Biggest Gaming Regret

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroKingSimon

Biggest Gaming Regret

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:26 am

What is your biggest gaming regret? Have you spent a fortune on a new 'revolutionary' system only for it to flop? Or did you impulse buy something on eBay at an inflated price only to wish you hadn't? Or did you sell something because you didn't think you wanted it any more only to realise how much you missed it? :shock:

My biggest regret is when I briefly lost interest in gaming and sold my Speccy +3 with a shitload of games, countless magazine cover tapes, and all sorts of odd 'n' sods collected over the years (including a Romantic Robot Multiface 3). I regretted it soon afterwards and bought another Speccy +3 but I've since failed to track down a lot of the stuff I used to cherish. :(

A friend of mine also paid God knows how much for a CDi at its launch. I think they were £500 or something, maybe even more. I think it's safe to say he regretted that one :P

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:32 am

I've only sold three games ever, and even then I regret doing it. I think I was broke at the time, coming out of the gaming loop, and places like Pink Planet and Games Exchange started to pop up. I got rid of Soleil, Ranger X and Mega Turrican (all MD). I wish I still had them.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:33 am

Not picking up the copy of We love Katamari from Gamestation, never seen a copy anywhere since and can't affordit anyhow. :(
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

wienerman

Post by wienerman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:36 am

yep, i have regrets giving away all consoles i have ever owned to charity, or selling the xbox :cry: seemed like a good idea at the time considering i always upgraded and didnt need the old consoles. now i wish i had them :cry:

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:36 am

Muteki wrote:I've only sold three games ever, and even then I regret doing it. I think I was broke at the time, coming out of the gaming loop, and places like Pink Planet and Games Exchange started to pop up. I got rid of Soleil, Ranger X and Mega Turrican (all MD). I wish I still had them.
I've got Ranger X and Mega Turrican. Are they worth a lot now then? :shock:

CraigGrannell

Re: Biggest Gaming Regret

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:40 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:What is your biggest gaming regret?
Selling all my C64 stuff, without saving to D64 (which wasn't an option at the time) all my SEUCK and music stuff.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:46 am

Not buying Banjo Tooie or Jet Force Gemini on N64 - I completed/maxxed out all the other Nintendo/Rare titles but somehow missed these and I can't be arsed to go back and play them now. Jet Force Gemini was ace as well :(

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:49 am

Sir Clive and Sir Alan not getting married and having babies
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:51 am

RetroKingSimon wrote:I've got Ranger X and Mega Turrican. Are they worth a lot now then? :shock:
I wouldn't know, they're just great games that I wish I hadn't got rid of.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:35 am

Amonst my regrets are trading in Resident Evil, G Police and a few other games I got for my brand new Playstation for a copy of Mortal Kombat 3, only to trade that in for something else later down the line (Always kicked myself for that as whe I actually bothered to play RE it became one of the best series I ever played!)

Another regret is buying a cheap copy of Mega Man ZX Advent off of eBay just last week. When it arrives I find it is a cheap fake! Got a refund now but just really gutted.

However my biggest regret really isn't my fault entirely, but it is having Parcel Force steal my Parcel which had a completely mint copy of Mega Man 5 for the Gameboy in. That really drove me mad. Whats worse is when another came along a couple of months later I got outbid at the last minute! (to be fair it was over $200 at that point and I really had doubts over its worth for that price!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:46 am

I once won an eBay auction for a mint copy of Radiant Silvergun from someone in the States who said in their listing that they accepted PayPal. The auction ended at £80 and I was well chuffed to get it for that price. I sent the payment via PayPal only for the person to decline it and tell me they didn't accept PayPal :shock: :cry:

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:51 am

Luckily I've never sold any console/game but obviously wishing I had kept all the boxes for my computers, consoles & games.

Another regret, although it may have ended up having nothing to do with gaming, was that, despite having "an exceptional flair for programming" at the age of 13, I left school and went into mechanical engineering.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 am

The usual kind of stuff really...

Selling my C64 with disk drive and over 100 original games in the early 90's.

Buying a boxed 'New Old Stock' Megadrive 2 with Mega-CD and loads of games (including Sonic CD) for around £50 in the late 90's and selling it at a boot sale no more than a couple of years later... :(
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:18 am

Just like many of you, selling my consoles and games to get the newer system (NES for SNES, SNES for PS1), I never thought I'd go back to older games though...
I also wish I kept all the boxes of all my games/consoles...

Another thing that annoys me a lot is losing several games... A few dozen games were stolen when my parents' house was robbed, but there are several games which I bought after that, that disappeared from my collection...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:34 am

Definitely the time I ran up a £600 phone bill for PSO on Dreamcast. That was a bastard to pay off. I also wish I hadn't sold some of my childhood machines like the MSX. I never really bought something that flopped, well bar the Saturn (if you call it a flop) so I guess that was a regret when the games dried up. Also, the time I f'ed up 2 of my Xbox's by flashing one with the wrong BIOS and another actual short circuit by squeezing a 1.6 motherboard to a 1.3 shell. They got repaired eventually but was a total nightmare at the time.