Nintendo Revolution to play Megadrive and TG16 games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Szczepaniak

Re:

Post by Szczepaniak » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:37 am

hand_solo wrote: Szczepaniak, you post on insert credit
:wink:
My secret is out! :shock:

How did you know?
Then again I also post on NTSC-uk, and RLLMUK, so it's no biggie. :roll:

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:27 am

Szczepaniak wrote:Crikey... :shock:

I really like Animal Crossing, I bought it on import from the USA for the Cube. It was great trading NES games and fruit with friends.

And the Pokemon games are of a high quality, FACT. It's only the marketing and merchandise which is so repulsive. Underneath that, the games are basically just really good RPGs, with some excellent innovations.

Besides, is anyone here really concerned about all this, when there's a chance we could be playing our retro console favourites on it for cheap? Stop being so cynical, and try dreaming a bit.

We're talking PCE games here, chaps. A system that never made it to the UK, and now we should finally be able to partake in them!

Let's not discuss their other business plans in this topic, we should be pleased about what it means for the retro scene.
Well it sort of is relevant. But the crux of it is how much will these games cost. Now I'm normally an optimist about most things. This announcement is fantastic news. But life has taught me also to be a pessimist. There is usually a sting in the tale and that "sting" could very well be the price of the games.

Although to be honest I have almost all the PCE games I want already (about 100) so to get ME going they'd have to be REALLY cheap.

In fact seeing as I own the original games they should be free for me to download really.

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:39 am

Mainstream? Pah! That's small potatoes for Nintendo.

Look at it this way. Core gamers - the ones who buy 360s and PS3s - make up about 10% of the world's population. Nintendo are aiming the DS and Revolution at ordinary people: the other 90%.

Nintendogs has been fantastically popular with women (abot 60% of buyers were women I believe), Brain Training is being advertised in Saga (a pensioners' magazine) and the Rev has been designed around the TV remote to make it familiar to people who don't normally play games.

Don't tell me Nintendo will fail because they don't appeal to mainstream gamers. Nintendogs, Brain Training, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing have already sold a million units each. No console has ever done that with any game in its first year but the DS has done it with FOUR.

Get down.

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:39 am

stigodump wrote: Although to be honest I have almost all the PCE games I want already (about 100) so to get ME going they'd have to be REALLY cheap.

In fact seeing as I own the original games they should be free for me to download really.
There are quite a few people out there who don't have the originals. Another point is, since some of the PCE games are on cards, how are Nintendo to work out that you have the originals. I could see it working for CD games where you pop in the original CD as proof you have them.

I think the point of this though is for gamers who don't have the original machines which would probably be a fair few people. Then theres the typical every day people who buy a first console for the kids. They would probably like the idea of cheap games rather than paying £30 to £40 per game (how much was Animal Crossing on the Gamecube, about £40 wasn't it?).

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:43 am

Ash wrote: Brain Training is being advertised in Saga (a pensioners' magazine).
Ahh, now I know what to get my Gran for her birthday. She's 90 this year and she says part of the reason she's still got her marbles is due to the fact she likes doing puzzle books.

Maybe if I start her off now on a DS, she'll be playing in some DS world championship if and when she's 100 :)

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:44 am

EnglishRob wrote:
stigodump wrote: Although to be honest I have almost all the PCE games I want already (about 100) so to get ME going they'd have to be REALLY cheap.

There are quite a few people out there who don't have the originals. Another point is, since some of the PCE games are on cards, how are Nintendo to work out that you have the originals. I could see it working for CD games where you pop in the original CD as proof you have them.

I think the point of this though is for gamers who don't have the original machines which would probably be a fair few people. Then theres the typical every day people who buy a first console for the kids. They would probably like the idea of cheap games rather than paying £30 to £40 per game (how much was Animal Crossing on the Gamecube, about £40 wasn't it?).

Rob
Don't forget that for many of their retro games Nintendo will be improving the graphics and adding new elements. I wouldn't be suprised if Sega and Hudson don't follow suit. That would be worth a couple of quid in itself.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:46 am

EnglishRob wrote:
Ash wrote: Brain Training is being advertised in Saga (a pensioners' magazine).
Ahh, now I know what to get my Gran for her birthday. She's 90 this year and she says part of the reason she's still got her marbles is due to the fact she likes doing puzzle books.

Maybe if I start her off now on a DS, she'll be playing in some DS world championship if and when she's 100 :)

Rob
I'm not sure if you're joking but I actually agree with you. I bought my Grandad a Game Boy plus Tetris and Dr Mario a few years ago. He loves it as it keeps his mind occupied and he now spends his time downloading freeware puzzle games on the PC. Old gamers rule.

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:46 am

Ash wrote: Don't forget that for many of their retro games Nintendo will be improving the graphics and adding new elements. I wouldn't be suprised if Sega and Hudson don't follow suit. That would be worth a couple of quid in itself.
Ha! more likely this will be the excuse given as to why it costs £9.99 to download a 15 year old game. :P

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:47 am

hand_solo wrote:
Ash wrote: Don't forget that for many of their retro games Nintendo will be improving the graphics and adding new elements. I wouldn't be suprised if Sega and Hudson don't follow suit. That would be worth a couple of quid in itself.
Ha! more likely this will be the excuse given as to why it costs £9.99 to download a 15 year old game. :P
Well nobody's forcing you to pay up. Just go out and buy the original cartridges instead.

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:58 am

Ash wrote:
hand_solo wrote:
Well nobody's forcing you to pay up. Just go out and buy the original cartridges instead.
lol this is exactly my point. Stupid old Nintendo will probably try and charge more for these re-releases than it would cost to buy some old carts from a boot sale.

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:59 am

Oh thats even better. One thing that did disapoint me about the NES classics on the GBA is that they didn't do a revamped version to go along side the original version on the same cart, kinda like along the lines of what happened with Bubble Bobble Old & New on the GBA.

Rob

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:01 am

hand_solo wrote:
Ash wrote:
hand_solo wrote: Ha! more likely this will be the excuse given as to why it costs £9.99 to download a 15 year old game. :P
lol this is exactly my point. Stupid old Nintendo will probably try and charge more for these re-releases than it would cost to buy some old carts from a boot sale.
That's fair enough and I actually agree with you. What I am interested in however is the rarer games. If Sega can, for example, offer Streets of Rage 3 for less than a tenner then I'll pay, no problem.

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:04 am

hand_solo wrote:
Ash wrote:
hand_solo wrote: Ha! more likely this will be the excuse given as to why it costs £9.99 to download a 15 year old game. :P
But maybe they won't. We don't know for sure until Nintendo actually announce something (or until the Revolution is released).

Fair enough, if they charge £10 for an old game, then that would be a bit much, but maybe they might follow the other companies who are releasing multi-game compilations and either release a few games for £10 (say 5 games for a tenner) or release them individually at low prices.

I think for the majority of us with PC's etc, we could just play the games through emulators, but for some people who don't know how to use emulators, they may well like the idea of checking out some cheaper classics.

Rob

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:05 am

Ash wrote:
hand_solo wrote:
Ash wrote: Well nobody's forcing you to pay up. Just go out and buy the original cartridges instead.
That's fair enough and I actually agree with you. What I am interested in however is the rarer games. If Sega can, for example, offer Streets of Rage 3 for less than a tenner then I'll pay, no problem.
That's a fine point.

And, if they really did put some effort into the updates then I'd like to see something like Starwing with a super smooth frame rate (damn unlikely though). :cry:

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:07 am

hand_solo wrote: And, if they really did put some effort into the updates then I'd like to see something like Starwing with a super smooth frame rate (damn unlikely though). :cry:
Oooh Starwing/Starfox with updated graphics. That would be nice.

Rob