Which has the most influence on YOU?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which affects you most in your everyday life?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:16 pm

TV programmes
3%
Films
17%
News items
14%
Novels
9%
Video Games
29%
Music
14%
None of the above / other
14%

Total votes: 35

paranoid marvin

Which has the most influence on YOU?

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:16 pm

Possibly not game-related (although it IS a spin-off from the Manhunt thread). feel free to move it if you wish

Which medium has the most influence on YOU? Which affects your everyday actions or your thoughts , whether for good or bad - if at all?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Video games of course. They are what I look forward to reading about during breaks, listening to shows about while I work and playing while I relax. How can any of the other items you've listed compete with that?

I could have chosen 'other' and added Mrs Ant, but that seems out of context for what you're looking for. If its just media, then it has to be games for me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Games, since they're the primary element of my job.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:32 pm

No idea. Most influence is subconscious.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:33 pm

Tbh it's a close run thing for me - No game can make me laugh as much , or put me in a 'silly' mood as much as Red Dwarf ; and no videogame can make me feel as mentally 'pumped-up' as Rocky , or Over The Top. I've yet to play a anything that comforts me as much as some of my CDs , or as outraged as some events in the news.

Yet , if I'm bored , my first thought is to turn to my PC , DC or PSP , and if I was shipwrecked on a desert island , I would choose a videogame above a CD, DVD or novel
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:02 pm

i would like to be able to say that although i highly enjoy video games they have no influence on my life or the decisions i make...
however after spending the past week playing bully on the wii i did feel my right hand clench into a fist when i saw a group of school kids mouthing off the other day!....so maybe i should go back to space invadors for a bit! :?
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:31 pm

Music, Games, Film & TV are all big parts of what I like. It's hard to pick one.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Space aliens.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Video games of course! music coming in a close second, don't really watch TV much.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:18 pm

David Icke.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:33 pm

i tend to use a lot of film and tv quotes...try to stop usually as i annoy myself :D

but seeing as my mp3 player is never more than 6 inches away i'll say music!

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:03 pm

Don't laugh or snigger, but how come sex is not on the list??

Meeting gorgeous or even not so gorgeous women and having a good time is very inspiring.

Sex in general inspires a lot of people, so it should be on the list.

It also inspires certain individuals to hunt out alleged and actual sequences in games - Tomb Raiders infamous "Naked Lara" and GTA:SA's "Hot Coffee" scenes respectively.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:32 pm

I love video games and music, but it's novels and news items that have the most effect on me. When I play a game, however much I love it, once I finish it it goes in a drawer and gets forgotten about. If I read a great novel or see an interesting news item it often encourages me to read up and educate myself about the subjects covered. I've had my whole view of the world changed by something I've read in a novel.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:53 pm

My boss's foul and changeable temper affects my day to day life. It can be anything from easy to brutal depending on how much I'm prepared to let it bother me.

I find a quick, quiet word in his ear about a trip to the carpark to kick his ass (where no-one can see us) usually calms things down!
Thoughts and prayers.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:17 pm

News and newspapers for me. I'm 33 but feel middle-aged already in that I rant at the media. Games are the 'icing on the cake' of my life as I have a wife, child, job, family and social life (sort of) which take priority. I truly hope that none of you would have games as the number 1 influence in your life.
I also really hope that none of you fit that image of some anti-social 'world on their shoulders' curtain shutting recluse who only play games and listen to music that confirm ther grim existence on life.
Or something.

This should really be in the off topic section of course.