Little Gaming Things That Annoy You

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 am

MikeHaggar wrote:Triple

CoD4 seems to have gotten it right.
Quadruple agreed.

I'm not sure how many other games do this (I'm new to the 360 scene) but at least on Perfect Dark Zero you can rack up a lot of the achievements by playing offline deathmatches against bots. It's hardly the most fun or interesting way to play though :(

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:33 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
MikeHaggar wrote:Triple

CoD4 seems to have gotten it right.
Quadruple agreed.

I'm not sure how many other games do this (I'm new to the 360 scene) but at least on Perfect Dark Zero you can rack up a lot of the achievements by playing offline deathmatches against bots. It's hardly the most fun or interesting way to play though :(
FEAR has a few online achievements (all gets X number of kills with x weapon), Prey has the same layout, same with Gears of War. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head but I'm sure there are many more like that.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:51 am

stejay wrote:I hate it when developers port old, great arcade and computer games ont the PS2 or other
Or do a really cheap-ass "re-imagining" of a classic title - Sega hang you head in shame:

Sega Rally (PS3, 360) = Good

Altered Beast (Project Altered Beast PS2), Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 05 Golden Axe (September 25, 2003) = Bad

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Impossibly hard shoot-em-ups, anything by Treasure really.

Aaaaaargh! WTF?

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:55 pm

sscott wrote:Impossibly hard shoot-em-ups, anything by Treasure really.
You wouldn't like what i've just been playing then... =-)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:57 pm

Did you have to wear the maids outfit to play it?

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:24 pm

SirClive wrote:Did you have to wear the maids outfit to play it?
i'm totally innocent... and for once i really am, i was just playing a very difficult scrolling shoot 'em up is all. =-)

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:45 am

Virtua Tennis 3 on PSP, always getting beaten by Tim Henman. Even when I'm one set up, he will always do a comeback by hitting a million miles an hour shots which are impossible to hit back & completely exaggerated to what he can actually do. If he did those shots in real life, he would have been the undisputed tennis champion of all time. Also in the game, the AI knowing exactly where your shot will land even before you take a swing when you progress in the later rounds. Without this sort of AI cheating the game would be easy but the difficulty can be so enormous, it puts me off the game very easily.

oswald

Post by oswald » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:47 pm

rather funny than annoying, but definitely makes you feel you're in a game and not in the real world:

- in COD2 when one died from your squad you got an instant replacement with no limits.
- you had to approach enemy first and then your squad followed you

this boiled down playing the game with this tactic to me: suicidically rush into the enemy house/bunker/etc. find a hiding place, kill any enemy thats necessary to survive(this all happened in a matter of seconds), then wait till squad kills the rest :lol:

the "survive next 5 minutes until reinforcements arrive" scenarios were also hillarious. when I was bored and tried to simply hide in a bunker, suddenly I was facing dozens of grenades thrown after me, and 3 squads of enemies running after me :) certainly the game wanted me to fight like rambo instead of sitting peacefully in the bunker and waiting. and it was indeed virtually impossible to survive passively in a hiding place :lol:

stejay

Post by stejay » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:08 am

Games that totally copy other games. Games magazines that compare any sadbox-shoot em ups to the GTA series. That is damn unfair.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Add to this list 'pointless Xbox Live achievements'

I'm playing through Kameo: Elements Of Power at the mo. When you find an elemental sprite, you get an achivement. When you rescue certain charactersm you get another achievement.

Why then, when you rescue characters who then give you elemental sprites as a reward, do you get 2 separate achievements? One for the rescue & then one for the sprite is stupid, because you don't do anything....receiving the sprite is just part of a cutscene. Maybe it makes some people feel good to have an extra achievement to show off but personally I feel like I've achieved NOTHING and it annoys the hell out of me.

typej-084

Post by typej-084 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:13 am

RTS games on console :evil:, C&C on xbox360 was ok but.....mehhh..... :?
Don't make me show you the mirror....

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:33 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Add to this list 'pointless Xbox Live achievements'

I'm playing through Kameo: Elements Of Power at the mo. When you find an elemental sprite, you get an achivement. When you rescue certain charactersm you get another achievement.

Why then, when you rescue characters who then give you elemental sprites as a reward, do you get 2 separate achievements? One for the rescue & then one for the sprite is stupid, because you don't do anything....receiving the sprite is just part of a cutscene. Maybe it makes some people feel good to have an extra achievement to show off but personally I feel like I've achieved NOTHING and it annoys the hell out of me.
I agree, I've never really 'got' achievements. I guess if you're right into a game they give you something else to focus on, but if the game doesn't make you want t play it in the first place then I achievements aren't much of an incentive.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:42 am

C=Style wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:Add to this list 'pointless Xbox Live achievements'

I agree, I've never really 'got' achievements. I guess if you're right into a game they give you something else to focus on, but if the game doesn't make you want t play it in the first place then I achievements aren't much of an incentive.
I enjoy doing as much as I can in a game which is why I like achievements. Some games don't try which are the ones which give you them for just playing the game (Transformers has one for Transforming for the first time, Guitar Hero has them for playing the tutorials etc.) but the ones I love are where games challenge you to do something tough/different in the game.

For example Kane and Lynch has a great achievement where you need to finish the Nightclub level without killing civilians. Simple premise but it is PACKED (you can't walk without bumping into about 5 of the people!). Add that to the fact that it is very dark and enemies are well hidden in the crouds it makes for a tough yet fun achievement. Most of Dead Risings are for entertaining stunts/optional objectives you can do in the game which for me adds to the games replay value.

Much better than completing Chapter 2 or getting 100 kills on X game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Titan

Post by Titan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:36 pm

When achievements are done right, its fine, but yeah the Kameo system sounds absolutely ridiculous. What I can't abide by, is when they are made as replacements for unlockable goodies: I'm looking at YOU, Sonic 360!

SMASH BROS FRIEND CODE: 1075-2488-1508