Infocom games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dust

Infocom games

Post by dust » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:32 am

Let's be honest, Infocom were the absolute kings of the text-only adventure. Who's played what and what did you think of them?

Trinity - wow, I spent months playing this game. Truly fabulous.

Infidel - I really kick myself now as I cheated my way through this game by using a walkthrough. Wish I could erase my memory and do it again... :)

Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy - am I the only person in the mind-bogglingly-big universe who thinks this game was a load of rubbish and not worthy of the Infocom name? Some of the puzzles were way too obscure...

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:43 am

I really must play some Infocom games soon - Not originally owning a disk drive, I missed out on them.

dust

Post by dust » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:57 am

This was the very first site I came across when I discovered the internet:

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom

It's dated badly and half the links are broken but, by golly, it presses the nostalgia button in me! ;)

This looks more up to date!

http://infocom-if.org

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:11 pm

Best text adventure I ever played was called skull on the QL micro drive, I dont suppose anyone has this or could point me in the right direction?

rainbird rich

Re: Infocom games

Post by rainbird rich » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:37 am

I have to be honest and admit that I found most Infocom text games boring. No idea why, as I loved adventures! I only ever finished one of theirs - Lurking Horror.

For me, Level 9's 8-bit stuff were great and Mag Scrolls adventures on 16-bit were equally good. At Rainbird we used to have this conversation quite often about who did the best games - Paul 'Axeman' Coppins (who did loads of reviews and stuff in C&VG years ago) was very much an Infocom fan - he'd buy a game one day and have it finished by tea time the next day!
dust wrote:Let's be honest, Infocom were the absolute kings of the text-only adventure. Who's played what and what did you think of them?

Trinity - wow, I spent months playing this game. Truly fabulous.

Infidel - I really kick myself now as I cheated my way through this game by using a walkthrough. Wish I could erase my memory and do it again... :)

Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy - am I the only person in the mind-bogglingly-big universe who thinks this game was a load of rubbish and not worthy of the Infocom name? Some of the puzzles were way too obscure...
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:00 am

I was and still am so lame at text adventures. I remember trying to play Fish! on my ST and couldnt get out of the first scene. Give me a good Lucasarts graphical adventure anyday.

rainbird rich

Re:

Post by rainbird rich » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:58 am

From memory of play-testing Fish!, I think you had to type 'turn over' as the very first command!

Graphical adventures killed off commercial text adventures in the end... :cry:
planetmatt wrote:I was and still am so lame at text adventures. I remember trying to play Fish! on my ST and couldnt get out of the first scene. Give me a good Lucasarts graphical adventure anyday.
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

CraigGrannell

Re: Infocom games

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:30 pm

dust wrote:Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy - am I the only person in the mind-bogglingly-big universe who thinks this game was a load of rubbish and not worthy of the Infocom name? Some of the puzzles were way too obscure...
I actually rather enjoyed the game, although I've no idea why, seeing as a lot of the puzzles made no sense whatsoever. I guess it was because it had the humour of the first two books, which I very much enjoyed. Thinking about it, I never did solve the game...
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Gilderoy Lockheart

Post by Gilderoy Lockheart » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:51 pm

I agree that infocom adventures were pretty special, HHG2G being very much in keeping with its inspiration (mad as tho some of the flaming problems) but for me the kings of early text adventures were level 9. I have such memories of playing them as an early teen, Snowball being my favourite text adventure ever.

I don't dispute that infocom took the parsers and descriptions to another level in time but for very early text adventures level 9 for me, and I don't know about anyone else but I always thought adventure international efforts were overrated.

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:15 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I always thought adventure international efforts were overrated.
Yes definetly - The parser didn't understand many commands at all and I found a lot of the Scott Adams adventures to be quite repetitive.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:06 pm

LeeT wrote:
I don't know about anyone else but I always thought adventure international efforts were overrated.
Yes definetly - The parser didn't understand many commands at all and I found a lot of the Scott Adams adventures to be quite repetitive.

To turn into The Hulk you had to 'bite lip' -
How obvious-not!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:24 pm

As fabulous as they were, I always thought Magnetic Scrolls were better.
Don't know if it is some kind of US VS. Europe thing. Or perhaps that Infocom felt a little like old tales/adventures and Magnetic Scrolls more "contemporary"?
Of course, Infocom started much earlier and might have been more economic with its text and descriptions.

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:41 am

NorthWay wrote:As fabulous as they were, I always thought Magnetic Scrolls were better.
Don't know if it is some kind of US VS. Europe thing. Or perhaps that Infocom felt a little like old tales/adventures and Magnetic Scrolls more "contemporary"?
The thing that I felt made Infocom so special, was the sophistication of their parser. At the time, it did feel more advanced than any of the competing games. That said, Magnetic Scrolls and Level 9 did make high quality titles that could easily compare to Infocoms games.

And as for contemporary titles vs. fantasy. Infocom only made a few fantasy titles, but the ones they made (especially the Zork games) were so popular that they totally overshadowed their other efforts. For a complete list, you can go to this page: http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/games.html

Personally, I found their best titles to be the sci-fi and mystery games. Lurking Horror really put a scare in me, so I can't remember if I actually finished it :)

Of course, after King's Quest, the bottom fell out of the text adventure market.

Scoca

Re:

Post by Scoca » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:45 am

koopa42 wrote:Best text adventure I ever played was called skull on the QL micro drive, I dont suppose anyone has this or could point me in the right direction?
My mate had a QL with twin micro-drives (posh git). He had that game, it was called 'The Lost Kingdom of Zkul', I guess that's the one you're looking for.

Good luck finding it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:48 am

Ever tried to make your own..?

http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/new/adrift.cgi