Last game completed?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:09 pm

C=Style wrote:Track racing games are one of those genres which is hard to say when you've completed them as they have no Story and effectively have infinitive replay value.
Most have career modes and a finite number of trophies to win or cars to unlock. I honestly don't think there's many games these days that don't have clearly defined points where the player can say they've finished. Anything that has a clear structure usually has an endpoint, unless it's a game that's about going for score and incorporates wraparound levels etc.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:12 pm

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

I'm currently going through and completing the medals, getting any missed treasures, etc., so I can unlock everything.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:14 pm

Certainly some sports games like FIFA don't end as you just do infinite seasons.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:21 pm

C=Style wrote:Certainly some sports games like FIFA don't end as you just do infinite seasons.
The goals that are set for the gamer end though. Win all the leagues, win all the cups, complete the challenges, all that stuff. At which point a person could justifiably say they've finished the game ... and then still carry on playing it for extra seasons if they wanted to. Whereas somebody else might not bother and move to another game for new challenges because they've finished FIFA.

A recognisable endpoint doesn't haven't to be a screenshot that shows "The End" in big letters.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:27 pm

Uncharted. Again.

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:36 pm

I haven't completed any game in a while, although I'm trying to beat Metroid Fusion under 2 hours with 100% item collection rate.

kevinpetit

Post by kevinpetit » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:47 pm

The Terminator on Mega Drive, with difficulty set to very hard. I must have completed this game about 20 times by now... 8)

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:42 pm

Streets of rage 2 and Resident Evil 4 both on wii. The wii version of streets seems easier than I remeber it. As soon as I finished RE 4 I started again! a fantastic game.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:31 pm

Reached 'Prestige' mode on COD4.

No way was I trading in all my guns 'n' perks for a silly little icon :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:31 pm

Professor Layton on the DS last week :)

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:55 pm

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. It took over 15 hours and is also the first Castlevania game I've completed. I have the Castlevania Double Pack cart so I'm moving onto Aria of Sorrow now. I didn't feel it was a series worth getting into but I've changed my mind now.

kevinpetit

Post by kevinpetit » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:54 am

Cornelius wrote:Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. It took over 15 hours and is also the first Castlevania game I've completed. I have the Castlevania Double Pack cart so I'm moving onto Aria of Sorrow now. I didn't feel it was a series worth getting into but I've changed my mind now.
You should definitely try 'Castlevania: Symphony of the Night' then. I think this is one of the best games in the series, if not the best.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:26 am

kevinpetit wrote:
Cornelius wrote:Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. It took over 15 hours and is also the first Castlevania game I've completed. I have the Castlevania Double Pack cart so I'm moving onto Aria of Sorrow now. I didn't feel it was a series worth getting into but I've changed my mind now.
You should definitely try 'Castlevania: Symphony of the Night' then. I think this is one of the best games in the series, if not the best.
SOTN, Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow are probably the best of the "Metroidvania" Castlevania games, all are worth playing.
As for the old shcool Castlevania games its well worth checking out Castlevania 3 (Nes), Super Castlevania 4 (Snes) and Dracula X Rondo of the Blood (PC Engine Duo). Personally I'd say either 3, 4 or X are the best of the bunch since SOTN is far to easy and detracts slightly from the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:31 am

Bioshock. Not with all the achievements unlocked. The same goes with Rez HD but only the "play" mode to unlock the 5 levels. However, if you get to see the ending of a game then I see it as completed, which I would say has always been traditional videogame talk. Even if you haven't got all the bonuses or gone to hidden rooms or secret levels, each game can always be completed differently however you choose.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:18 am

Crunchy wrote:I can't think of any startegy game that's truly open ended and where you define your own victory conditions etc.
Age of Empires for one... and the Civilization games can also be 'completed' in more than one way.
How about things like Dark Wizard, would you have to play through using every character, and do every sub-quest etc, to finish the game, or just get to the end with one?

I'm not trying to be pedantic, just pointing out that 'finished' can mean different things to different things!!!

I've just finished D2 again.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog