Saturn Recommendations Please :)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:04 am

Mootown wrote:
C=Style wrote:
Sureshot wrote:Topping this, some really nice recommendations. I'll be looking at picking up a lot more Jap Saturn stuff now that something capable of playing the games resides in my er... residence.

Actually I do have a question as well - when I flick my Saturn to 60hz mode it clips off the left side of the screen very slightly (for example, in MSH vs SF, you can't see the 'L' on 'Level' for Player 1's special bar). Is there any way to avoid that? Tried sticking my LCD in 4:3 but that doesn't help and it also does it on CRTs. It's a modded Mk. I Saturn and I'm using a SCART cable.

Edit: actually, seems to be the case in 50hz too.
Nothing you can do at all unless you have a TV that allows you fiddle with the horizontal layout (some have this option). It does seem to cut a fair old chunk off too. Seems to make it veer off to the left in NTSC 60hz. If you weren't using RGB it would be ok, just one of the small faults you learn to live with.
A lot of TV's have hidden technician menu's which you can probably find on google or whatever. They involve putting in a code on the remote and generally gives you access to the horizontal shift option which otherwise you can't get/ I know the Sony one for Sony CRT's if that helps anyone?

Weird how you get the push across on lcd though - certainly on mine I have total screen view in 4:3 on my Sony HD.

All the consoles tend to do it in RGB scart - that's why a lot of PS1 games had the option to move the screen which was a massive help.
Thanks, I'll see if I can find something about it, definitely nothing on the default menus anyway. It's possible the console/cable could be dodgy too.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:34 am

why is the saturn version house of dead sought after?

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:58 am

Fred83 wrote:why is the saturn version house of dead sought after?
Which version do you mean?
The NTSC-J copy can be had for $20 sealed while the NTSC-U/C copy is nearly double for a used copy. The reason? The North American copy had a small print run, since it was one of the last games released in the USA and Canada for Sega Saturn. Other than scarity by default, that's the only reason. I will say this, it can't hold a candle to the real thing, which is a shame. If you can source an NTSC-J copy it's worth it if you own a Virtua Gun/Stunner.
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:20 am

looking for jap doom meself,looks very rare indeed

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:01 pm

I like the look of the Cotton games. Are Cotton 2 and Cotton Boomerang the same game? And is it/they the only Cotton game(s) on the Saturn?

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:35 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:I like the look of the Cotton games. Are Cotton 2 and Cotton Boomerang the same game? And is it/they the only Cotton game(s) on the Saturn?
No they are not. Cotton Boomerang allows you to pick a team of varied characters and weapon types unlike Cotton 2.

I'm unaware of any other Cotton games on Saturn simply since Cotton 2 and Boomerang were both converted from ST-V arcade hardware.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:42 pm

Okay, thanks. Do you know if they're both worth getting? What sort of price to they go for these days?

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:25 pm

quick search on ebay,it goes about €20-30 for me

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:14 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:Okay, thanks. Do you know if they're both worth getting? What sort of price to they go for these days?
Boomerang = £35 min.
Cotton 2 = (after a quick search on Yahoo Japan) £25

I only ever got Boomerang and I think it's pretty good. I can say this much, they both having chaining, so perhaps it's wise to get Cotton 2, and then perhaps seek out the more expensive Boomerang.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:03 am

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:26 am

Limbrooke wrote:
Which version do you mean?
The NTSC-J copy can be had for $20 sealed while the NTSC-U/C copy is nearly double for a used copy...
I'm guessing he was refering to the PAL version which seems to have steadilly risen in price over the past few years (saw a normal copy go for 70 quid before xmas!)

The thing to bear in mind is that Saturn HOTD should only be viewed as a collectors item, it is the shoddyest console conversion you could possibly imagine and was reportedly released unfinished (official reports on this vary greatly though)

If you buy to play, avoid Saturn HOTD like the plague, it's a piece of censored.

If you're looking for some zombie shooting arcade fun then grab HOTD2 for Dreamcast of any of the HOTD series for PC which are all excellent (despite the voice acting)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:52 pm

I know play asia offers a service to track down a product,has anyone used this?,how much does it cost?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:46 am

Because it is incredible! It has all the gameplay of the original arcade version, and even the gfx are pretty faithful considering. But certainly the gameplay is where it's at with Saturn HotD.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:50 am

C=Style wrote:
Because it is incredible! It has all the gameplay of the original arcade version, and even the gfx are pretty faithful considering. But certainly the gameplay is where it's at with Saturn HotD.
Yeah, HoTD is still fun on Saturn but it is lacking that same charm acheived from smooth framerate and clean polygons. I don't mean to knock Tantalus as they had done previously excellent work with such limited resources but something tells me this might have turned out better had Sega done HoTD on Saturn internally.