Which has the most influence on YOU?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which affects you most in your everyday life?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:16 pm

TV programmes
3%
Films
17%
News items
14%
Novels
9%
Video Games
29%
Music
14%
None of the above / other
14%

Total votes: 35

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:29 am

To be honest sscott, not everybody wants a life with a wife and children and I don't think there is anything wrong with somebody who puts videogames, music or any other hobbies before them. I think a single life is more prevalent in society today than it ever has been. A social life and job is important though. :)

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:35 am

sscott wrote:News and newspapers for me. I'm 33 but feel middle-aged already in that I rant at the media. Games are the 'icing on the cake' of my life as I have a wife, child, job, family and social life (sort of) which take priority. I truly hope that none of you would have games as the number 1 influence in your life.
I also really hope that none of you fit that image of some anti-social 'world on their shoulders' curtain shutting recluse who only play games and listen to music that confirm ther grim existence on life.
Or something.

This should really be in the off topic section of course.
i don't feel that i am antisocial...but i do some times feel that society is becoming anti-me!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:13 am

Why is 'Yorkshire Tea' not up there?
:)
'What's a Ftoomch?'

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:07 am

C=Style wrote:To be honest sscott, not everybody wants a life with a wife and children and I don't think there is anything wrong with somebody who puts videogames, music or any other hobbies before them. I think a single life is more prevalent in society today than it ever has been. A social life and job is important though. :)
Oh I agree, certainly not forcing anyone into marriage! plus two cars, dog etc...was really just focusing on the importance of other things outside of gaming. As usual my opinion carries as much (or as little) weight as everyone else. Now its a nice day everyone, go outside and play with your friends and I don't want to see you until tea time. :wink:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:43 am

russgalleywood wrote:Why is 'Yorkshire Tea' not up there?
Because it is a poor imitation of good tea.

Technomancer

Post by Technomancer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:12 am

It stands close between games and music, but I have to say games.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:25 am

[Scratches head] i s'pose it depends on what we mean by "influence" really... i said video games but the influences i'm aware of (as SirClive pointed out, only a part of it will be conscious) are mostly from that direction. Usually it manifests itself as reactions, on hearing certain words or phrases it'll trigger an association... although i'm failing utterly to think of a recent example and the only ones i can think of are telly-related; when someone says "so" and then doesn't continue the sentence, i always seem to respond "a needle pulling thread" (a joke taken from HIGNFY) and a Rory Bremner sketch ages ago has me automatically relating the name Gordon Brown with the words "texture like sun".

And yes, i do worry about myself sometimes... why do you ask?

8bitgamer

Post by 8bitgamer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:48 am

Video games and comics, since I write about them both.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:20 am

I'd like to say games, but I can't - I went with movies.

Three movies to be precise:

1) Canonball Run.
2) Risky Business
3) Weird Science.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:44 am

Since more time is spent listening to music than playing games it has to be the former. I'm finding more great bands every day and finding out about them than I do with new games. Love my games but music does take a priority.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:36 am

Thank fook someone else voted for music, I was begining to feel very alone :?

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:43 pm

SirClive wrote:
russgalleywood wrote:Why is 'Yorkshire Tea' not up there?
Because it is a poor imitation of good tea.
Hold me back someone, I'm gonna 'lump im' !!

:P
'What's a Ftoomch?'

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Novels for sure, no question for me.

Video games have been great, and i think about them and read about them a lot - but not ONCE has a video game influenced by behaviour apart from when i'm holding a joypad of some description....not once have i learned a life lesson from a video game that has changed my personality ;)

Novels and films have done that...novels more so, non-fiction books even more so but i guess they don't count :)
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Vir_Lucis wrote:Novels for sure, no question for me.

Video games have been great, and i think about them and read about them a lot - but not ONCE has a video game influenced by behaviour apart from when i'm holding a joypad of some description....not once have i learned a life lesson from a video game that has changed my personality ;)

Novels and films have done that...novels more so, non-fiction books even more so but i guess they don't count :)
I'm not ashamed to say video games have influenced me a great deal. From the yelling of Riiiiiiiidge Raaaacer as I undertake on the motorway (tch, middle lane crawlers :roll: ) to Pacman impressions at in appropriate moments - use your imagination!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:17 pm

Vir_Lucis wrote:Novels for sure, no question for me.

Completely agree.
Will2097" wrote:I'm not ashamed to say video games have influenced me a great deal. From the yelling of Riiiiiiiidge Raaaacer as I undertake on the motorway
I would suggest that the game has had no influence, just the music. Are you saying you undertake because you did on RR?