Biggest Gaming Regret

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:29 am

Muteki wrote:I've only sold three games ever, and even then I regret doing it. I think I was broke at the time, coming out of the gaming loop, and places like Pink Planet and Games Exchange started to pop up. I got rid of Soleil, Ranger X and Mega Turrican (all MD). I wish I still had them.
I have them, apart from Ranger X which I still must get hold of at some stage.

I saw Soleil go for nigh on £20 on the bay on Monday night!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:34 am

My other regret was buying and then selling a copy of MEGA CD Samurai Showdown.

Didn't lose any money on it, but it had to go to pay off a debt.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

RetroGT.com

Post by RetroGT.com » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:48 am

Easily my biggest regret is not taking better care of the Amstad CPC tape that contained all the games and programs I'd written when I was younger.

I have no idea why I was so stupid as to not keep a backup, but one way or another the tape was lost and now I have no record of all the programming I did when I was akid.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:50 am

Similarly to Craig, losing all my self-created C64 stuff on floppy.. years of demos, games, music, most were appalling, but some I was rather proud of, and I wish I could tinker about with them again :(

Also, come to think of it, spending hundreds and hundreds of quid on now worthless Amiga software...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:56 am

Not being able to buy Manhunt 2 in its properly designed form at retail ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Selling all my C64 stuff. :cry: :cry:

And paying £300+ for a 3DO when they 1st came out....yikes !!! :evil:

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:51 pm

Finding my first console at my Mum's house ( a Prinztronic Videosport 600) broken many years later. Selling my Colecovision (f**king great console) for about £10 in the '80s (oh and all my star wars figures/ships for £15)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Oh, that reminds me I swapped my Master System for a bottle of Vodka when I was about 15 lol! What a stuuuupid thing to do. doh! :D

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:16 pm

Not buying the Samba de Amigo maracas set first time 'round meaning it cost me a pretty penny to purchase more recently...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:01 am

My biggest regret is letting my parents sell my old Amstrad CPC with a heap of discs containing programs that I had worked on for hours on end myself.

The computer itself you can replace, but the programs, well I tried to track it down (we sold it to my cousin) but I've accepted that I'll never see it again.

andrew_rollings

Post by andrew_rollings » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:39 am

Giving away all my Spectrum tapes and most importantly my "Maps Folder"
I used to cut out all of the maps in magazines and give them a cardboard backing... I had hundred of maps in there for Spectrum and Amiga games...

A bunch of them I had drawn myself, including Killer Tomatoes on the Speccy and a bunch of others I can't remember. The best of them that I did was a hand drawn/inked Shadow of the Beast 2 map...

In fact this reminds me of a 'regret' I still have to this day:

Does anyone else think that new games aren't mappable in the same way as old games? Maybe it's just that I'm older, but I used to love spending evenings and weekends mapping a game - exploring all the screens and drawing them on graph paper as I did so... Even better was doing it with a mate: him playing and me drawing...

I wish I could remember some more of the maps I'd drawn :(

Andrew

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:18 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Not buying the Samba de Amigo maracas set first time 'round meaning it cost me a pretty penny to purchase more recently...
I think that can be applied to most of us at some stage. Not buying X game or X console and now paying a pretty penny to get them 10+ years later.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:25 am

ShadowMan wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Not buying the Samba de Amigo maracas set first time 'round meaning it cost me a pretty penny to purchase more recently...
I think that can be applied to most of us at some stage. Not buying X game or X console and now paying a pretty penny to get them 10+ years later.
The reverse is also true. Smiled to myself when I bought Turok on the N64 for £2 knowing it cost £70 back in the day.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:15 am

sscott wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
The reverse is also true. Smiled to myself when I bought Turok on the N64 for £2 knowing it cost £70 back in the day.
One of the beauties of retro gaming. Apart from those hard to find games you can pick up all those games of yesteryear for a fraction of the price.
Then, theres when you get lucky and find a really rare game for next to nothing (like my complete copy of Kloana I got for 50p :D )
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:20 am

C=Style wrote:Definitely the time I ran up a £600 phone bill for PSO on Dreamcast.
I remember getting a call at work from my wife who was pregnant, expecting news on our impending new arrival, only to get an earbashing for the phone bill that she had recieved, just over £400, PSO and Quake 3 were definately the main offenders. Glad to know I wasnt alone ;)
Just where is Mickey T?