Saturn Recommendations Please :)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroKingSimon

Saturn Recommendations Please :)

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Hello. :) Sorry to make another generic 'recommendations' thread but I have decided to resume my Saturn collection and would like to know about the great Japan-only games for that I don't know about, if you'd be so kind :)

There's a few I've already got, and quite a few I already know about, but there's bound to be loads I don't know about. I'm particularly interested in shooters, platformers, and those crazy quirky games the Japanese are famous for. No RPG's or anything like that though, because of the text problems, obviously! :P Thanks a lot! :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:26 pm

some Japanese games I can think of that you ought to think about checking out:

Astal
Silhouette Mirage
Battle Garegga
Soukyuguerentai
Batsugun
Metal Slug
Kingdom Garndprix
Cotton 2
Salamander Collection
DoDonPachi
Kyuukyoku Tiger II Plus
Sexy Parodious
Strikers 1945 I/II
Thunderforce V
Capcom Collection packs

There just loads man but all of them are top quality. Not cheap mind! You've certainly picked an expensive machine to collect for :)

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:32 pm

C=Style wrote:There just loads man but all of them are top quality. Not cheap mind! You've certainly picked an expensive machine to collect for :)
Really? :? I though there was only a few games that cost a lot. What sort of price range would you say all but the most rare and expensive ones fall into? Between £10 and £30 or something?

Thanks a lot for the list, by the way. There's a few there that I hadn't heard of :)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Saturn pricing is weird - sometimes stuff goes for mega mega loads, othertimes you can get lucky. I guess a lot of it depends on if the person knows the value something is 'supposed' to be.

As far as Saturn jap goes, there is loads as already stated - some ace titles already on the previous list.

My personal other faves (some are expensive admitedly) are:

Hyper Duel - Amazing 2D shooter (especially Saturn mode)

Ghouls N ghosts Incredible Toons - weird puzzle game with GnG styling

Mizubaku Adventure (like a scrolling bubble bobble/parasol stars - by the same peeps in fact)

Elevator Action Returns - Ace platformer - bit like Rolling Thunder in some ways

Jap version of Outrun - miles better than the uk one :)

That's just a few from glancing across my shelf, there's plenty to go at out there.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:18 am

Rockman 8 (Japanese Mega Man 8 which has 2 exclusive bosses, as well as different stage music in places)
Astra Superstars - Funky fighting game which I can best describe as Dragon Ball Z done right. All the battles take place in mid air and has some really nice OTT special moves.
X-Men/MSH Vs SF, Street Fighter Zero 3, Vampire Saviour - Japanese only Capcom fighters that need the RAM cart to play. Practically arcade perfect and all well worth getting.
Soukyugurentai - Fantastic Shmup by Raizing, one of the best on the Saturn.
Battle Garegga - Another fantastic shooter by Raizing, like an amped up Strikers 1945 or Capcoms 19XX series. My personal best Shmup for the Saturn.
Final Fight Revenge - Capcoms stab at a 1 on 1 Final Fight game. Nowhere neat as bad as the reviews portray it, it is quite a fun fighter when you get used to it. To bad it has such a massive (£70+) price tag on it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:44 am

I have to say over the past 4 or 5 years the prices of Saturn games have actually dropped a fair bit. Most of the top games on that list won't be bought for much under £30 and for mint copies with spine cards still intact can fetch upwards of £60 depending on the game. For the quality you get though, it is actually great value. You could quite easily waste £30 on something crap like Bully or FIFA Street 3 nowadays and not batter an eyelid.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:00 am

Mmm.. prices have definitely dropped. Back a few years I was rather surprised to find that an ebay buyer wanted to pay me £60 for a Japanese copy of Outrun (he wanted the remixed music that's not on the PAL release). These days a copy shoudn't trouble you for more than 10-15 quid on Ebay.

Having said that, some of the less common items, like the Capcom Dungeons & Dragons collection, Silvergun, Psychic Killer etc have held their value.

Muteki

Post by Muteki » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:07 am

Mootown wrote:Jap version of Outrun - miles better than the uk one
Didn't know about this - what are the differences between the Japanese one and the one on Sega Ages?

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:12 am

Muteki wrote:
Didn't know about this - what are the differences between the Japanese one and the one on Sega Ages?
This is one that I've already got, actually (both UK and Japanese version). The Japanese one runs a lot faster (60 fps I think) and the stages are in a different order. There might be some other less obvious differences too

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:42 am

Muteki wrote:
There's quite a bit of difference actually - the courses going in a different order is selectable on both versions (it's in the option screen, although the default between the two regions maybe different) The Japanese way for the courses to run (instead of the 'western') actually makes more sense as the difference in setting from one level to another is less jarring, (ie dusty road becomes desert etc) but I prefer the western setting as you get a totally different stage to the last each time.

The Jap version has (selectable in options) remixed music for every single piece of music in the game - so you can play with totally remixed music or original. The UK version only has the original music.

The Jap version has a 'cheat' to set the frame rate to 60 frames per second (more than the original arcade!) This cheat doesn't work on the UK version. Although the UK version seems to run at a better frame rate on default than the Jap one does on default, once you put the 60fps cheat on the Jap version it's so smooth and nice you never want to go back!

Incidently, both versions feature the 'insert coin' cheat which once activated makes the demo run correctly - it continues through the level after the scoreboard has shown rather than resetting back to the beginning.

Basically, the 'cheats' make the game better, but they are both hidden, which is weird.

And the jap remixes are just awesome.

Oh, and the jap packaging is much better, but that goes without saying really!

I kinda like Outrun if you haven't guessed already.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:09 am

King of Fighters '98 - try and get the complete version with the RAM cart.

Jap and expensive, but well worth it.

Also, Marvel Vs Capcom (or is it X-Men Vs Street Fighter)?
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:13 am

X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter was released on Saturn.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:28 am

A few of my favourite Jap Saturn games...

Twinkle Star Sprites - expensive but unique puzzle/shooter
Game Paradise (AKA Game Tengoku) - bonkers vertical shmup set in an Amusement Arcade
Baku Baku Animal - Columns-esque puzzler with great animated animal graphics. PAL version available but for far more money.
Dezaemon 2 - Shoot Em Up Construction Kit for the Saturn! With 3 built-in games
Akumajo Dracula X (AKA Castlevania: Symphony of the Night) - includes morelevels and characters than the PS1 version apparently
Dynamite Deka (AKA Die Hard Arcade) - will cost you considerably less than the PAL version!
Golden Axe: The Duel - 2D Fighting game with GA characters
Nazomakaimura: Incredible Toons - Ghosts n Goblins themed puzzler as already mentioned, but thoght I'd give it's Japanese name which I believe translates as 'Puzzle Demon World Village' :D

Price-wise there is a lot of variance. The cheapest of the above games cost me under £4 including shipping, while the more expensive ones (Twinkle Star and Castlevania) were over £25...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:40 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:King of Fighters '98 - try and get the complete version with the RAM cart.

Jap and expensive, but well worth it.

Also, Marvel Vs Capcom (or is it X-Men Vs Street Fighter)?
'98 was never released on the Saturn, 95, 96 and 97 were though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:59 am

Wow, my memory is really playing up today.

Maybe I need a RAM cart myself :cry:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik