Dreamcast - Games that were or were they?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:33 am

bensonrad wrote:Would the DC in theory been able to run a good copy of Outrun 2, (not that this ever was released or every planned!)
lol what?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:39 pm

The DC could run pretty much everything the PS2 can, some things slightly better, some things slightly worse, but not majorly different. Technically there's not a huge variation between them, they both have benefits in different areas.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:14 pm

Isn't there some website where people are trying to get Sega to do a OR2 port for DC, with the owners "threatening" to do it themselves if Sega doesn't? Bizarre, really: while the DC is a quite powerful console, I shudder to think what it'd make of OR2 (pop-up city!).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

GarryG

Re:

Post by GarryG » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:29 am

hand_solo wrote:
bensonrad wrote:Would the DC in theory been able to run a good copy of Outrun 2, (not that this ever was released or every planned!)
lol what?
Err...
Are you serious!!?
To answer your question:
1) Yes it could.
2) No I dont think it's planned :!: :?: :!: :?: :!:

BTW...
If you want to play an arcade perfect version of the origonal Outrun on the Dreamcast you can always follow the following simple steps:
1) Get Shenmue 2
2) Play the game untill you find the arcade.
3) Walk up to the arcade machine
4) Play Outrun (or one of the other machines)

LOL ;)

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:37 am

Considering that the PSP has an acceptable conversion of Outrun 2 I think it would be pretty easy on the Dreamcast. But what do I know? I just play the things.

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Planet Harrier got a load of previews but sadly, never materialised.

Is this ever going to appear on anything?!

Incidently, I've been playing OutRun 2006 all week and there's just something wrong what with my DC sat in the corner gathering dust whilst I powerslide using my PS2 joypad...

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:15 am

I only asked! :wink:
It only made me think as on the Outrun 2 arcade machine it brings up all those logos like it does on the start up of most DC games (I don't mean the Sega logo!) So I had imagined that it would be possible to port it over somehow. As mentioned further up the thread, the DC is very much on par with the PS2 technically. I wouldn't imagine anyone doing a version for the DC, it was just a thought. I have Shemnue 2 and found the Outrun machine. Its not fully arcade perfect though. Jut look at the car for starters. Still its the best I'll get to playing it at home, other than buy a Saturn for the Sega Ages collection. :)
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

GarryG

Re:

Post by GarryG » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:34 am

bensonrad wrote:I only asked! :wink:
It only made me think as on the Outrun 2 arcade machine it brings up all those logos like it does on the start up of most DC games (I don't mean the Sega logo!) So I had imagined that it would be possible to port it over somehow. As mentioned further up the thread, the DC is very much on par with the PS2 technically. I wouldn't imagine anyone doing a version for the DC, it was just a thought. I have Shemnue 2 and found the Outrun machine. Its not fully arcade perfect though. Jut look at the car for starters. Still its the best I'll get to playing it at home, other than buy a Saturn for the Sega Ages collection. :)
Sorry... I was kind of joking about the Shemnue 2 Outrun!
Although all the arcade games are perfectly playable!!
I should have put more LOL’s and smiley faces in :(

If you are looking at playing the original outrun on the DS you might have a look at the various MAME packs.
I don’t know if outrun is included in any of these although I’m sure somebody on these forums can tell you if it is…

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:40 am

OutRun on the DC is also available as part of the Yu Suzuki GameWorks Vol. 1 compilation (along with Power Drift, Hang-On, Space Harrier and After Burner 2).

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:01 am

Have that too, its the same Outrun version lifted from the Shemnue 2 disc. Powerdrift is cool though. Anyone have any idea if a DC steering wheel will work with any of these games. I have Outrun on the GBA, part of the sega arcade gallery, I found this to be an excellent version of the game. :)
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:13 am

bensonrad wrote:I have Outrun on the GBA, part of the sega arcade gallery, I found this to be an excellent version of the game. :)
Really? I thought it was an abomination—absolutely dire.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:26 am

I've got the Sega Ages collection for the Saturn (first CD I boughht for it!) and the outrun on this plays fine!

I can't see much (if any) difference betwean playing that version and the origonal version on MAME on the PC.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:04 am

bensonrad wrote:Anyone have any idea if a DC steering wheel will work with any of these games.
Yes.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt M

Post by Matt M » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:11 am

I think Toejam and Earl 3 was originally headed for Dreamcast. It was later released on the Xbox.
"Paris in the Fall, The city holds many memories for me: of cafes, of music, of love... and of death."