Nintendo Revolution to play Megadrive and TG16 games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Szczepaniak

Nintendo Revolution to play Megadrive and TG16 games

Post by Szczepaniak » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:54 am

It's all over the net by now, but I see no topic on it here.

The Nintendo Revolution will play Sega Megadrive games, and TurboGrafx16/PC Engine games, as part of it's retro back catalogue strategy.

I think this is great news for the retro scene, since with these consoles being covered, Retro Gamer will likely be even more valuable in future to help point newcomers (and oldies) in the directions of great obscure games they may never have heard of before.

At least, that's what I think.

Especially if Nintendo (and the others) allow the British isles to finally play Japanese and American only games.

The future's bright, the future is retro! ;)

Shin_Gouki

Re: Nintendo Revolution to play Megadrive and TG16 games

Post by Shin_Gouki » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:12 am

How will it do this? If it's just an in built emulator that seems strange...
真・豪鬼

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:24 am

How will it do this?

Playing past games is all part of nintendo's strategy!

The Rev will be able to legally and officially download NES, SNES, MD, TG16 games, plus play GC games, and newer Rev titles.

The system will emulate past games, and Nintendo is having a big drive to have these games downloaded, presumably for a small fee like Xbox Live Arcade.

The whole thing is geared to both play old, and new games!

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:29 am

Thats good, I just hope they don't make a complete balls up of it.

I'm waiting eagerly for the Revolution. I think that'll be the first next gen system I buy.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:37 am

This is good as long as it's cheap, we get to play imports and Nintendo don't censored up the download process.

Unfortunately, being Nintendo it won't be cheap, we will not get imports and Nintendo will censored up the download process.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:48 am

hand_solo wrote:Unfortunately, being Nintendo it won't be cheap
That's what worries me, frankly. This is the company that put out GBA conversions of NES games for £15 a pop, despite the fact that all of the releases could quite happily have fitted on a single cart. Here's hoping that Nintendo will learn from the impulse buying on the likes of Xbox Live Arcade and services such as iTunes. I suspect if the company had enough guts to reissue these old games for a quid or two each, people would download dozens of the things.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:39 am

Nintendo have said game downloads will be fairly cheap, but what's 'cheap' depends on the individual. Can only wait and see.

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:46 am

Well cheap (i.e. a quid or two per download) sounds good, especially if it means we don't have to mess around with mod chips and the like to load up homebrew emulators.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:52 am

Good if it's cheap.

Wasted oppertunity if Nintendo try to milk it's fans dry by overpricing.

I can only imagine that their own back catalogue would be quite cheap but games from Hudson and Sega would cost more surely. Then there's games by other developers on those sytems.

But if Nintendo intended to bleed their fans dry with the NES Collection on GBA what's to stop them doing the same here?

This could be very good. But I'm not holding my breath.

READBOY

Post by READBOY » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:45 am

Alot of doubts expressed here, and I think the Nintendo of old deserves these questions.

However looking at Nintendo right now e.g. post DS.

Free Wi Fi based on-line gaming structure which now includes voice over IP for Metroid Prime Hunters.

THis week 600 new Wi Fi hotspots were opened in games stores for the free download of demos to your DS. Also many DS games allow a free demo download option via DS wireless networking.

I think we can rest easy that they won't be fleecing us this time around.

I'm also excited that the downloads won't just be for old games via emulation, but for smaller new and potentially unique titles.

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:01 am

Don't get me wrong, I want this to work. But Nintendo have been out of touch with what mainstream gamers want for so long it won't be easy for them to convince people they've got it right this time.

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:17 am

hand_solo wrote:Don't get me wrong, I want this to work. But Nintendo have been out of touch with what mainstream gamers want for so long it won't be easy for them to convince people they've got it right this time.
Retro isn't really mainstream though is it? and besides...Nintendo have already made it clear that they're not targeting mainstream gamers.

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:24 am

Ash wrote:
hand_solo wrote:Don't get me wrong, I want this to work. But Nintendo have been out of touch with what mainstream gamers want for so long it won't be easy for them to convince people they've got it right this time.
Retro isn't really mainstream though is it? and besides...Nintendo have already made it clear that they're not targeting mainstream gamers.
What I meant was I hope the Rev. is a success. But from what you've just posted, it won't be.

Mootown

Re:

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:28 am

Erm ... Nintendo aren't exactly out of touch with mainstream gamers though are they?

Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, even Pokemon..
As mainstream as you like and they sell in bucket loads.
Nintendogs was one of the biggest selling games at Christmas....

People think Cube failure but then forget DS is in fact currently outselling most things..

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:33 am

Mootown wrote:
Erm ... Nintendo aren't exactly out of touch with mainstream gamers though are they?

Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, even Pokemon..
As mainstream as you like and they sell in bucket loads.
Nintendogs was one of the biggest selling games at Christmas....

People think Cube failure but then forget DS is in fact currently outselling most things..
lol

Nintendo are way out of touch with mainstream gamers. Nintendogs, Animal Crossing and Pokemon are popular with children and are among the most uncool videogames you could possibly buy. Mainstream gamers care about things such as this.