GTA IV

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SirClive

GTA IV

Post by SirClive » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Just got this from HMV...
Hi Gordon

As you may have seen on hmv.com we have sold out of our initial allocation of Grand Theft Auto IV, and are now unable to guarantee delivery for release date on any orders placed on or after 9th April.

The good news is that your order with us was placed before this date, and is secure. We'll be shipping the game to you in time for launch on April 29th, don't worry - your order is safe with us.

Don't forget, we'll also be sending you 1000 Xbox LIVE points and a voucher book with over £130 worth of savings with your game!

We hope you're as excited about Grand Theft Auto IV's imminent release date as we are.

Regards,

hmv.com games department
Can't believe it is selling out. Its only a game for gods-sake, not like its hard to manufacture enough to meet demand.

bonerlaw

Re: GTA IV

Post by bonerlaw » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:50 pm

SirClive wrote:Just got this from HMV...
Hi Gordon

As you may have seen on hmv.com we have sold out of our initial allocation of Grand Theft Auto IV, and are now unable to guarantee delivery for release date on any orders placed on or after 9th April.

The good news is that your order with us was placed before this date, and is secure. We'll be shipping the game to you in time for launch on April 29th, don't worry - your order is safe with us.

Don't forget, we'll also be sending you 1000 Xbox LIVE points and a voucher book with over £130 worth of savings with your game!

We hope you're as excited about Grand Theft Auto IV's imminent release date as we are.

Regards,

hmv.com games department
Can't believe it is selling out. Its only a game for gods-sake, not like its hard to manufacture enough to meet demand.
Ive always said that Rockstar are the masters of gaming publicity...by making it sell out on the first day, they are drumming up more and more press and public interest, in turn raising the profile of the game further, and therefore making a massive increase in sales overall!

Got mine on order though......hope im not disappointed!

Wildnites

Post by Wildnites » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:51 pm

Game also are saying that they can not guarantee delivery for release date if order on or after the 7th April....

Good work I ordered my months ago :D

Game are also saying that for Wii Fit.
Please Sir I cannot tell a lie......

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:08 pm

I find it quite amusing. I've never really understood why the games are so popular. :shock: Yes, they're good, but are they really that good? Do people want to fantasise about being violent criminals that badly? :P The only 3D GTA I've played is Vice City, and even then only once. I guess I'm just not really into modern games these days. Still, I'm not trying to convince anyone to stop playing them, far from it. I just don't get the hysteria is all :|

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:32 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:I find it quite amusing. I've never really understood why the games are so popular. :shock: Yes, they're good, but are they really that good?|

They are if you get right into them, like I did with Vice City. That became an obsession trying to get 100%, really there's not another game out there that offers the same experience, there's just so much to do and see! I've known a few people that think the GTA series are overrated but these are people who never really got right into like I'm saying. They just took it all at face value and worked their way through the missions etc, but not taking there time to appreciate all the cool little touches, details and hidden things that makes GTA such a unique game.

I also have real fond memories of GTA 3 when it first came out for PS2, that was the game that made me buy one in the first place, and I wasn't disappointed, a true genre defining game, but I'm not so sure GTA 4 is gonna feel so fresh to play. I think it's inevitable it won't live up to the hype, it just can't.

I was actually going to pre-order it, but I think I'll wait a few more days till the second lot of stock are in, there's really no hurry for me.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:41 pm

Fair enough, thanks for explaining. :) I still miss DMA Design though :cry:

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:44 pm

I can't be bothered. I think I gave up at Vice City. If IV is any good one player, I'll ask someone to get it for me for Christmas. i guess it'll be around £20 by then :)

James A

Post by James A » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Asda or Tesco just pick it up on the day they always have hundreds of copys ready to go. Don't see what the fuss is you should be able to get a copy on release date without a problem.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:24 pm

This isn't the only site that is selling/sold out of GTA IV. Glad I pre ordered mine a little while ago (hopefully getting in on release). For me, I really can't wait to get it. San Andreas had me addicted for months on end and I only completed about 80% of the total game, and I reckon Rockstar will be able to top that with this!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:30 pm

I'm buying it on its release date.

Although, I'm going to try and save it for a few weeks. I have my exams during that period of time and I know I'll get addicted to it. :wink:
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:36 pm

The GTA games (GTA III onwards) are possibly my favourite series of games ever. Vice City was the pinnacle for me (it was written for me personally, I think ;-) ).

I have done all 5 games to 100% apart from GTA III which is on about 98% because of me leaving the Ambulance mission till near the end where it is impossible to do when all the gangs are attacking you on sight :evil:

There is so much to do, they last for months.

I have GTA IV pre-ordered from Amazon (£35), and I can't wait.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:29 pm

I won't be getting it yet, no 360 or PS3. Shame PC owners get screwed on this series!

Also, I didn't like SA that much, so it would need to improve on that somewhat.

Dan1980

Post by Dan1980 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:32 pm

This is also my favorite series of games and i have the whole collection starting from the ps1, i do get a bit addicted though :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:02 pm

Sureshot wrote:I won't be getting it yet, no 360 or PS3. Shame PC owners get screwed on this series!

Also, I didn't like SA that much, so it would need to improve on that somewhat.
I agree, SA was my least favourite by far, something about it just didn't click with me. I still put in about 100hrs worth of play but it was nowhere near as absorbing as VC.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Vice City was, indeed, the daddy.