What Are Your Favourite C64 Games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Heavy Stylus

What Are Your Favourite C64 Games?

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:56 pm

I'm looking for some new games to play my C64, preferably stuff I might not have heard of before.

So apart from all the really obvious ones (Wizball, Mayhem in Monsterland, Bubble Bobble, Creatures, Uridium, IK+ and so on) - what do you recommend? Homebrew stuff included.

(Oh and I've already got the recent C64 book).

Go!!!
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:00 pm

Oi! James! I'm trying to work here.. people really should stop posting threads I just have to answer!

Erm.. I'll come back later ;)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:04 pm

Myth is worth checking out, if you haven't done before.
Splink!

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:19 pm

Law of the west is good fun.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:25 pm

Yeah - I've been looking for a myth cart for over a year now - every time I see them on ebay they go for silly money (£60+)

Solar Jetman - got that one, but haven't tried it yet (I'm waiting for my MMCRR cart to come through so I can mount the disk images on that rather than having to transfer the data over to floppies).

I've been playing PacMania a lot recently - I'm really impressed with the C64 conversion. That and Zoo Mania (homebrew Zoo Keeper clone) with two players, Green Runner and Red Runner, all of T.M.R's Cosine games, The Rebels (another ace GTW find) and Puznic...
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:44 pm

My favorite games for the C64 that might not be obvious are:

Rodland,
Turrican 2 (OK sorry obvious)
Tilt (a simple roll a ball round a maze game by Code masters fun and fustrating)
Would have to say Spikey in Transylvania by Codemasters
and finally:
Time Machine

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:50 pm

Is the C64 version of Rodland any good? I'll check that one out for sure.

Think I may have heard of Tilt, but will look into it.

(Edit: wow - Tilt looks pretty cool.)

I had Time Machine on my Atari ST - that game confused the hell out of me back in the day!

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Heavy Stylus wrote:Is the C64 version of Rodland any good? I'll check that one out for sure.
Yeah, loads of fun that one.

Erm, how about stuff like Hermetic, Lions Of The Universe or Catalypse for shooters or the Fred's Back series for platformers; the latter use AGSP scrolling and may bottle out on some real hardware.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Heavy Stylus wrote:Yeah - I've been looking for a myth cart for over a year now - every time I see them on ebay they go for silly money (£60+)
Really! :shock:

I picked one up among a batch of other carts that I only paid a couple of quid for. Didn't realise it was a collectable, just thought it was a neat replacement for my ancient tape version.

Great game, much better than any of the ports. Why they felt the need to change the lead character is beyond me, it just breaks the backstory.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:41 pm

Ok, discounting games in the book, as Andrew's told you plenty good stuff about them already:

Sheep in Space My fave Llamasoft 8-bit game (just pipping Ancipital). Refines Defender's gameplay for the better IMO (actually giving you a believeable in-game mechanic for the planet's destruction instead of the rather abitrary 'defend the humanoids' thing, more engaging physics/gravitational effects, treating the players character as a living entity that needs to eat... fabulous stuff).

Also try Hovver Bovver

Jammin' Surreal but totally engaging musical-themed Taskset game that I coudn't even begin to describe gameplay-wise if I tried, but is bloody great. Also see practically any other Taskset game (but avoid CadCam Warrior) including...

Bozo's Night Out Possibly the world's first (and only?) 'drink-'em-up'!

[and Gyropod is a good laugh too]

Sentinel Not the Geoff Crammond one, but the Synapse game. Excellent updated clone of Star Raiders for the 64.

Stellar 7 Battlezone-beater programmed by Damon Slye, founder of Dynamix. Very impressive speedy vectors for the Commie.

Cliff Hanger Thoroughly enjoyable Wild-West take on the Roadrunner/Wile E Coyote WB cartoons of old, and very funny to boot.

Aztec Challenge Very simple but highly atmospheric action game, with a great soundtrack. From Paul 'Forbidden Forest' Norman.

Trollie Wallie About the only good game Interceptor Micros ever produced. Actually, it's very good indeed.

Slimey's Mine Very playable budget shooter from Silverbird.

Chinese Juggler A plate-spinning simulator! More fun than it sounds.

Mission AD A bit like Elevator Action... with more bullets. Probably somewhat a case of style over substance but I liked it. Good Fred Gray music also. Other Odin titles on the C64 are also good, especially Robin of the Wood.

Hysteria A bit like Myth but with big guns. Much more fun than Hawkeye.

Flash Gordon Nice licensed action-adventure from Mastertronic, somewhat reminiscent of an early 'Flashback'. Very good 'late' Hubbard soundtrack.

Wizardy Isometric Brit-RPG with lots of depth.

Quo Vadis The 64's answer to Jet Set Willy, with a massive 1000+ screens, also a PCG Game of the Month. Actually, in retrospect, I'm not sure whether it was any good...

FireTrack I really liked this 'Star Force'-styled shooter from Frak! creator 'Orlando'. At the time I worked at an IT company that serviced Electric Dream's PCs so managed to blag a free copy :)

Mutants The 'other' C64 game like Hunter's Moon, written by Denton Designs. Actually there's also Firefly by Special FX, but I don't remember much about it.

Arcade Classics A retro-retro compilation! Amazing Hubbard title track.

LA SWAT Cheap'n'cheerful Commando clone, with added gang violence...

Z Fun multi-directional scrolling top-down shmup similar to Sinistar.

Slayer Nifty budget hori-scrolling shmup from Hewson.

Killa Watt Shoot whales. And light bulbs. In a cave. A Tony Crowther production... the boy done good.

Raskel Defender-clone, raved over by Jaz Rignall in Zzap!

P.O.D. Frantic Gridrunner-style shooter by Shaun 'Trailblazer' Southern.

That's enough for now :)

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Bounty Bob Strikes Back
Bubble Bobble
Action Biker
Buggy Boy
Encounter
Great Giana Sisters
Nebulus
Head Over Heels
Willow Pattern
Zolyx

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:33 pm

Alter Ego
Drelbs
Gribbly's Special Day Out
Jumpman
Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo
Snare
Hat Trick
Night Mission
Slamball
Bounces
Crossfire
Harvey Headbanger
Park Patrol
Sensitive
Spitball
Suicide Strike
Super Pipeline
Enigma Force
Fungus
Heatseeker
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Paradroid
Hunters Moon
CJs Elephant Antics
Emlyn Hughes Int Soccer
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Ghettoblaster
Gribblys Day Out
New Zealand Story
Panther
Rocket Ball
Split Personalities
World Cup Carnival :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:03 pm

CraigGrannell wrote: Suicide Strike
Had completely forgotten about that game.. spent a lot of time on it too. Cheers.

I'll add R.I.S.K. to the list. Nothing to do with the board game, rather a Dropzone-like shooter with an interesting added strategic element.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Kamikaze, if its not already been mentioned.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.