Super Mario 3 vs Super Mario World

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which is the greatest?

Super Mario 3
35%
Super Mario World
65%

Total votes: 40

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:17 am

Mario 3 was great. But I simply have to vote for Super Mario World. As ShadowMan noted it was just great to search for all the exits in the various stages. And man, the world was huge (at least then it was). Getting every level done on Starroad was such a great feeling of accomplishment. Okay, I'm drifting off... so....Super Mario World for me :lol:

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:23 am

C=Style wrote:Noooooo this is going all wrong goddamit! How do I lock this thread! :P

Mario 3 is a bit of the easy side but the last level is real tough. Easy doesn't necessarily mean it's less fun though and I love the short stages, they just make the game that much more addictive, plus there's so much more variety to it than SMW, like the Ice stages, little-BIG World etc, so many little costumes to collect and the mini games are much better than SMW poor excuse. Serious I think SMW is well overrated, if you haven't played Mario 3 then do so (even on the SNES Mario Allstars pack), you will find it plays the better game.
Right! I should play SMB 3 on Super MArio All Stars... I know the NES version by heart, but I don't remember it on SMAS... Good idea! :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

thl

Post by thl » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:58 am

Quite a tough one this. Super Mario World would probably edge it.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:06 am

thl wrote:Quite a tough one this. Super Mario World would probably edge it.
After 3 posts, I think we all understand your fave game is SMW.

We don't need to know again. Thanks.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:13 am

Not really a Mario fan myself, but recently picked up a SNES and have been playing both Super Mario Bros 3 (on All Stars) and SMW.

TBH, I played the original SMB3 on it's natural format and liked it.

And even now, I find SMB3 to be the more fun.

I am getting quite annoyed and perplexed with the 2nd to last stage before the castle on World 4 - The Cloud one.

You have to leap on moving platforms, but after about the fourth or fifth, I keep dying.

I'm now starting to lose my patience and may give up.

What to do?
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:25 pm

I wanted to say both, and i made a wrong selection went for MB3 Doh, i love playing Mario bros 3, but loved playing Super Mario World more.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:38 pm

World by far for me. Never really enjoyed 3...never really got into the NES at all.

SMW has influenced my play of every platformer ever since....always explore every nook. If you see the exit always look for a less obvious one.

Although 'Tubular' of the star road levels nearly made me kill myself back in the day it was so tough. :D

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:44 pm

I am getting quite annoyed and perplexed with the 2nd to last stage before the castle on World 4 - The Cloud one.

Get a P-Wing down yer neck lad!
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:07 am

Loftgroover wrote:World by far for me. Never really enjoyed 3...never really got into the NES at all.

SMW has influenced my play of every platformer ever since....always explore every nook. If you see the exit always look for a less obvious one.

Although 'Tubular' of the star road levels nearly made me kill myself back in the day it was so tough. :D
You and many other people I'd imagine. That 1 stage still stands about above all the other secret levels for me. I recall it raking me and mt 2 brothers to make it through the stage back in the day!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*