Alex Kidd returns!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Alex Kidd returns!!!

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:12 pm

Not content with masquerading as Stuart in a few issue of the mag, Alex Kidd is now a playable character in Sega Super Star Tennis.

Maybe this means he could get his own game again...

rupert

Post by rupert » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:59 pm

your a few weeks late with this news :wink:

but anyway, I hope this is to test water to see how well he is received.. then maybe we can see a proper comback :)

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:20 pm

Don't get me wrong, the games were fun and all (at least some of them were...) - but Alex Kidd has got to be one of the most mong videogame characters ever!

Here's one person who hopes he never comes back!

rupert

Post by rupert » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:30 pm

Vir_Lucis wrote:Don't get me wrong, the games were fun and all (at least some of them were...) - but Alex Kidd has got to be one of the most mong videogame characters ever!

Here's one person who hopes he never comes back!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

but just imagine it...

Knight Lore

Post by Knight Lore » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:20 pm

I wish I could contribute in a positive and meaningful way to this thread - but I find Alex Kidd one of the most banal, uninteresting characters ever created in video game history.

And yes, I am including the bat from Pong in that assessment. :)

playgeneration

Post by playgeneration » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:49 pm

Alex Kidd is a great character, because he doesn't have a overly complicated character. That means he could be plonked into any style of gameplay without looking daft. In Miracle World alone he could punch through rocks, swim, ride a motorbike, a speedboat, a helicopter, levitate etc.
With Sonic Sega have a really limited character, he runs fast so putting him in any vehicle is stupid, his spin attack makes any kind of weapons pointless. Theres not really much that can be done with Sonic, which shows in the ton of lacklustre games he has been in of late. Instead of trying to shoehorn Sonic into game genres and styles he doesn't suit Sega could use Alex Kidd as a front man for these games as they used to, and put Sonic in the quality platform games he deserves to be in - and not rush them out.

segagaga

Pug nosed monkey boy

Post by segagaga » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:52 pm

No way alex kidd is a marvel. I cant think of any overwhelming evidence to support my case, i guess its just based on nostalgia. Just Look at his little pug nosed, monkey boy hair cut, big eared, chubby face........err, hes the man. Seriously i hope sega dose some more with alex kidd. Im so glad hes in superstars (same with gillius thunderhead, all i want now is ryo hazuki) Anyone ever seen alex kidd in segagaga, he works at a video game store, after sonic ousted him from the top spot. Fried Gold

I just ordered a Japanese copy (ace box art) of enchanted castle for the megadrive.

Ps: i now need a jap mega drive to play it on. Ive heard there’s a model of the mk1 that’s region free. Can anyone shed some light on hw to spot one. Anyway thanks, and long live the kidd.

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:27 pm

playgeneration wrote:Alex Kidd is a great character, because he doesn't have a overly complicated character. That means he could be plonked into any style of gameplay without looking daft. In Miracle World alone he could punch through rocks, swim, ride a motorbike, a speedboat, a helicopter, levitate etc.
Ok...so he's just a guy....the ugliest, most retarded looking 'kid' that has ever graced our videogames ;) He looks daft doing ANYTHING :P You can make the character you described above without turning them into a complete mong - point in case...Wonder Boy!

R1ze of teh r0botz

Post by R1ze of teh r0botz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:12 pm

Alex the kid is be my favrite games probly all time. i do like miracal worlds actullly, i wold say thats is the bestt of the lots.

i wold love to se him comes back for anew games, i would by it for my nintndo wi and hopfuly it wold be useful for the nuncucks.
RoTR is undrated

NESHero

Post by NESHero » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:21 am

The only one I ever enjoyed was Lost Stars, but it seems to me the game was Ill'received,
"640k ought to be enough for anybody."
- Bill Gates, Microsoft Corporation (1981)

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:52 am

Alex Kidd is a legend!

Really excited about this news! my first ever game was Alex Kidd in Miracle World.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:21 am

I read this with a fair amount of trepidation. Alex Kidd has starred in exactly one decent game (criminally) which stirs a lot of nostalgia in both hardcore and casual gamers. That alone is not a good enough reason to resurrect him.

Yes Miracle World was fantastic but I believe Alex should be left in peace.
真・豪鬼

bhyperp

Post by bhyperp » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:37 am

Alex does no more than Mario on NES ....the only time i saw light in Mario`s eyes was in Mario Kart.......on a machine capable of doing that.

I reckon it is great if the bring a new Alex Kidd side scrolling game.....everything is going 3D these days.....I love side scrolling games!!!
Holy Crap mums don`t know the value of their kids VIDEO SYSTEMS!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:42 am

I want to see the Definitive Alex Kidd from RevStu...

...(it was a joke)

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:59 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:I read this with a fair amount of trepidation. Alex Kidd has starred in exactly one decent game (criminally) which stirs a lot of nostalgia in both hardcore and casual gamers. That alone is not a good enough reason to resurrect him.

Yes Miracle World was fantastic but I believe Alex should be left in peace.

TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.