Nintendo Revolution to play Megadrive and TG16 games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:43 am

I see a lot of people saying how much of a success Nintendo are having with the Gamecube despite coming 3rd in sales of machines but if there are fewer units in homes then that's less games being sold.

Xbox and PS2 while they maybe making a loss on machines have a lot more machines out there and therefore more games being bought which is where the real profit comes from.

Or are you saying that Sony and Microsoft are still making a loss despite how many games may have been sold?

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:56 am

Well Microsoft are making a loss in respect to my XBOX as I bought it second hand.

Sony on the otherhand did make some money out of me. I bought a PSX from new but sold it on a few months later (and a couple of years later bought a second hand one), and I also bought a PS2 from new about 4 years ago, but again sold it. My latest PS2 was given to my by a relative.

On the other hand, my daughters Gamecube was bought new. I would have bought another one new from Makro if they had any left!

I could also point out that the XBOX is cheap as chips at Makro. I think it's about £70 inc VAT (or it was a month or so back). The catch with that though is finding someone who is a Makro card holder.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Cornelius

Re:

Post by Cornelius » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:27 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Let's just hope they don't make these downloads region specific, if they do we wont be getting any Turbografx love :(
That would be a nightmare. I would really like to see games like Earthbound, Sin & Punishment and Super Mario RPG be available for us to get for our consoles.

The gamecube may be great for kids but in reality it's great for everybody who love playing videogames.

When people say it's 'kiddie' it's like they think it only has preschooler educational software or something.

Of course they're wrong. Many of the games look colourful and beautiful and look like they don't take themselves too seriously. Most of Nintendo's games are fun, just pure fun.

There are immensely challenging games available too. On top of that there are a number of mature titles available for the console you won't get anywhere else and they include a dark atmosphere, guns and violence galore etc.

Playing games in general is associated with people who haven't really grown up anyway so its just something people need to get over.

There's no shame in playing games on any console whether its playstation or nintendo or xbox or anything. Having an attitude just results in you missing out on great games.

As for Nintendo's success their gamecube console is profitable. PS2 and XBOX consoles were sold at a loss but their success comes from software sales. Not to say that gamecubes software sales aren't profitable.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:42 pm

stigodump wrote:I see a lot of people saying how much of a success Nintendo are having with the Gamecube despite coming 3rd in sales of machines but if there are fewer units in homes then that's less games being sold.

Xbox and PS2 while they maybe making a loss on machines have a lot more machines out there and therefore more games being bought which is where the real profit comes from.

Or are you saying that Sony and Microsoft are still making a loss despite how many games may have been sold?
A conservative estimate puts Microsoft's XBOX division losses at well over a billion since 2002. I've heard figures up to 4 billion.
The catch with that though is finding someone who is a Makro card holder.
Yo.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Get_in_Gear

Re:

Post by Get_in_Gear » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:32 pm

revgiblet wrote:I bought a platinum GameCube on Saturday. It was an impulse purchase forced by the fact that I could get a limited edition GameCube with Zelda: The Wind Waker & Ocarina of Time for less than the price of a 360 game.

I'm quite happy that the GameCube's lack of sales means I got a brand new one very cheap right at the end of its shelf life. It's a win win situation!

I can't find any games for it though, but that's OK because I also bought Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Cold Fear for my PS2 so I don't need any more games right now.

To summarise - I don't care whether the GC was a failure or not. I be happy.
That's pretty much my take on things too.

I paid full whack for my PS2, and have spent numerous, anti-social hours ploughing through the likes of Final Fantasy X, Star Wars: Battlefront and Transformers.

Last year I picked up a Gamecube bundled with Donkey Konga, and it still gets wheeled out whenever there are a few friends around (yeah - we're easily pleased).
It now turns out I've spent just as many hours "serious gaming" on the GC too, with games like Zelda: The Wind Waker & Ocarina of Time, Mario Sunshine and so on.
GC Resident Evil 4 cost me a lot less than it would if I had bought it for my PS2.

All I'm saying is that, regardless of whether it was a commmercial success or failure, I've had as much fun out of my Gamecube as I have my PS2.
And for a lot less money.

IMHO, all three of the last generation consoles were a disappointment.
I could list the truly great games from the past five years on my fingers.
The only reason we need the X-Box 360 is "because they can make one".
The industry is not led by ideas and games anymore, it is led by technology which - at the end of the day - does not an original and enjoyable gaming experience make.
OK, maybe it has always been that way.
But I can't help feeling that the motivation should be: "I have a great idea for a game - how can I realise it?" rather than "This new hardware can create these graphics and these sounds - cool, let's churn out some games that use them."

I think we still need Nintendo in the game.
Childish though it they seem, at least there is that sense of fun.
I'd hate the industry to become a po-faced, adult-only environment.
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:44 pm

The world would be a sadder place without Nintendo
Forget about graphics,sound etc.,they're just for spectators - playability is all that matters-thats why we like Retro
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:14 am

revgiblet wrote:I bought a platinum GameCube on Saturday. It was an impulse purchase forced by the fact that I could get a limited edition GameCube with Zelda: The Wind Waker & Ocarina of Time for less than the price of a 360 game.
Where did you get it from and how much was it?

I'm after another Gamecube for the kids room.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:52 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Let's just hope they don't make these downloads region specific, if they do we wont be getting any Turbografx love :(
You hold considerable influence and sway as retro overlord of the British isles, write to them officially as "Supreme Commander of the good ship Retro Gamer", stating and demanding, that the magazine and it's readers want region-free retro games on the Revolution. For good measure, send them a photo of yourself dressed as a Navy admiral, to really emphasise the whole millitary aspect of the retro world.

Then write an article about it!

(actually, you might want to leave out the admiral uniform, no point in going overboard with things. ;) Oh, I slay myself sometimes!)

Still, if they're made aware of such things, they might bother doing something about. Since if we can't get JPN and USA retro games here, I might just have to import myself a Rev.

Oh, and one other thing, I hope they have decent screen filters that allow you to turn OFF the anti-aliasing. The AA that the Xbox hardware FORCES through, almost ruins the whole emulation experience.

If I want anti-aliasing on my retro games, I'd rub vaseline all over my eyes, or my TV, or both!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:57 am

I got it from Toys R Us in Hove. It was...hmmm...£49.99. So that makes it about the same as a 360 game then rather than much cheaper. Sorry.

They had the standard GameCube package, the Metroid Prime one, the Zelda: Wind Waker one, and the Limited Edition Zelda: Wind Waker one. They were all £49.99, so I don't know who would buy the standard pack for the same price as one that came with a game.

I was pulled in by the fact that it was a 'ULTRA RARE!!! LIMITED EDITION!!!' platinum cube, but I still think that was a good price.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:34 am

You see here we have actual evidence of shops almost giving the consoles and games away just to rid of them, and we have people on here claiming the GC was a success. :shock:

That is a top bargain though none the less.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:40 am

Way to ignore any and all points made in favour of a cheap shot.

Toys R Us have done silly deals with all 3 machines before.

Plus your arguement there holds about as much water as "They just stopped making the PS1. Guess it wasn't a success"
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:01 am

revgiblet wrote:I got it from Toys R Us in Hove. It was...hmmm...£49.99. So that makes it about the same as a 360 game then rather than much cheaper. Sorry.

They had the standard GameCube package, the Metroid Prime one, the Zelda: Wind Waker one, and the Limited Edition Zelda: Wind Waker one. They were all £49.99, so I don't know who would buy the standard pack for the same price as one that came with a game.

I was pulled in by the fact that it was a 'ULTRA RARE!!! LIMITED EDITION!!!' platinum cube, but I still think that was a good price.
Great, I'll have to make a point to visit Toys 'r' us.
hand-solo wrote:You see here we have actual evidence of shops almost giving the consoles and games away just to rid of them, and we have people on here claiming the GC was a success.

That is a top bargain though none the less.
My idea of almost giving them away would be under a tenner. I do agree though, £49 is a bargain since my local Gamestation is selling second hand GC's for about £35, personally I'd go for the new one with 12 months warranty.

The Limited edition one, is it a special colour?

My daughter already has the silver Mario Kart Double Dash bundle pack.

Rob

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:03 am

The interesting thing about the TRU deal is that it presents one of three possibilities:

1. This is a stock dump, with the chain trying to get as much cash as possible from "dead stock";
2. It's a loss-leader: sell the console at a loss, but try to make up the money from other purchases;
3. Despite the reduction in price, the chain is still making a profit (or breaking even) on the sale price.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:17 am

All of which point to the fact that essentially this is a console that on the whole consumers don't want.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:26 am

EnglishRob wrote: The Limited edition one, is it a special colour?

My daughter already has the silver Mario Kart Double Dash bundle pack.

Rob
Only if you class silver as a special colour. It might be in the same series as the Mario Kart one.

They had the Zelda pack and the Limited Edition Zelda pack. Both kits were identical and included The Wind Waker (awesome game, BTW) and Ocarina of Time. The only difference was the colour of the console and controller. The normal pack had a normal GameCube in it, the Ltd Edition had a 'platinum' (i.e. silver) one.

Silver wouldn't be my first choice of colour - in fact I'd probably have preferred the standard purple Cube - but I bought it for the same reason that I bought the tin box Resident Evil 4 for my PS2. If it's a choice between something collectible and something slightly more collectible I'll go for slightly more collectible.

Might not have bothered if the standard pack had cost less than £49.99 though.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian