Games that have taken over your life

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Wildnites wrote:
AlleyKat wrote: I even got up an hour early before work a few mornings to explore that sodding castle.

:shock:

If I starting playing a game before work, I would end up calling work and throwing a sickie.....

I best not start trying that :wink:
Ha! Yeah that could be a problem, i guess. My flat was about five minutes away from my workplace, so i could cut it pretty close...
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:01 pm

SirClive wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:I even got up an hour early before work a few mornings to explore that sodding castle.
Are we talking about the same kinds of games :shock:
Nah, going to work wouldnt be possible after such brutish action :wink:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Dune on the ST. I played it for a week solid while at Uni. I survived on oranges and Skips crisps until I beat it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:44 pm

- Virtual Pool 3, I was superb at it (probably top 20 in the world on my ranking). Was fun to talk to yanks playing online and waiting to play next.
- Bounty Bob Strikes Back - played that solidly for 6 months.
- Mr. Do - played more than any other game (hence the avatar)
- Half Life Franchise - played all versions at least 3-4 time each all way through.
- Buggy Boy (ST), still play every other day.
- Dungeon Master (ST) took me six months to complete
- Street Fighter 2 (SNES) most played multiplayer game.
- Doom (PS1) played that for a fortnight to get over a break-up (many moons ago)
- Unreal Tournament '99, pretty good at that too, god bless the flak cannon.
- Wii Sports

Dan1980

Post by Dan1980 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:01 pm

every GTA game right from the psx to now.
serious sam(xbox and gamecube versions 1 and 2)
Halo and the resident evil games. (the only one i never completed was the 1st one on the ps1)

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:25 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Championship Manager / Football Manager - I dread to think how many hours I have put into these games since I first played CM on the Amiga in 1993.
Indeed. I still play CM '93 (definitely one of the best ones IMO) now and again, but the thing is, when I start I find it rather difficult to stop.

I mean, I must have problems when I proudly boast to people how I managed to win the Premier League with Brentford after being 13 points behind top spot halfway through the season :shock:

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:57 pm

Hmmm, Where do I start. Bubble Bobble Used to eat up all of my time when I was younger on the C64. More recently Pro evo soccer games, Burnout 3 takedown & Doom 3 all on X-Box have taken up TONS of my time. :P:P
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Command and Conquer and Total Annihilation were the main culprits. I always wanted to be active in the TA 3rd party scene but my PC was never good enough for it...damn that 60 mhz processor & 32mb RAM

elmosexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:10 pm

I love immersive and deep games, some notable ones that, once i started playing, i had to play for hours every day, include:

LOZ, Ocarina Of Time (i think that's expected really),
Anachronox,
Monkey Island Trilogy,
Panzer Dragoon Saga, (That was RG's fault, actually, lol)

^.^ x
+I..AM..ERROR+

golgo13

Post by golgo13 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:47 am

What ever RPG/JRPG/SRPG I am play at the time. Currently its split between FF12 and FFT on the PSP.
Crown the wise, harness the talented and cherish the lucky.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:10 pm

On the Speccy - Elite (no, really)
Amiga - Frontier, Syndicate
PS1- all the Wipeouts, Resi Evil 1, Exhumed and DOOM

PC - This is where it gets bad.
Unreal
DEUS EX
System Shock 2
Unreal Tournament
GTA3
Soldier of Fortune
Half LIfe
Project IGI (Hey, I had a FPS thing going on, I'd just bought a PC!!!)
I bought a PS2 off my skint mate JUST to play Vice City, and I may have to check my save (I still have it) but it got a bit ridiculous, the save went into hundreds of hours but this doesn't count mission retries, and general hours spent f@cking about in that world. San Andreas comes close too.
Oh and when Vice City came out on the PC, I modded the cr@p out of it for MONTHS on end.
Out of all the above, Elite gets the gold. It interfered with school, it was all me and my mates talked about, it affected my GCSE's...it wasn't good.

Well actually, it was. :lol:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:16 pm

Obviously you're a bit of an Elite fan, but did you find Frontier just as compelling as Elite? I ask because I never really played Elite properly before, but I did get really engrossed in Frontier. Even the manuals and little hand books that came with the games were an excellent read and really helped give the game that extra dimension. I should really try and get into Elite, but it's quite hard as it looks like a bag of sh1t nowadays.

thl

Post by thl » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Doom (SNES)
F-Zero (SNES)
International Superstar Soccer (SNES)
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
OutRun 2006: Coast2Coast (PS2)
Premier Manager (Amiga)
R-Type (SMS)
Sensible World of Soccer (Amiga)
Space Harrier (SMS/Arcade/32X)
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES)
Street Fighter Zero 3 (PS1)
Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Arcade)
Tekken 5 (PS2)
Virtua Striker 2 v.2001 (Dreamcast)

And for the next-gen:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2
Halo 3
Pro Evolution Soocer 2008
Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 & 2

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:15 pm

C=Style wrote:Obviously you're a bit of an Elite fan, but did you find Frontier just as compelling as Elite? I ask because I never really played Elite properly before, but I did get really engrossed in Frontier. Even the manuals and little hand books that came with the games were an excellent read and really helped give the game that extra dimension. I should really try and get into Elite, but it's quite hard as it looks like a bag of sh1t nowadays.
Frontier is a GREAT game - MORE compelling than Elite - I just didn't give it the hours that the original got.And for one simple reason - even on my Amiga 1200 (which I bought to run the damn thing) the frame rate was awful, virtually unplayable compared to the original Elite.
BUT - only recently I had a brainwave, and fired up WinUAE and cranked all the CPU settings to max, and it ran like a dream. But beware - it's notoriously buggy (a rushed release that David Braben was not happy with).
There's a shareware PC version at www.eliteclub.co.uk that I haven't tried , but get stuck in and give it a go. It has way more depth, more missions, better visuals and hopefully less bugs.
Of course, if you're REALLY serious about the whole space-trading thing, there is only one answer - EVE online (www.EVE-Online.com) - it's Frontier on Steroids and I'm actually frightened to enlist, as I fear it will overrule all my other videogame passions and consume me, my wife and my job. I had a free fortnights' trial a while ago and it's bloody brilliant.

PM me if you need help with setting up WinUAE ti run Frontier, or any other Elite-y type stuff.......

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Cheers! Yeah, I am actually very familiar with Frontier, just not Elite. I used to run it in NTSC mode on the A1200 back in the day, it made quite a bit of difference actually and I found it quite playable, but when you were on a planet or close to a space station it pretty much locked up unsurprisingly. I've been told the best version of Elite to play is Elite Plus, I was thinking of trying out the Amiga version but I'm not sure what version to play.

I did buy Eve Online from GAME a few months ago but for some reason I didn't get an registration code with it so I couldn't even install it, but judging by your post that's maybe not such a bad thing. It looked really cool though :)