Recommend me 10 NES games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:44 am

I forgot about Double Dragon 2 that's an awesome game if you're into that sort of thing. I actually prefer it to RCR, which I never really quite got what all the fuss was about. Contra is also overrated on NES I think, I mean it's ok and that but there's better shooters out there IMO.

EDIT: Forgot about Metal Storm, but if you can track this down it's well worth it, a very fun little game.

bolda

Post by bolda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:32 pm

Can't believe it's page 2 and nobody has mentioned Solar Jetman yet!? :shock: What a superb game that is... another classic from Rare.

Also Snake, Rattle & Roll is well worth picking up. 8)
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

bolda

Post by bolda » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:49 am

Just noticed you've already got Snake Rattle & Roll, so to atone for my mistake, here are 2 more suggestions... :D

Gradius (up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A...)
Ikari Warriors

2 decent arcade conversions. IW is particularly good fun for 2-player simultaneous action. 8)
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:15 pm

I've not really played Solar Jetman, but if it's that good I'll have to give it a crack.

bolda

Post by bolda » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:31 pm

Yes, Solar Jetman is definitely worth a play... but only on a real NES - it doesn't seem to emulate very well, the multi-directional scrolling always seems ropey in emulators.

It's probably my fave NES game and one of the few games I've completed! :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:53 pm

I really like Cobra Triangle :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:25 pm

bolda wrote:Yes, Solar Jetman is definitely worth a play... but only on a real NES - it doesn't seem to emulate very well, the multi-directional scrolling always seems ropey in emulators.

It's probably my fave NES game and one of the few games I've completed! :D
Ropey? Sounds like it could be a scaling problem, most emulators on the PC suffer from that if it's not in the correct aspect ratio and no hardware filtering is applied, easily rectified though esp if playing on a normal TV set. Anyway, I've had a little play of it and it looks real fun, kinda of an updated Thrust. Problem is I got stuck when I went through the first warp to retrieve the ship part as it wouldn't let me back out when I was carrying it for some reason. Sure I'll work it out, but thanks for the heads up on this one. I can see myself totally enjoying it.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:57 pm

C=Style wrote:Ropey? Sounds like it could be a scaling problem, most emulators on the PC suffer from that if it's not in the correct aspect ratio and no hardware filtering is applied, easily rectified though esp if playing on a normal TV set. Anyway, I've had a little play of it and it looks real fun, kinda of an updated Thrust. Problem is I got stuck when I went through the first warp to retrieve the ship part as it wouldn't let me back out when I was carrying it for some reason. Sure I'll work it out, but thanks for the heads up on this one. I can see myself totally enjoying it.
You mean Extra Sensory Perception? :| Can you change game settings and stuff with just your thoughts? :o I can't :(

bolda

Post by bolda » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:23 pm

C=Style wrote:Ropey? Sounds like it could be a scaling problem, most emulators on the PC suffer from that if it's not in the correct aspect ratio and no hardware filtering is applied, easily rectified though esp if playing on a normal TV set. Anyway, I've had a little play of it and it looks real fun, kinda of an updated Thrust. Problem is I got stuck when I went through the first warp to retrieve the ship part as it wouldn't let me back out when I was carrying it for some reason. Sure I'll work it out, but thanks for the heads up on this one. I can see myself totally enjoying it.
If you haven't figured it out yet, you have to manouevre the ship part over the errr... 'pulsating grid' thingy. The planets soon get a lot bigger (some of the later ones are huge!) but you can buy a mapping device and some cool weapons... definitely a game you can immerse yourself in. Enjoy! :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:24 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:
You mean Extra Sensory Perception? :| Can you change game settings and stuff with just your thoughts? :o I can't :(
lol! I really gotta stop abbreviating especially, I dunno why I do it, just one of them habits u pick up. ;)

bolda wrote: If you haven't figured it out yet, you have to manouevre the ship part over the errr... 'pulsating grid' thingy. The planets soon get a lot bigger (some of the later ones are huge!) but you can buy a mapping device and some cool weapons... definitely a game you can immerse yourself in. Enjoy! :D
Ah! I wondered what that pulsating thing was about, makes sense now. Cheers.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:36 am

A Boy and his Blob: A very clever little game by David Crane.

Ninja Gaiden: Very good game and completely different to the arcade version.

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:44 am

Captain Skyhawk is a little known but excellent game.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:00 pm

1. Kid Icarus
2. Contra (AKA Gryzor (AKA Probotector))
3. Castlevania
4. Maniac Mansion
5. Micro Machines
6. Exed Exes
7. 1942
8. Excitebike
9. Metal Gear
10. Final Fantasy

You might need to get your importing head on for the last two - I'm sure FF wasn't released in Europe and I'm fairly sure MG wasn't either.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Machine+Soul

Post by Machine+Soul » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:52 pm

My friend had a nes and we always used to play Captain Bucky O'hare because it was great fun. In fact i can't remember any of his other games at the mo.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:39 am

Killbot,

Although quite rare to find, Metal Gear was released in the UK and Europe, I should know, I've got a copy!

However, 1942, Xexyz (Exed Exes?) and Final Fantasy were never released in the UK or Europe. They're great games though!