Super Mario 3 vs Super Mario World

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which is the greatest?

Super Mario 3
35%
Super Mario World
65%

Total votes: 40

C=Style

Super Mario 3 vs Super Mario World

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:43 pm

I've always known that 2D Mario fans were divided into 2 camps, those that loved Mario 3 on the NES & those that much prefer SMW on Snes. I have to say I've never really enjoyed SMW as much as I've tried. I've even completed it multiple times but came away quite cold from it all. Super Mario 3 on the other hand is in my opinion the greatest 2D platformer ever made, it just feels so great to play, the gfx push the NES to the extreme and the level design is about as good as it gets.

I've not played it properly for a few years but I've completed it quite a few times on the real hardware which wasn't easy (unless you use warp whistles) as there's no way to continue so you have to do it in one sitting. So having spent a few hours with it today I have to say I am, once again astounded by the gameplay. It plays as fresh today as it did on release.

So what I wanted to know from you retro gamers here is which one you prefer and why if possible.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:05 pm

Well that's a nice start 5-0 to Mario 3. Which kinda begs the question why is it that SMW is commonly accepted as the better game? Even Retro Gamer in it's top 100 games of all time pitched Super Mario World at number 2 and Mario 3 at number 36! :?

Like I say this is really common, but SM3 absolutely decimates SMW in gameplay and level design. I reckon next to Super Metroid this is Miyamoto's finest hour. 8)

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:44 pm

Super Mario Bros 3 is my favorite game of all time.

It puts a lot of Nes games to shame, a top effort with this gem, I find the last world tricky though, usually save the P-Wing for some of the stages :oops:
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:16 am

Sorry, I'm going for the unpopular choice here. Super Mario World had a much smoother feel about the game. It feels like SMB3 that has been refined to a point of perfection. There aren't too many powerups, there are just the right amount of levels, there are lots of secrets but they're not too difficult to get to.

Both games are very well balanced, but SMW just has the edge in my opinion...

3fruits

Post by 3fruits » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:21 am

mario world is so much better, mario 3 is great dont get me wrong but its extremely easy to complete. where as mario world has more depth which says somthing for a game such as this. the graphics are better than mario 3.

overall what i wana know is why most people believe mario world 2 is better than the 1st release, now that buffles me!!!lol

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:01 am

I haven't played SMB3 :oops:

I bought a SNES to play SMW though, and it remains a favourite game. I've played through it numerous times. :) I was so chuffed when I finished it for the first time that I ran downstairs and proudly informed my parents. They didn't care though :(

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:39 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:I haven't played SMB3 :oops:

I bought a SNES to play SMW though, and it remains a favourite game. I've played through it numerous times. :) I was so chuffed when I finished it for the first time that I ran downstairs and proudly informed my parents. They didn't care though :(
I haven't played either of them, although I have got SMB3, I'll have to dig my NES out sometime and give it a go.
Splink!

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:04 am

I think people do look back a little too whimsically eyed on Super Mario Brothers 3. There was a heck of a lot to this game, and the powerups and monsters by the bucketload, and some great touches (such as the fireflower in the ice world makes me wonder why it wasn't used in SMW).

But I always thought it was too easy, the levels were too small and you could fly/hover over large portions of the levels. To unlock everything in SMW took a huge amount of time, and that is what made it for me a better game.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:46 am

I chose SMW, no hesitation... I mean, come on people! There's no Yoshi in SMB3!!! :lol:

Seriously, I always thought SMW was the best 2D platformer of all time... SMB 3 was great, but there too many bonuses (a frog costume? Come on!!!), too many hidden secrets that were impossible to discover on your own...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Mr L

Post by Mr L » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:50 am

World for me - again, it has Yoshi in it!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:01 pm

Noooooo this is going all wrong goddamit! How do I lock this thread! :P

Mario 3 is a bit of the easy side but the last level is real tough. Easy doesn't necessarily mean it's less fun though and I love the short stages, they just make the game that much more addictive, plus there's so much more variety to it than SMW, like the Ice stages, little-BIG World etc, so many little costumes to collect and the mini games are much better than SMW poor excuse. Serious I think SMW is well overrated, if you haven't played Mario 3 then do so (even on the SNES Mario Allstars pack), you will find it plays the better game.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:45 am

Really hard to say which is better. Mario 3 will always hold a special place in my collection thanks to its level design (each world had a unique twist to them), Enemy design, and not to mention the wealth of power ups (Frog suits, Racoon feathers, Hammer suits)

However there are certain aspects of Super Mario World which I prefer to those in Mario 3. Most of all was the sheer number of levels, and exits. Nothing beat searching each of the stages for alternate exits, and trying to unlock the star road and then making it to the top secret zone consumed my early childhood (I found it a lot harder to do back then). Oh, then there was the hard as hell secret exit to access Sherbert Lake!

I can't pick one or the other, I like them both completely equally. Some things I like more on Mario 3, and others I like more on Mario World.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:59 am

Can I vote for this game?

;)

World for me though.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:49 am

Has always been Mario 3 for me.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:50 am

Hmmm, probably Super Mario World, though I am not a huge Mario fan. That said my missus loves that game so I will have to go with that.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!