Sonic heroes.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Machine+Soul

Sonic heroes.

Post by Machine+Soul » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:34 am

Just saw Sonic heroes for PC at my local supermarket for £3.99. Is it any good. I am a long time sonic fan but have always preferred Sonic in 2d (like most) however both Sonic Adventures are good.

Any info would be appreciated.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:41 am

It's crapper than any of the Sonic Adverntures, but better than the Sonic games that came after it. :)

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Dunno what the PC version is like, but the PS2 version was scrappy at best (annoying camera, oversensitive controls etc).

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:08 pm

It's a disappointment, picked it up on launch.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:54 pm

I bought SH heavily discounted for my son and was surprised at how good it is. It's gotten some bad press, but on the Gamecube, the gfx are good enough, it's plenty fast paced enough and there's variety by the bucketful within.

Fair enough, some might have felt a bit let down after lashing out £40 for it at launch, but for £3.99? Even if there's only a couple of levels that you consider to be enjoyable, it's still VFM.
Thoughts and prayers.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:19 pm

I haven't played any Sonic games since the first Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast. I didn't like that. :shock: I especially didn't like the way it was set in the 'real world' with people and stuff. :( The last Sonic game I enjoyed was Flickies Island on the Saturn (oh, and Sonic Pocket Adventures for the NGPC) :)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Got it for PC - and its bloody good! The kids love it - and I enjoy it too!

Ignore the guys slagging it off - if you like Sonic games then go for it - at that price you cant really go wrong!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:54 am

I've got both the Gamecube and Xbox version. Sega actually managed to program it better on the GC than on the Xbox (Xbox has slowdown on several boss fights and such making the GC version the best of the 3).
The PS2 version was programmed horribly and should be avoided like the plague though, its not unplayable it just feels that way sometimes!

As for the game itself though, I quite liked it. The levels are HUGE, and there are several slightly different paths depending on which of the three characters you use (fly and take the high road or smash through the wall and take the other path?). Camera is annoying (as always) and some of the enemies have enormous health bars (regular enemies taking several hits slows the game down, bad for a Sonic game).
Only real problem I had was that to get to the really awesome proper final boss you had to play the game through 4 times. Since Team Chaotix had some frustrating objectives such as find X somethings or kill all badniks that can really draw out the levels even longer than they should be.
Well worth a play, I loved it ('cept the play through 4 times thing!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:25 am

I quite liked the second stage and the pinball one was also great fun. It's also one of the best looking Sonic games I reckon, real nice bright colours, as it should be.