesome, arguably best graphics on Neo.

But I agree X and 1 are the better games :)
Went a little downhill in 4 and 5....
Yes, Slug 3 was the last game to be released under the SNK name, but I'm sure that none of the original Nazca staff (Nazca being the company that created the original Metal Slug) worked on it.

Also, 3 isn't awesome. Have you reached stage 2 yet? And about 80% of the sprites were rehashed from the last two games. :roll:

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:32 am

I could be wrong, but I think SNK pretty much bought out Nazca and they became integrated into the SNK system...

Anyway, Slug 3 came out in the same year KOF 99 did and I think Blazing Star was around then. It was when the Neo was pretty much getting maxed out and then it all went tits up when all the staff moved on.

Shame really.

Hey level one of Slug 3 is easy - gets hard at stage 2! I can reach stage 4 in one credit on standard settings. The last stage is a censored take though, it goes on for hours.

And I can do Slug 1 on 1 credit - yay!

I LOVE Metal Slug games :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:42 am

Another thumbs up for 3 from me. It's AWESOME!!!!!

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:10 am

Bah! You people don't know what you're talking about! :lol:

Mootown

Re:

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:20 am

hand_solo wrote:And about 80% of the sprites were rehashed from the last two games.
didn't see that bit of your post before - are you talking about the same game here? 4 certainly rehashed LOADS but 3? It had tons and tons of new sprites/backgrounds etc.
Every boss was new, and I defy anyone to say the crab boss at the end of the first stage looked crap! And the Zombies.. and the Alien boss.. and the wooly mammoth thing.. and and and all those amazing looking insects and and and backgrounds and music and it was AWESOME really. Lets be right.
It was just a little slower paced and sludgy feeling I thought than the previous titles.

lamer

Post by lamer » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:52 pm

I've only played the Metal Slug series via MAME, but I must say the games are AWESOME! The attention to little detailts in the sprites and in the backgrounds are just breathtaking. Now were did I put my PSP...
Hello, Professor Falken...

JetSetStephen

Re: Metal Slug collection coming to the PSP

Post by JetSetStephen » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:01 pm

stigodump wrote:Alright! Don't rub it in!
Lol, sorry, I wasn't trying to boast or anything, and besides, there's nothing wrong with the UK! It's home to the world's best retro gaming magazine (amongst many other things), and I still consider it 'home' :wink:
stigodump wrote:There's also a GBA one as well which I keep meaning to get.
Oh yes, that's right, Metal Slug Advance; I'd completely forgotten about that one, well remembered. It's supposed to be pretty good from all accounts, too.
stigodump wrote:Welcome to the forum too.
Thanks Stigodump, much appreciated and it's good to be here :)

onlinebacon

Post by onlinebacon » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:58 am

Wow, yet another reason to buy a PSP, sounds cool, playing good ol' slug walking down the street, or maybe at school, during maths :P