Nintendo Revolution to play Megadrive and TG16 games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:36 am

Mootown wrote:
hand_solo wrote:Don't get me wrong, I want this to work. But Nintendo have been out of touch with what mainstream gamers want for so long it won't be easy for them to convince people they've got it right this time.
Erm ... Nintendo aren't exactly out of touch with mainstream gamers though are they?

Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, even Pokemon..
As mainstream as you like and they sell in bucket loads.
Nintendogs was one of the biggest selling games at Christmas....
All of which are crap.

You're not going to tell me you have these games?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:37 am

animal crossing sucks the biggest arse EVER, hand solo you owe me £1000 because of your 'suggestion' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:38 am

lol exactly

What is it with this perpetual myth that Animal Crossing is good? I could see the appeal if you were 6 years old but for twenty somethings, it's laughable. Same applies to Pokemon, Nintendogs, Kirby and every other overly milked Nintendo franchise.

The DS is succesful cos it's cheap enough for kids to own and play childish games on, when it comes to the more expensive home consoles Ninty has gotta entice grown ups to part with their cash.

EDIT:Koops, I know, I know. My biggest message board shame is not only buying it on others recomendations but then recomending it to you. :oops: I maintain it might have been fun if you had other people's towns to visit. But no, it was just censored.
Last edited by Kaede on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:39 am

Without wanting to argue, Mainstream means popular usually and Nintendo know how to sell to a massive market. Just because they are kids doesn't stop them being mainstream gamers. The demographic Nintendo appeal to might not appeal to peeps on this forum, but they certainly know how to sell games.
I know what you mean though. And Nintendogs I actually thought was great. I like games that make me smile and not blatant warzone drug gang warfare simulations.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:40 am

Never before has so much censored been written in a single RG thread.

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:43 am

Crikey... :shock:

I really like Animal Crossing, I bought it on import from the USA for the Cube. It was great trading NES games and fruit with friends.

And the Pokemon games are of a high quality, FACT. It's only the marketing and merchandise which is so repulsive. Underneath that, the games are basically just really good RPGs, with some excellent innovations.

Besides, is anyone here really concerned about all this, when there's a chance we could be playing our retro console favourites on it for cheap? Stop being so cynical, and try dreaming a bit.

We're talking PCE games here, chaps. A system that never made it to the UK, and now we should finally be able to partake in them!

Let's not discuss their other business plans in this topic, we should be pleased about what it means for the retro scene.

koopa42

Re:

Post by koopa42 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:45 am

Spiff wrote:Never before has so much censored been written in a single RG thread.
I'm sorry? you have seen the gaming behind bars thread yes? that is full of far more censored then this thread. Much of this thread is FACT

FACT

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:47 am

Spiff wrote:Never before has so much censored been written in a single RG thread.
Worse than the 'Retro loading noises thread'? :roll:

No, I think you'll find you're talking out of your arse. Come back when you have more posts and something relevant to say.

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:50 am

hand_solo wrote:Don't get me wrong, I want this to work. But Nintendo have been out of touch with what mainstream gamers want for so long it won't be easy for them to convince people they've got it right this time.
Mainstream being endless first person shooters and Fifa games?

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Mootown

Re:

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:50 am

Szczepaniak wrote: Let's not discuss their other business plans in this topic, we should be pleased about what it means for the retro scene.
I have to agree on that. I like what I like, and you like what you like. I'm not going to stop playing games I like just because someone else doesn't like it.

Be cool just being able to play PC Kid again :)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:52 am

never has a thread had so many valid sig quotes:

Never before has so much censored been written in a single RG thread

No, I think you'll find you're talking out of your arse. Come back when you have more posts and something relevant to say

I really like Animal Crossing, I bought it on import from the USA for the Cube

animal crossing sucks the biggest arse EVER, hand solo you owe me £1000 because of your 'suggestion'

This could be very good. But I'm not holding my breath

Let's not discuss their other business plans in this topic, we should be pleased about what it means for the retro scene

LOL head asplode at the choices

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:53 am

Szczepaniak wrote:Crikey... :shock:

I really like Animal Crossing, I bought it on import from the USA for the Cube. It was great trading NES games and fruit with friends.

And the Pokemon games are of a high quality, FACT. It's only the marketing and merchandise which is so repulsive. Underneath that, the games are basically just really good RPGs, with some excellent innovations.

Besides, is anyone here really concerned about all this, when there's a chance we could be playing our retro console favourites on it for cheap? Stop being so cynical, and try dreaming a bit.

We're talking PCE games here, chaps. A system that never made it to the UK, and now we should finally be able to partake in them!

Let's not discuss their other business plans in this topic, we should be pleased about what it means for the retro scene.
Szczepaniak, you post on insert credit so therefore you like every peice of crap that fullfils the following criteria:

1.It's Japanese
2.It's bonkers
3.It's by Nintendo
4.It's really meant to be played by 5 year olds

:wink:

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:54 am

EnglishRob wrote:
Mainstream being endless first person shooters and Fifa games?

Rob
Yes, because this is what would sell the console. I don't like it, neither do you. But Ninty should concentrate on doing everything it can to make it successful then hit us with the credible gaming censored.

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:57 am

koopa42 wrote:
I'm sorry? you have seen the gaming behind bars thread yes? that is full of far more censored then this thread.
Apart from my contributions of course. :wink:

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:57 am

It's not Nintendo that needs to make those kind of games. It's getting publishers onboard like EA and Ubisoft etc to release the games like that in order to appeal to the mass market. Nintendo needs (and most likely will) stick to making it's own great style of games.

But I don't care as long as I can play PC Kid :D :D