Amstrad CPC Emulation

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Amstrad CPC Emulation

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:33 am

So, thought I would have a crack at CPC emulation. The 2 which seem to be most popular are Caprice & WinApe. However, it appears that its not possible to just open the rom and load the game.

So, are there any other CPC emu's which allow you to just open the rom and the game will load automaticaly?

Being a bit sad, I like to use Gamebase to create a database for each emu - but I can't get gamebase to launch the game in these.

Suggestions for other emu's would be good or some advice on getting these to work with gamebase would also be nice!

Ta!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

DJevAL

Post by DJevAL » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:34 am

Hi dude,

WinApe has the ability to auto-run the game ... when you download the ZIP (best place TACGR site) press Ctrl + F1 or open from the File menu, there's a tick box below the filename field to auto-run the game. This works pretty much 99% of the time.

Note - WinApe's a Amstrad Plus machine emulator, there are maybe a small handful of games that couldn't run on a Plus machine. I forget which, but none that are of any real importance.

There is a massive gamebase ZIP to download from somewhere that was posted by a French guy on the CPCZone forums, think its in the General forum but I haven't used it yet, don't really have to with over 2000 games downloaded from TACGR!

www.cpcgamereviews.com is good site to get started with as it has quick reviews, screenshots and a link to directly download the games, good for a beginner for CPC emulation.

If you want any recommendation of games, feel free to ask.

DJevAL

Post by DJevAL » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:36 am

Alternatively in any emulator if the disk is open and loaded...

type CAT to see disk contents

then RUN"<mainfile>" to start

ie RUN"DISK.BAS"

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:41 am

so which, in your opinion, is the best CPC emu as i want to start trying those games out?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

DJevAL

Post by DJevAL » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:50 am

JetSetWilly wrote:so which, in your opinion, is the best CPC emu as i want to start trying those games out?
WinApe by a mile, personally for me. Will take you all of 10mins to get used to it, but for me its one of the best emulators I've seen for any system. Very easy to use.

Especially when you discover how you can do pokes (found on CPCZone gamebase), rip graphics, save music to WAV, record games both in several codecs and for replay in tournaments, etc. Essential for anyone wanting to dig about in game code with its excellent debugger.

Also its regularly updated with new features and bugs patched, other CPC emulators seem to be forgotten or not updated as much.

I found Caprice to crash a lot on various machines.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:54 am

My personal favourite CPC emulator is WinApe. For me it provides the best accuracy.

Also when running games, you don't need to add the extension:

e.g RUN"DISK rather than RUN"DISK.BAS

both work though!

Also, if when you type CAT to bring up the directory you may find there is no directory. In these rare cases, type |CPM to load (Gauntlet II is a good example of needing to do this)

DJevAL

Post by DJevAL » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:00 am

batman877 wrote: Also, if when you type CAT to bring up the directory you may find there is no directory. In these rare cases, type |CPM to load (Gauntlet II is a good example of needing to do this)
Good call, forgot about that! Although again, very few games use this.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:18 am

DJevAL wrote:WinApe has the ability to auto-run the game ... when you download the ZIP (best place TACGR site) press Ctrl + F1 or open from the File menu, there's a tick box below the filename field to auto-run the game. This works pretty much 99% of the time.
Thanks for this!
DJevAL wrote:Alternatively in any emulator if the disk is open and loaded...
type CAT to see disk contents
then RUN"<mainfile>" to start
ie RUN"DISK.BAS"
Which is what I am trying to avoid!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:58 am

Ooh, WinApe is splendid. Cheers for the tip, and bye-bye CapRiCe.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:11 am

In my opinion, there's only one CPC emulator and that's WinApe - I've been using it for years now.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:42 am

Fine for Windows - what of other platforms? (e.g. PSP, DS or even Mac (there must be someone with one)).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:51 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Ooh, WinApe is splendid. Cheers for the tip, and bye-bye CapRiCe.
Had a quick look and it is indeed splendid - many hours on cpcgamereviews.com ahead (for research purposes only)

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:20 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Fine for Windows - what of other platforms? (e.g. PSP, DS or even Mac (there must be someone with one)).
PSP:
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/in ... /3-Amstrad

DS:
http://deadketchup.kyuran.be/2007/11/09/crocods-20-2/

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:31 am

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:39 am