Retro Gaming Behind Bars

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bolda

Retro Gaming Behind Bars

Post by bolda » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:11 am

BBC News article

Sounds like easy time! :D

At least they didn't give them a fps!

Andy
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:40 am

I suppose getting The Great Escape as a game was asking too much...

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:39 pm

Morkin wrote:I suppose getting The Great Escape as a game was asking too much...

Or Jailbreak
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:33 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Morkin wrote:I suppose getting The Great Escape as a game was asking too much...

Or Jailbreak
That would have been extra punishment, especially the C64 version!!

(having not played any versions except the arcade and C64, the others may be equally bad)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:37 pm

Nice to see they're being punished then. Stuff like this gets my goat. Prison is supposed to be a horrible place you never want to go back to, not somewhere warm and dry with three meals a day where you play videogames. Where exactly is the deterrent in this?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:57 pm

Where exactly is the deterrent in this?
Well, there's the bum rape, that's gotta suck...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:02 pm

Perhaps they should be made to play Rise of the Robots?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:10 pm

lol, only the long term inmates though... Imagine being sent down for two weeks because of unpaid council tax and having to play that.. You would top yourself :)

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:14 pm

Smurph wrote:
Where exactly is the deterrent in this?
Well, there's the bum rape, that's gotta suck...
See, now that's what I'm talking about. Make that mandatory in all prisons and you'd soon see a drop in reoffenders.

No need for those students to get messed up with drug tests either - that's something usful prisoners could be doing. They're disposable after all.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Nice to see they're being punished then. Stuff like this gets my goat. Prison is supposed to be a horrible place you never want to go back to, not somewhere warm and dry with three meals a day where you play videogames. Where exactly is the deterrent in this?
Don't want this to become a political debate, but you have 2 sides...

1. Prison is rehabilitation. In which case this type of thing in prison is good.
2. Prison is punishment. Which makes it bad.

So I suppose it depends on the crime and your views on the justice system.

But $300 for a crappy tv game is a crime in itself!!!

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:40 am

SirClive wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Nice to see they're being punished then. Stuff like this gets my goat. Prison is supposed to be a horrible place you never want to go back to, not somewhere warm and dry with three meals a day where you play videogames. Where exactly is the deterrent in this?
Don't want this to become a political debate, but you have 2 sides...

1. Prison is rehabilitation. In which case this type of thing in prison is good.
2. Prison is punishment. Which makes it bad.

So I suppose it depends on the crime and your views on the justice system.

But $300 for a crappy tv game is a crime in itself!!!
Prison can fulfil both roles if its bad enough. Make it really bad and its obviously punishment to be in there, but it also becomes aversion therapy - inmates will really make an effort not to go back there. At present, prison holds no fear as many prisoners are actually better off inside than out.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:05 am

If you want to see bad prison conditions,then look back at Dickensian Britain.This didn't stop prisons being full then.
Look back 50 years ago when the death penalty was in force-this didn't stop people commiting capital crimes

The idea of imprisonment is not only to keep criminals off the street,but
(unless you're going to keep them locked up forever) you also need to make sure that when they come out,they don't reoffend

If these methods work,then whether people agree or not,the ends justify the means
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:53 am

There are few simple things that could be done to sort out crime in this country but the do-gooding namby pambys would never let them happen.

1: If you dont stay on for higher education or have a job when you leave school you go into the armed forces. No if's or buts.!

2: Everyone is sterilized at birth and must take an intelligence test once they reach 18 if they wish to breed. Only if they pass the test is the process reversed.

In two generations we would have a country of highly skilled, intelligent and disciplined civilians instead of lazy, thefting scumbags.

Harsh..? Maybe but the country is already over populated with nutters and freeloaders. If you have a tumour you cut it out, being nice to it won't make it go away...

I know my ideas wont be to everyones liking, it's just a thought....

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:07 am

Opa-Opa wrote:There are few simple things that could be done to sort out crime in this country but the do-gooding namby pambys would never let them happen.

1: If you dont stay on for higher education or have a job when you leave school you go into the armed forces. No if's or buts.!

2: Everyone is sterilized at birth and must take an intelligence test once they reach 18 if they wish to breed. Only if they pass the test is the process reversed.

In two generations we would have a country of highly skilled, intelligent and disciplined civilians instead of lazy, thefting scumbags.

Harsh..? Maybe but the country is already over populated with nutters and freeloaders. If you have a tumour you cut it out, being nice to it won't make it go away...

:shock:

Please tell me this is a joke.

You know that Hitler also forced sterilisation on people he deemed shouldn't be allowed to breed, don't you?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

stigodump

Re:

Post by stigodump » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:30 am

Opa-Opa wrote:There are few simple things that could be done to sort out crime in this country but the do-gooding namby pambys would never let them happen.

Or better yet we could kill off the entire population and start mankind over again with you and your sister (or nearest female relative) so the gene pool doesn't become diluted with imperfect blood.