Saturn Recommendations Please :)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:19 am

Get that PlayStation stuff out of the Saturn thread :wink: :P

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Topping this, some really nice recommendations. I'll be looking at picking up a lot more Jap Saturn stuff now that something capable of playing the games resides in my er... residence.

Actually I do have a question as well - when I flick my Saturn to 60hz mode it clips off the left side of the screen very slightly (for example, in MSH vs SF, you can't see the 'L' on 'Level' for Player 1's special bar). Is there any way to avoid that? Tried sticking my LCD in 4:3 but that doesn't help and it also does it on CRTs. It's a modded Mk. I Saturn and I'm using a SCART cable.

Edit: actually, seems to be the case in 50hz too.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:52 am

Sureshot wrote:I'll be looking at picking up a lot more Jap Saturn stuff now that something capable of playing the games resides in my er... residence.
Got some jap Saturn games for trade in my trade thread:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9132

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:27 am

Sureshot wrote:Topping this, some really nice recommendations. I'll be looking at picking up a lot more Jap Saturn stuff now that something capable of playing the games resides in my er... residence.

Actually I do have a question as well - when I flick my Saturn to 60hz mode it clips off the left side of the screen very slightly (for example, in MSH vs SF, you can't see the 'L' on 'Level' for Player 1's special bar). Is there any way to avoid that? Tried sticking my LCD in 4:3 but that doesn't help and it also does it on CRTs. It's a modded Mk. I Saturn and I'm using a SCART cable.

Nothing you can do at all unless you have a TV that allows you fiddle with the horizontal layout (some have this option). It does seem to cut a fair old chunk off too. Seems to make it veer off to the left in NTSC 60hz. If you weren't using RGB it would be ok, just one of the small faults you learn to live with.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:18 pm

question for the experts here,was reading a review of megaman 4 for saturn,saying the usa version has english with some text, and the reviewer said the jap version has more movies and stuff,would it have english text on the screen?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:02 am

Fred83 wrote:question for the experts here,was reading a review of megaman 4 for saturn,saying the usa version has english with some text, and the reviewer said the jap version has more movies and stuff,would it have english text on the screen?
There would be no English text when any of the Japanese movies are playing. Also can you point me in the direction of that article as I'm not aware of Mega Man X4 having more movies on the Japanese version (only differences are the Japanese voices and the vocal song intro in the game to my knowledge).
All the story text is in Japanese, but the text displayed when you get a new weapon or select a boss is in English.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Just received nissan presents over drivin gt-r, (its an jap version of need for speed but with nissan only cars)

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:32 pm

Is it any good? I didn't even know about that game?

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:35 pm

its not bad,only wanted it for my collection,its a novelty too since its just nissan,some screenshots here mate

http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-gam ... n-JPN.html

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Oh, it seems I already have that game! :o It's actually the original Need For Speed, but with Nissan cars instead of the Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc. The extra tracks were nice on the Saturn/PlayStation version, but I prefer the 3DO version for gameplay. :)

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:08 pm

Fred83 wrote:Just received nissan presents over drivin gt-r, (its an jap version of need for speed but with nissan only cars)
erhm....

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:44 pm

MikeHaggar wrote:
Fred83 wrote:Just received nissan presents over drivin gt-r, (its an jap version of need for speed but with nissan only cars)
erhm....
Oh yeah! That shows how carefully I read the original post, doesn't it! :P :oops:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:47 pm

MikeHaggar wrote:
Sureshot wrote:I'll be looking at picking up a lot more Jap Saturn stuff now that something capable of playing the games resides in my er... residence.
Got some jap Saturn games for trade in my trade thread:
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9132[/quote

has Enemy Zero got english subs and japanese language?
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:28 am

No. Japanese all the way.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:00 am

C=Style wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Topping this, some really nice recommendations. I'll be looking at picking up a lot more Jap Saturn stuff now that something capable of playing the games resides in my er... residence.

Nothing you can do at all unless you have a TV that allows you fiddle with the horizontal layout (some have this option). It does seem to cut a fair old chunk off too. Seems to make it veer off to the left in NTSC 60hz. If you weren't using RGB it would be ok, just one of the small faults you learn to live with.
A lot of TV's have hidden technician menu's which you can probably find on google or whatever. They involve putting in a code on the remote and generally gives you access to the horizontal shift option which otherwise you can't get/ I know the Sony one for Sony CRT's if that helps anyone?

Weird how you get the push across on lcd though - certainly on mine I have total screen view in 4:3 on my Sony HD.

All the consoles tend to do it in RGB scart - that's why a lot of PS1 games had the option to move the screen which was a massive help.