Who is your favourite videogame company?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:07 am

I'm not big on following companies, but I did have a soft spot for Microprose and Argonaut.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:09 am

What games did Argonaut do? I have heard of them but I can't recall any game they made.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:59 am

Back in the 8 bit days it was Imagine, now I guess it would be Capcom.
Splink!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:02 am

C=Style wrote:What games did Argonaut do? I have heard of them but I can't recall any game they made.
Starglider and Starfox for starters...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Mr L

Post by Mr L » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:17 am

I would say Nintendo. Obviously the big franchises are great but its the less obvious ones I like such as Pilotwings, Waverace, Yoshis Island and Pikmin.

I even love the Virtual Boy despite its failure.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:34 am

Back then it was Ocean as they released excellent games like Chase HQ & Robocop on the Amstrad.

Nowadays I have no preference, just anyone who does a good game which appeals to me.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:37 am

I wil go with Mastertronic - As a young kid, they were the only games I could afford. Use to get so excited going into my local newsagents and seeing a new Mastertronic Vic20 game.

Sad!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:48 am

id Software for making Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3d, Doom and Quake.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:57 am

ShadowMan wrote:For me it has to be Capcom. First and formost they created Mega Man, my favorite series ever but they also made Street Fighter, Ghosts n Goblins, Dead Rising, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil and to many other games that I've loved to name. Here's hoping they continue to keep making fantastic games.
I agree with that. Capcom has made some great games, I'll add the Final Fight series to the names you've already mentioned.
By the way, does Capcom has anything to do with Palcom?...

But there's also Nintendo... I've grown up with the NES & Super NES, it'll always have a soft spot in my heart... :roll:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:04 am

Difficult one this I'd have difficulty choosing between Nintendo and Capcom, but for me capcom just edge it. I think it's the quality of design, artwork, music composition, great characters, and just the love that seems to go into all their games:

Area 88
Any Street Fighter
Darkstalkers
Final Fight
Okami
Viewtiful Joe
Mars Matrix
Black Tiger
Strider
Ghouls and Ghosts series (and Maximo)
Forgotten Worlds
Three Wonders
Legend of Zelda - Oracle of seasons
Chaos Legion
Dead Rising
Biohazard Series
Aliens Vs Predator Arcade
Captain Commando
Any of the Vs fighters
Mercs
Devil May Cry

I could go on

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:34 am

[Scratches head] Probably Thalamus...

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:41 am

Spooky wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:For me it has to be Capcom. First and formost they created Mega Man, my favorite series ever but they also made Street Fighter, Ghosts n Goblins, Dead Rising, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil and to many other games that I've loved to name. Here's hoping they continue to keep making fantastic games.
I agree with that. Capcom has made some great games, I'll add the Final Fight series to the names you've already mentioned.
By the way, does Capcom has anything to do with Palcom?...

But there's also Nintendo... I've grown up with the NES & Super NES, it'll always have a soft spot in my heart... :roll:
Ah, I completely forgot Final Fight (and Strider and...), Capcom made a whole hoard of fantastic beat em ups back in the day including my personal favorite The Punisher. I'm not sure about the Palcom thing though, I'd have to look into that.
gmintyfresh wrote:Difficult one this I'd have difficulty choosing between Nintendo and Capcom, but for me capcom just edge it. I think it's the quality of design, artwork, music composition, great characters, and just the love that seems to go into all their games:

long list of great games

I could go on
Couldn't agree more, whats weird is I've put hundreds of hours into each one of those games you listed!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:44 am

Oh, and an honourable mention to Program Power (AKA Micro Power) who released a ton of good games on the Acorn Electron including the best version of Qix on the system (Frenzy) and the amazing Killer Gorilla - a Donkey Kong clone that bettered even the official NES version by not omitting the 'pie factory' level.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Takes me back to the days where you'd eagerly await the next game from a person rather than a company. The new Mike Singleton game, the new Pete Cooke game, the new Raffaele Cecco, etc...

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:25 pm

ACME