Last game completed?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:35 am

GarryG wrote:
Crunchy wrote:I can't think of any startegy game that's truly open ended and where you define your own victory conditions etc.
Age of Empires for one... and the Civilization games can also be 'completed' in more than one way.
How about things like Dark Wizard, would you have to play through using every character, and do every sub-quest etc, to finish the game, or just get to the end with one?

I'm not trying to be pedantic, just pointing out that 'finished' can mean different things to different things!!!
Nobody said that "finished" can't mean different things to different people.

There is a campaign mode in Age Of Empires. It can be finished.

The ending of Civilisation is the same no matter what route you take - victory for the player.

If you think a person has only completed a game when they've got to the end through all available routes and unlocked every single unlockable in the game then that's up to you. As I stated earlier in the thread, quite clearly, I'm not in that camp.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:40 am

Fair enough :)
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:21 am

Champions of Norrath on PS2, just started return to Arms

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:33 am

Prehistoric Isle In 1930 on MAME. Took about 30 credits, mind.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:03 pm

I've "reached the ending" (not fully completed though... :wink: :lol: ) of Assault Heroes on the XBLA. It's a good little schmup, if you like this genre, you'll definitely like this one.
A bit short though... (only 4 or 5 levels, divided in several zones, each level lasts probably 20 minutes or so)
I'll play it again to unlock all the achievements. :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:42 pm

Spooky wrote:I've "reached the ending" (not fully completed though... :wink: :lol: ) of Assault Heroes on the XBLA. It's a good little schmup, if you like this genre, you'll definitely like this one.
A bit short though... (only 4 or 5 levels, divided in several zones, each level lasts probably 20 minutes or so)
I've still not been able to get off the last level on that, I keep running out of time, any tips?, other than go as fast as you can that is :D
Splink!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:49 pm

Lego Star Wars PS3 for the millionth time!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:01 pm

felgekarp wrote:
Spooky wrote:I've "reached the ending" (not fully completed though... :wink: :lol: ) of Assault Heroes on the XBLA. It's a good little schmup, if you like this genre, you'll definitely like this one.
I've still not been able to get off the last level on that, I keep running out of time, any tips?, other than go as fast as you can that is :D
Er... I finished it on my first try with 20 seconds left, so I can't really help you. Try the easy mode? :lol:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:48 pm

I completed Renegade again on the Spectrum today, well I say completed but it just loops forever done 2 loops then got bored :P Now there's a game that never ends crunchy. :)

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:38 pm

C=Style wrote:I completed Renegade again on the Spectrum today, well I say completed but it just loops forever done 2 loops then got bored :P Now there's a game that never ends crunchy. :)
Crunchy wrote:Anything that has a clear structure usually has an endpoint, unless it's a game that's about going for score and incorporates wraparound levels etc.
Even then the game has a recognisable endpoint.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:34 am

Let's not debate over the word "completed" but rather on the games that were indeed completed (whatever it means to you)...

I've finished the Guitar Hero 3 Career mode on normal (with 5 stars on each song). Some of the songs were a real pain in the a*** to master, but after several tries on "Rain" by Slayer, I finally did it...
Now off to the Hard mode... :roll: I don't think I have enough fingers on my left hand to do it! :lol:

jimid2

Post by jimid2 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:33 am

The last game I completed was GUN: Showdown on the PSP; finished the story mode three days ago, with 75% of the game complete - there's a tonne of side missions and secrets to find in this game, but now that I've acquired all the weapons and finished off the narrative I don't feel much compelled to go searching out every little gold deposit or win every horse race - then again, I've never been much of a completionist :) I enjoyed the game very much, despite some niggling control frustrations, largely due to the excellent spagetti wester atmosphere the game manages to create - I found it a lot of fun, spent maybe 22 hours on it total...

Confessor

Post by Confessor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:49 am

Syphon Filter 3 on PS1.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:42 am

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 crap ending great game.

Golden Axe XBLA- I still can't 1 cc it for that last achievement though.

Currently working away on Bully and Lost Odyssey.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Confessor wrote:Syphon Filter 3 on PS1.
Is it any good? I like the first 2 and I'm considering getting this one too... :wink: