Gaming Prowess

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mickey T

Gaming Prowess

Post by Mickey T » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:15 pm

Whats the most amazing thing you have done yourself or seen soemone else achieve in a video game?
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins

James Bond

Post by James Bond » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:28 pm

My dad completed Alex Kid in Miracle World on the Master System when I was a kid, he was pretty damn good at it.
My HD DVD/Blu Ray Collection:

http://romeos.dvdaf.com/owned

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:08 pm

I wasn't great as such but I used to be able to draw a decent crowd while playing Crystal Castles or Black Tiger.

Oh, and I clocked* Missile Command & Asteroids on the Atari VCS.

clocked* I mean I reset the score to zero.
Is this a regional term or do others use it too?
What term would everyone else use?

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:58 pm

I always used the word clocked.

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:16 pm

i was banned from playing Pac-Mania when younger by my friends...we used to have a one-life then swap rule for the games we would play. Problem being, that jump ability meant i could play through pretty much the whole thing on one life ;)

Oh, and i must be the only one not too embarrassed to admit this:

But i KICK F'ING ASS on Britney's Dance Beat for PS2...it's absolutely pointless playing it two players for me. Funny though that i really don't like Guitar Hero?!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:46 pm

stvd wrote:clocked* I mean I reset the score to zero.
Is this a regional term or do others use it too?
What term would everyone else use?
Its an accepted generic term, though it can apply to either scoreboard or levels where either is finite, so its normal to classify it - "I clocked the score" for example.

I used to do both on Galaxy Twinvader - clocking the score several times was a by product of clocking its 200 levels.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:04 pm

My cousin was amazing at Nemesis, he'd hang around the local arcade and take over the last life of anyone's game at any point and complete the thing from there; he would also "showboat" quite a bit, completing the entire game with five speed ups or going twice around on a really good day. The cab in that local arcade had a slightly knackered joystick too, if pushed hard enough it could stick in the up position and what he would do to get a response out of an audience was to fly under the diamond of rock at the end of level 1, then nudge the stick up and take both hands away from the controls as the Vic Viper cruised up the screen and laid it's multiples out ready for the volcanoes, just reaching back to tap the stick out of "lock" when the ship was half embedded in the upper landscape. i got that one sussed too, it looked pretty cool if you did it right. =-)

R1ze of teh r0botz

Post by R1ze of teh r0botz » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:21 pm

brek my super nes joypad at my wall, i was amazed my frend did thats, hes not my frend now i can asurw you LOLL
RoTR is undrated

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Salamander 6 times 'clocked' on one credit, so much so that your bleeding power ups start shooting you so you can't even pick them up!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:36 am

Managing to complete the original Mega Man using just the default buster weapon. No easy ride as 2 bosses can kill you in 3 hits and Fireman's attacks are close to impossible to dodge!

As for other people, my mum completed the Gamegear version of Robotniks mean bean machine when it first came out, something which I still haven't managed to do some 15 years later.
Last edited by ShadowMan on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:31 am

The day I completed "Ikari Warriors" on the CPC. I'd been playing it since it's release on and off, and only last year did I really sit down for a day and concentrate on trying to complete it... Was it worth the wait? No, just said "Well done, now continue the onslaught" or words of that effect, but I did feel good, if a little cheated by it's non-ending!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:23 am

I used to be able to complete Street Fighter II on the SNES with every character on the most difficult setting without using continues. Damned if I'd be able to do it now though!
真・豪鬼

JMK853

hah

Post by JMK853 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:32 am

I played space invaders so good one time, that they surrendered and went home.
The past is the future