The Founding Fathers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:53 pm

Wow, what a great little thread for everyone to share and contribute to. :)

Let's ignore people's opinions on how they interpret a genre and just add lots more info.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:44 am

Xesh wrote:I can't believe that no one's mentioned Populous yet. While it may not be the first 'god' game it is one of the most popular. :)

I believe that it was also one of the first games to feature non-linear level progression. In other words, depending upon how well the player fared, you could jump several levels instead of going to the next one.
The Sentinel on C64 predates Populous by several years and also featured performance based variable level progression. I'm not even sure that was first either.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:10 pm

C=Style wrote:Sega's 'Virtua' series practically carved out the way forward for arcade polygon gaming, certainly they invented the 3D fighter, and were the first company to introduce different camera angles in games, pioneered by Virtua Racing.
As we know it and play it today, yes. VF is the first 3D fighter. But I think that 4-D Sports Boxing should be mentioned, since it's the first polygonal fighter*.

*If we consider boxing games as fighting games that is. But why not? Fighting games must not necessarily be about oriental martial arts, right?

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Mickey T wrote:Gradius only claim could be first in selectable power ups, possibly but unlikely, certainly not bosses or power ups.
:shock:

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:08 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:
Mickey T wrote:Gradius only claim could be first in selectable power ups, possibly but unlikely, certainly not bosses or power ups.
:shock:
Tiger Heli came first to market in the scrolling shooter world and contained power ups as we know them today, Gradius added to this by allowing the player to select a weapon or option, both of these were 1985, many 8 bit micro games allowed the player to power up and shield before then, most notably Elite and Dropzone (both 84), but many earlier games Snap Jack, Lady Bug, Cops N Robbers contained power ups, pacmans power pill probably pre dates all though.

Chu Chu Rocket was the first online console game in Europe
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:40 pm

mandelbrot78 wrote:
C=Style wrote:Sega's 'Virtua' series practically carved out the way forward for arcade polygon gaming, certainly they invented the 3D fighter, and were the first company to introduce different camera angles in games, pioneered by Virtua Racing.
As we know it and play it today, yes. VF is the first 3D fighter. But I think that 4-D Sports Boxing should be mentioned, since it's the first polygonal fighter*.

*If we consider boxing games as fighting games that is. But why not? Fighting games must not necessarily be about oriental martial arts, right?
True enough and a good point. I would argue that the gameplay was what made it so original but it only played like a 2D game (although still very unique in feel) till later in the series when the side step was added.

First decent lightgun game: Virtua Cop which breathed new life into a dying genre, which was the first game that allowed you to shoot enemies in different body zones. It was so ahead of anything else before it that it almost felt like a new genre entirely (esp true if you spent some quality time with the Saturn version + Lightgun, man that was addictive).

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:46 pm

Pfff... Duck Hunt on NES was ace ;)

Even though you couldn't shoot that damn dog.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:26 pm

MikeHaggar wrote:Pfff... Duck Hunt on NES was ace ;)

Even though you couldn't shoot that damn dog.
Know what you mean! It wasn't through lack of trying though. :lol:

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:24 am

I would say that The Need For Speed (3DO) was the first modern style home driving game

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:38 am

What was the first game to feature cake?
Rainbow Islands? Surely not. It was the first to feature rainbows as aggressive weaponry though.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:39 am

pforson wrote:What was the first game to feature cake?
Rainbow Islands? Surely not. It was the first to feature rainbows as aggressive weaponry though.
Maybe Parasol Stars was the first game to feature parasols too ;)

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:47 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:I would say that The Need For Speed (3DO) was the first modern style home driving game
Damn right it was. ;)

First survival horror? Sweet Home on the NES? but it was an RPG. Alone in the dark on the PC?

First game to make full use of a home CDROM? I'd guess Myst. But I have a feeling I'm wrong. 7th Guest maybe?

First Interactive Movie? Dragons Lair 1983?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:52 pm

Yie Ar Kung Fu was the first one on one fighter I'm aware of that used a varied roster of characters with different moves, styles and abilities including weapons. Pretty much a staple for every modern beat em up.

The first proper 2 player 1v1 fighter with a variable roster of different moves and counters was probably either Kung Fu (speccy and various other 8 bits) or Karate Champ.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:56 pm

will2097 wrote:
RetroKingSimon wrote:I would say that The Need For Speed (3DO) was the first modern style home driving game
Damn right it was. ;)

First survival horror? Sweet Home on the NES? but it was an RPG. Alone in the dark on the PC?

First game to make full use of a home CDROM? I'd guess Myst. But I have a feeling I'm wrong. 7th Guest maybe?

The first one I remember was Microcosm :|

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:10 pm

will2097 wrote:First survival horror? Sweet Home on the NES? but it was an RPG. Alone in the dark on the PC?
Aye, but Project Firestart for the C64 can be considered survival horror.
The first CD-Rom game was the Manhole for the Mac, but there was a floppy disk version so it didn't make full use of the medium.
I'd say Spaceship Warlock for the Mac (1990). 3D rendered scenes (the taxi ride was awsome), speech, 640x480 resolution and 256 colour graphics. I remember drooling over it, but unfortunately I didn't have a Mac. It was far ahead of its time.
Depends on what you mean. Astron Belt was presented first but Dragon's Lair ultimately beat it to the market. The first was Quarter Horse though, although I don't know if it can be classified as an "interactive movie" or simply as a game which uses video.

Although not a game the Aspen Movie Map was the first "interactive movie" which used a laser disc (back in '78 ).