Recommend me 10 NES games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiniki

Recommend me 10 NES games

Post by kiniki » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:40 am

I'm feeling rather Nes-like today and will be searching Ebay for some new games...

I already have

Mario 3
Snake Rattle & Roll
Duckhunt & Mario Bros
Duck tales

So anything other than those...

I'm looking for top grade 100% pure gaming goodness.... HIT ME!

David

Post by David » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:45 am

Mario 2
Chip & Dale
Duck Tales (one of my fave NES games)
Off Road
Megaman 2

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:58 am

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game
Mega Man 3
Super C
Ninja Gaiden
Super Turrican
Castlevania
Punch Out!
Metroid
Bionic Commando
The Legend of Zelda

You can't go wrong with the above, keep in mind Zelda, Castlevania, Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden and Contra all have sequels that are also worth getting also, they should keep you going for quite a while!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:02 am

ShadowMan wrote:Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game
Mega Man 3
Super C
Ninja Gaiden
Super Turrican
Castlevania
Punch Out!
Metroid
Bionic Commando
The Legend of Zelda

You can't go wrong with the above, keep in mind Zelda, Castlevania, Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden and Contra all have sequels that are also worth getting also, they should keep you going for quite a while!
;) I'm suprised all the NES based Megaman games didn't make it into your top ten mate!! :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:20 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
Mega Man 3
Super C
Ninja Gaiden
Super Turrican
Castlevania
Punch Out!
Metroid
Bionic Commando
The Legend of Zelda

;) I'm suprised all the NES based Megaman games didn't make it into your top ten mate!! :D
Tempting but I wanted to give a larger variety of nes games. That and the Subject title reminded me of my Playchoice 10 cab which funnilly enough, has 8 out of those suggested (and thats only because he has Mario 3!). But I'd definitly recommend all 6 Mega Man games, the first 3 are easily the best though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:48 am

I really liked NES Batman - the music was awesome. All the Sunsoft Batman games were great

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:54 am

Nes Bubble bobble and Rc pro am by rare

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:58 am

Gauntlet 2 and a 4 player adapter
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:13 am

Cool, I was gonna make a similar thread yesterday as I'm in a total NES mood at the minute myself. Love this console, and I'm actually one of the few that really love the actual design on the machine, nothing else ever quite had the charm of the old shoe box NES.

Anyway here some games I love:

Twin Cobra (fantastic conversion, stunning gameplay)
Mega Man 2, (it's my favourite one, best levels and classic tunes)
Duck Tales
Battletoads
Bionic Commando
Burai Fighter
Powerblade 1 & 2 (1 is a great game, not played a great deal of 2 but from what I have played it's very good too)
Gun Nac
Life Force
Parodius
Guardian Legend

Have fun!

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:19 am

Mega Man 3
Castlevania
Punch Out!
The Legend of Zelda

I totally agree with ShadowMan on these titles (I've deleted the ones I didn't know or didn't think were good enough). And I'll add:

Kid Icarus (I'd say it's a good platformer, but it's actually a bit more than a standard platformer...)
Faxanady (I've re-discovered this game recently, and it's a very good title, quite similar to Zelda 2)
Double Dragon 2 (If you like this kind of game, then DD2 is the best there is!)
Gargoyle's Quest 2 (a very good platformer, though you might find it too easy)
Shadowgate (I can't really put a name on this type of game...It's quite fun, but the puzzles are really hard!)
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:31 am

Spooky wrote:
Mega Man 3
Castlevania
Punch Out!
The Legend of Zelda

I totally agree with ShadowMan on these titles (I've deleted the ones I didn't know or didn't think were good enough). And I'll add:

Gargoyle's Quest 2 (a very good platformer, though you might find it too easy)
Great game, I loved the first one for the Gameboy. It was also a really cool offshoot of the Ghosts n Goblins franchine that probably had more balanced difficulty than the main games!

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:31 am

Blue Shadow - Ninja platform game, fast, hard and has some great music

Probotector (contra) - nowt to say, you should have it

Nintendo World Cup - Not the greatest of football games, but its actualy one of the Kunio - Kun games (river city ransome etc) the sprite are great and chunky and the overhead power kick never fails to make me laugh.

Batman - as mention already, worth owning, has some great wall jumping sections and is just a good solid platformer and excellent use of a movie license.

Wild Gun Man - sorry but I like this, whack the settings on high and its a good challange.

Simpsons - Bart V the space mutants - again this is just my favorite, used to play this all the time, once you get off the fairly easy first stage, the challange picks up. It can be a bit obscure at times, finding the items but it should be cheap and easy to find.

Starwars - Excellent platform, has a few unbalanced levels (difficulty wise) but otherwise excellent throughout.

Almost forgot -

Isolated Warrior - isometric run and gun, excellent game
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:38 am

Some of my fave NES games that you haven't got:

Super Mario Bros 2 - HIGHLY underated, I love it

NES Open Tournament Golf - Best sports game on the NES and my favourite golf game on any system.

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest - No one seems to have any love for this brilliant adventure game. So atmospheric.

North and South - Very rare, but definitely worth searching for this excellent little strategy game.

Balloon Fight - Superb Joust rip-off (if you can find it!)

Metroid - My first NES experience 17 years ago, still fantastic but very hard! Score is very atmospheric.

GunSmoke - Excellent Wild West shooter but you'll be lucky to find it even cart only for less than a tenner. Worth it though.

Micro Machines - Best multiplayer action on the NES!

Rescue: The Embassy Mission - Many people hate this game but I think it's a well done little spy sim, even has first person shooter parts! Should be able to get a cart delivered for a couple of quid.

Street Gangs - Great little Double Dragon-esque game, cute graphics and a lot of fun. Very expensive though, I paid £15 for a tatty complete one.

Ivan 'Iron Man' Stewart's Super Off Road - Simple but so playable. Cart only is cheap.

Xevious - My favourite shoot-em-up on the NES.

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:47 am

RC-Pro Am is definetly one of the top NES games.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:16 am

Guybrush wrote:Street Gangs - Great little Double Dragon-esque game, cute graphics and a lot of fun. Very expensive though, I paid £15 for a tatty complete one.
Most people know this as River City Ransom... and it's DD like because it was created by the same team at Technos. But yeah, a definite purchase :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...