Which Game Do You Think Will Dominate This Year???

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:09 pm

Nah, only prologue will be out this year and that won't be in the top 3.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Whereas I don't care. They'll both be near identical. Much like the X-Box, PS2 or PC choice for previous ones, it won't make much difference.

We can safely assume its going to sell bucketloads and be massively successful whether its warranted or not, just based on hype and reputation.

I'm more interested in what else is out there? Will we see anything comparable for Wii? Will we see games designed for Wii instead of having motion control tagged onto an old genre? Will the new generation of titles really offer anything new? We've moved out of the early dev zone, both the main machines should be well into their stride this year. Will 360 maintain its relative position with cross platform titles? Or will PS3 streak ahead and become the machine of choice?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:10 pm

It might not be the ideal game for more serious gamers, but I predict Mario and Sonic at the Olympics could top it come year end. It's been number 1 in the charts for weeks on end and when sales started to dip, out came the DS version. Also bare in mind that over the Christmas period and into January, M&S was sold out due to Nintendo not being able to produce enough copies. Then there is the fact that this is an official licensed Beijing Olympics product so come August there is likely to be another surge of sales. Although its not an established IP, it has 2 of the most recognised characters on the planet. Now that it appears that Nintendo has finally got its Wii production problems sorted out, the console will continue to sell well, in addition to its well established user base. M&S has sold over 500k units in the UK alone.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:16 pm

SirClive wrote:That's a very good point. I am really torn over which one I should go for.
The Xbox 360 version will have exclusive single player DLC.

If you're going to play online then it would be best to get whatever version everybody else you play online with gets.

If you're only playing single player and don't care about DLC or online, then get the one you can get cheapest I guess ;)

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Mantas wrote:It might not be the ideal game for more serious gamers, but I predict Mario and Sonic at the Olympics could top it come year end. It's been number 1 in the charts for weeks on end and when sales started to dip, out came the DS version. Also bare in mind that over the Christmas period and into January, M&S was sold out due to Nintendo not being able to produce enough copies. Then there is the fact that this is an official licensed Beijing Olympics product so come August there is likely to be another surge of sales. Although its not an established IP, it has 2 of the most recognised characters on the planet. Now that it appears that Nintendo has finally got its Wii production problems sorted out, the console will continue to sell well, in addition to its well established user base. M&S has sold over 500k units in the UK alone.
the only reason its doing so well is that gaming purists are buying them and burning them!!!
YOU CAN'T PUT MARIO AND SONIC ON THE SAME BLOODY GAME!
THEY DON'T EVEN LIVE IN THE SAME UNIVERSE!
HOW CAN A FAT PLUMMER ON MAGIC MUSHROOMS BEAT A HEDGHOG ON SPEED!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH
THATS IT I'M TAKING MY SLEDGE HAMMER ON A SHOPPING TRIP!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:23 pm

mohicankid wrote:
Mantas wrote:It might not be the ideal game for more serious gamers, but I predict Mario and Sonic at the Olympics could top it come year end. It's been number 1 in the charts for weeks on end and when sales started to dip, out came the DS version. Also bare in mind that over the Christmas period and into January, M&S was sold out due to Nintendo not being able to produce enough copies. Then there is the fact that this is an official licensed Beijing Olympics product so come August there is likely to be another surge of sales. Although its not an established IP, it has 2 of the most recognised characters on the planet. Now that it appears that Nintendo has finally got its Wii production problems sorted out, the console will continue to sell well, in addition to its well established user base. M&S has sold over 500k units in the UK alone.
the only reason its doing so well is that gaming purists are buying them and burning them!!!
ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH
Ermmmmm.....it's not real, man. :wink:

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:36 pm

The two big games for me this year are GTA IV and MGS 4. I'll probably get Killzone 2 and possibly the Star Wars Force Unleashed one, too.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:38 pm

mohicankid wrote:
Perhaps, but Sonic is making an appearance in SSBB along with Zelda and the rest of the clan. Looks like you and your sledgehammer have a busy year ahead. :wink:

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:42 pm

thats ok its a sturdy hammer.....and if i get busted i'll blame it on the influence of super smash bro's or somthing :P
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:19 pm

SirClive wrote: That's a very good point. I am really torn over which one I should go for.
As mentioned the 360 version has exclusive DLC, plus achievements. That's the version I'd go for if I owned both consoles, but I guess you have to take in consideration which pad you prefer to play with too.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:01 am

Well it sounds like the 360 version it is. The only ps3 versions of games I get is if they are specifically to play online or if they offer something extra.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:03 am

mohicankid wrote:
ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH
I'd rather see Mario and Sonic in 10 games together than Yoda and Darth Vader in a Soul Calibur game!

The reason I don't want S&M Olympics (sounds like a sex games compilation ;) ) to be top of the pile is because the game is a big let down on both Wii and DS.

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:46 am

I think PONG will make a comeback and pwn this year.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:37 am

I want Operation Flashpoint 2008 to be good. I also want that Ghost Busters game to be good. Killzone 2 maybe... I imagine Uncharted 2 will be on the shelves by chrimbo, probably so will Resistance fall of man 2, I'll see how I feel when they turns up.

Little Big Planet?

Final Fantasy XIII? That should be pretty big, FFXII was very good indeed - well I thought it was...

As for GTA IV, I gave up with GTA half way through Vice City sooo, and MGS4 and even, (even!) GT5, well, I'm not sure I can bothered with them.

When are we due another Ridge Racer installment?

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:14 pm

The games I would like to see dominate are Alan Wake if it is any good, No More Heroes or any other non-mainstream game. I wouldn't mind seeing GTA IV if the gameplay makes a refreshing change from the rest of the series. MGS4 providing it is not a FMV showcase or GOW2 if the offline campaign has more duration than the 1st.
I read that the best selling game of 2007 was COD4, so I reckon it looks more likely that the best selling for 2008 is the one that will still offer the best online gameplay.