Silly question probably but.....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

JackBurton-Me

Silly question probably but.....

Post by JackBurton-Me » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:13 pm

Is a Wii a good machine if I want to play old classic games?

I'm not all that up on the latest generation of games and I reckon my girlfriend would be keener on us having a Wii in our living room than a PS3 (the likes of the tennis appeals to her) but will I be able for example to download and play old SNES games?

I'd love to have Mario Kart, Starfox etc in my living room.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:16 pm

No. Get a SNES and a shitload of games for a hell of a lot less cash.

Only buy a Wii if you want a Wii. Virtual Console works fine but is a big fat rip iff.

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:20 pm

SirClive wrote:No. Get a SNES and a shitload of games for a hell of a lot less cash.

Only buy a Wii if you want a Wii. Virtual Console works fine but is a big fat rip iff.
Thanks. Kind of want a Wii as well. When you say virtual console is a rip off, can you elaborate on that at all? What kind of costs are associated with it?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Games range from 600 to 1000 points each I believe, depending on the system (eg. 600 for NES, 800 for MD, 1000 for N64) . 100 points is about equivalent to 1 euro or about 70p. So you are paying between £4 and £7 per game. Which is expensive for a virtual rom that you can play for free on a PC emulator.
The classic games are 50hz so not the faster US versions and have not been optimised with additional content (unlike say the XBOX 360 live arcade stuff).

You would also need to get a Gamecube or Classic controller as many of the games won't work with the remote.

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:40 pm

It just ends up being cheaper to buy the original machines and the games then to collect stuff on VC...and as Sir Clive mentioned, without achievement points or optimisations there really is no reason to get them over the ROM versions or the originals.

However, it's still a corker of a machine if you have a lot of friends who are into games...basically the only one too that your female friends will be happy to sit and play for hours! Always helps :)

The games are getting better and better too in my opinion...although the graphics are holding the machine back a little, they are starting to cater to an older audience which is good to see.

In the end...you just have to buy them all right ;P
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:44 pm

Absolutely. The Wii is a great machine if you want a NEW machine. If you want old stuff then its not great, but you still get the new :)

thl

Post by thl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Rather settle with the original console or play it through emulation. By the way, you'll spend less time going online through the next-gen console than playing.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:17 pm

JackBurton-Me wrote:
SirClive wrote:No. Get a SNES and a shitload of games for a hell of a lot less cash.

Thanks. Kind of want a Wii as well. When you say virtual console is a rip off, can you elaborate on that at all? What kind of costs are associated with it?
VC games are expensive, and are usually the butchered PAL versions. You also need an extra £20 controller to play a lot of them and thus have to play with a remote in your lap the entire time.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:19 pm

which defeats the wireless ethic

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:08 pm

Just get it for Wii Sports, everyone will want to play it and you'll never get tired of it because trying to beat your records is always fun.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:13 pm

Snes machine with the cart you like is hell a lot faster(instant) than loading things in the Wii :D

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:23 pm

The Virtual Console is just like any other emulator, except it's legal. And some games aren't even available on VC yet.

Buy a SNES, or a NES, and get the real deal.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:37 pm

I know I say this a lot but think about getting a modded Xbox, you will be able to play virtually any system 16-bit and down perfectly, and without these nasty 50hz borders that the VC suffers from. Would save you a LOT of money in he long run, plus you would be a very happy bunny I can assure you.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:42 pm

i have not bought anything from vertual console...i could as i have enough nintedo stars to buy enough wii points to get a couple of games but i'm saving them in a vain hope that nintendo will stick somthing more hard to get than operation wolf on vc.as to actualy paying good money for games....i'm a purist i'm afraid....nes games should be played using a nes!
plus why pay that much for a game that is only worth a couple of quid anywhere else
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:55 pm

C=Style wrote:I know I say this a lot but think about getting a modded Xbox, you will be able to play virtually any system 16-bit and down perfectly, and without these nasty 50hz borders that the VC suffers from. Would save you a LOT of money in he long run, plus you would be a very happy bunny I can assure you.
That's the thing, it would be emulated anyway. The X Box does NOT have the same hardware as the old 16-bit systems so it would HAVE to be emulated anyway.

I prefer the real deal, it's in most cases most accurate anyway.