Retro Gaming Behind Bars

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:32 am

revgiblet wrote: :shock:

Please tell me this is a joke.

You know that Hitler also forced sterilisation on people he deemed shouldn't be allowed to breed, don't you?
As I said not everyone will like it...

Hitler had some good ideas (don't missunderstand me here, he also had some very very bad ones.!) he just went about implementing them in complety the wrong way. It didn't help that he was also a mass murdering dictator.

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:36 am

stigodump wrote: Or better yet we could kill off the entire population and start mankind over again with you and your sister (or nearest female relative) so the gene pool doesn't become diluted with imperfect blood.
Now your just being stupid and trying to start a row by suggesting I would sleep with family members..?

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:03 am

What you are suggesting is morally wrong.

If you don't realise that then that is frightening.

And I'm not starting a row. By stating such an extremist view You are starting the row with such a stupid remark.

You say "Everyone must take an intelligence test once they reach 18 if they wish to breed".

Just because someone is intelligent it doesn't necessarily make them good parents and doesn't mean that said child wouldn't turn to crime at some point in their life.

People are fallible and there will always be crime no matter how hard you try to stop it or control peoples god given right to live in a free society and not a fascist one which is what you are suggesting.

comicalgames

Post by comicalgames » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:18 am

My solution to the problem of crime is far easier:

Death. For any crime.

Obviously, stuff like not paying council tax isn't a deathworthy offense, but you want to cut out violent offenders? Just kill them on conviction. No need to spend money keeping them in prison or buying them retro games.

Same with underage pregnancy (how many people have been arrested for breaking that 'law'?). Kill anyone that gets knocked up before they should and damn, you'll see a sharp decrease in violent crime and idiotic kids getting themselves up the duff.

Harsh, you may think, however in my latest degree I'm reading about the causes of crime and the theory that crime is undertaken by reasonable individuals who merely weigh up (consciously or not) the risks and potential gains of a crime, and if the gains outweigh the risk then they commit the crime. All I'm saying is, make that risk a hell of a lot more fatal and it could buck up some people's ideas.

Plus, an all-round killing policy will totally cut out reoffenders. Then we'd save yet more money funding an ineffectual tagging and monitoring system. A mate of mine worked for Securicor on that very system and it's been explained to me in detail just how badly it doesn't work.
Please help raise awareness about Organ Donation in the UK - http://www.livelifethengivelife.co.uk

Add yourself to the register:
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/how_ ... onsent.jsp

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:36 am

stigodump wrote:What you are suggesting is morally wrong.

If you don't realise that then that is frightening.

And I'm not starting a row. By stating such an extremist view You are starting the row with such a stupid remark.

You say "Everyone must take an intelligence test once they reach 18 if they wish to breed".

Just because someone is intelligent it doesn't necessarily make them good parents and doesn't mean that said child wouldn't turn to crime at some point in their life.

People are fallible and there will always be crime no matter how hard you try to stop it or control peoples god given right to live in a free society and not a fascist one which is what you are suggesting.
Ok I understand what you are saying but letting elderly people die on the floor of a dirty hospital while millions of pounds are spent trying to "rehabilitate" junkie scum is morally wrong but it happens every week.

I know what I said is unpracticle and in places very unfair but how else can we sort out the problems we face.
I have a friend who looks after foster children and in 95% of the cases he has to deal with, the parents of these children are unfit to look after themselfs let alone a child, they are to stupid to relise you can't hold a baby in one hand and boil a pan of water with the other..? Trust me when I say some of these children bring you to tears and it's not the childs fault.
For every child that is rescued from these situations another 10 are left in front of the TV allday or locked in their bedrooms to suffer. Some do make a good life for themselfs but most end up in trouble and in prison because they have never been taught right from wrong, never been shown any love or how to deal with a problem without lashing out in anger.

These are the people that need to be stoped from staying at home and breeding because another child means a bigger free house and more benifits..
The world we live in is already a frightening place and getting worse everyday.

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:26 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
revgiblet wrote: :shock:

Please tell me this is a joke.

You know that Hitler also forced sterilisation on people he deemed shouldn't be allowed to breed, don't you?
As I said not everyone will like it...

Hitler had some good ideas (don't missunderstand me here, he also had some very very bad ones.!) he just went about implementing them in complety the wrong way. It didn't help that he was also a mass murdering dictator.
Which ones exactly? I'm curious.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

malignantpoodle

Re:

Post by malignantpoodle » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Nice to see they're being punished then. Stuff like this gets my goat. Prison is supposed to be a horrible place you never want to go back to, not somewhere warm and dry with three meals a day where you play videogames. Where exactly is the deterrent in this?
While I agree with you on this statement, I do want to give a little insight about prisons in the US.

Aside from federal facilities reserved for only select crimes (i.e. treason, money laundering, etc.), prisons are run by state governments. As a result, there is a wide variety of prison standards across the US depending upon which state you were to look at. There are 50 states of course, each having their own penal institutions.

This gaming in Oregon prisons is the exception not the rule. You may be surprised to know that prisons in the US are among some of the most violent, dangerous, and have some of the most horrible living conditions of any in the world. It's hard to say that generally they are THE worst, but they're bad.

Texas is a good example. There was a federal judge that was touring some Texas prisons. He has written books on various departments of criminal justice based around the world. He said that the conditions in Texas prisons were some of the worst he had ever seen, on par with a substandard that he had only previously been witness to in Nigeria and Congo.

The state of Georgia only recently retracted some of its disciplinary measures that were based on middle aged torture. They even had stretching racks up until the 1960s.

I talked to the family of one individual that was locked up for burglary. He had scratched a prison guard in a scuffle and they locked him up in complete solitary confinement for 9 years. He eventually got released, but he's a vegetable now.

In many states some prisoners starve to death or die of simple illnesses like the flu or infections from cuts or blistered feet from being worked almost to death breaking rocks or farming which can involve carrying heavy sacks from sun up to sun down.

Inmate violence is through the roof, more rapes, murders, riots, and sex slavery happen in US prisons than anywhere else on Earth.

The average prison guard makes $9 US an hour (about 5 GBP) so this leads to corruption and lack of integrity within the prison guard ranks.

I agree that prisoners should be made to suffer for crimes, but I also feel that much reform is needed as most of the prisons here are still in the dark ages.

In any case, whether you agree with these types of punishment or not, the point is that that article does not represent the common practice of prisons here.

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:49 pm

malignantpoodle wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Nice to see they're being punished then. Stuff like this gets my goat. Prison is supposed to be a horrible place you never want to go back to, not somewhere warm and dry with three meals a day where you play videogames. Where exactly is the deterrent in this?
While I agree with you on this statement, I do want to give a little insight about prisons in the US.

Aside from federal facilities reserved for only select crimes (i.e. treason, money laundering, etc.), prisons are run by state governments. As a result, there is a wide variety of prison standards across the US depending upon which state you were to look at. There are 50 states of course, each having their own penal institutions.

This gaming in Oregon prisons is the exception not the rule. You may be surprised to know that prisons in the US are among some of the most violent, dangerous, and have some of the most horrible living conditions of any in the world. It's hard to say that generally they are THE worst, but they're bad.

Texas is a good example. There was a federal judge that was touring some Texas prisons. He has written books on various departments of criminal justice based around the world. He said that the conditions in Texas prisons were some of the worst he had ever seen, on par with a substandard that he had only previously been witness to in Nigeria and Congo.

The state of Georgia only recently retracted some of its disciplinary measures that were based on middle aged torture. They even had stretching racks up until the 1960s.

I talked to the family of one individual that was locked up for burglary. He had scratched a prison guard in a scuffle and they locked him up in complete solitary confinement for 9 years. He eventually got released, but he's a vegetable now.

In many states some prisoners starve to death or die of simple illnesses like the flu or infections from cuts or blistered feet from being worked almost to death breaking rocks or farming which can involve carrying heavy sacks from sun up to sun down.

Inmate violence is through the roof, more rapes, murders, riots, and sex slavery happen in US prisons than anywhere else on Earth.

The average prison guard makes $9 US an hour (about 5 GBP) so this leads to corruption and lack of integrity within the prison guard ranks.

I agree that prisoners should be made to suffer for crimes, but I also feel that much reform is needed as most of the prisons here are still in the dark ages.

In any case, whether you agree with these types of punishment or not, the point is that that article does not represent the common practice of prisons here.
Excellent stuff. Now thats what I expect from a prison service, not the namby pamby UK ones.

I'll bet there are far lower percentage incidences of petty crime in the US than here as a result and much less reoffenders. There'll always be hardcore criminals and serious offenders, but its the petty crime thats destroying society here.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
malignantpoodle wrote:

Excellent stuff. Now thats what I expect from a prison service, not the namby pamby UK ones.

I'll bet there are far lower percentage incidences of petty crime in the US than here as a result and much less reoffenders. There'll always be hardcore criminals and serious offenders, but its the petty crime thats destroying society here.

As far as crime is concerned,I'd far rather live in the UK than the US.
I'm not backing this up with figures or statistics,that's just the way I see
things,via tv and newspapers

Perhaps they had the right idea with Escape From New York?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 pm

Political debates on a retro gaming forum. Shouldn't we be discussing Maggie Thatcher or someone from a retro era as opposed to modern political issues? :wink: :P

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:19 pm

Robbo wrote:Political debates on a retro gaming forum. Shouldn't we be discussing Maggie Thatcher or someone from a retro era as opposed to modern political issues? :wink: :P
Well I am advocating a retro prison service. Bring back the old ball & chains, let 'em rot in their own filth :twisted:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Re:

Post by koopa42 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:37 pm

revgiblet wrote:
Which ones exactly? I'm curious.[/quote]

well not that bloody silly moustache thats for sure!

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:22 pm

koopa42 wrote:
revgiblet wrote:
Which ones exactly? I'm curious.
well not that bloody silly moustache thats for sure![/quote]

He made a good boss in Wolfenstein I believe!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

planetmatt

Re:

Post by planetmatt » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:19 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:There are few simple things that could be done to sort out crime in this country but the do-gooding namby pambys would never let them happen.

1: If you dont stay on for higher education or have a job when you leave school you go into the armed forces. No if's or buts.!

2: Everyone is sterilized at birth and must take an intelligence test once they reach 18 if they wish to breed. Only if they pass the test is the process reversed.

In two generations we would have a country of highly skilled, intelligent and disciplined civilians instead of lazy, thefting scumbags.

Harsh..? Maybe but the country is already over populated with nutters and freeloaders. If you have a tumour you cut it out, being nice to it won't make it go away...

I know my ideas wont be to everyones liking, it's just a thought....
Dude, you would love Singapore. Citizens there have to by law go on dates as the government has decided that the birth rate is too low (after previously launching a public campaign to lower it) Its a complete nanny state and if what you suggest ever happens, it will happen there first. They also have a $500 fine for not flushing public toilets and chewing gum is a controlled substance.

big1aust

Post by big1aust » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:40 pm

I had to have a little chuckle when I read that news on the BBC website this morning that US prison inmates can buy a gaming machine. The chuckle was a little preverse because I find it quite sad that the british public has been misled so much over the years.

Gaming equipment was allowed in british prisons in the early 1990s and is still allowed now.

In the early 90s it was Game Boys which a prisoner had to have sent in by his family. In the mid-90s prisons aquired their own gaming equipment for prisoners to play on rota basis on their free associaition periods.

Now prisoners are allowed game Boys , PS1s and Game Cubes in the majority of prisons. The only bar on having a gaming console is that it mustn't have internet connectivity possibilities. But they still allow Game Cubes which DO have interent connection possibilities but it is regarded as too difficult to "make" a connection without the appropriate hardware.

These systems can all be bought by prisoners by money that has been sent in to them. "Argos" is the usual retailer.

It's a sad sad world.

Cheers
big1aust