Arcade Game Urban Myths/Cheats/Bugs etc.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:52 am

I was one of the muppets who believed that urban myth about Jet Set Willy.

Go to the edge of the yacht and wait something like 8 hours or 12 hours and you get to an island or something like that.

Kept my old speccy on all night, the next morning it was red raw (The Speccy !) and boiling hot, no island or anything. Just an urban myth !!

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:01 am

Dragons Lair had an infinite lives cheat in it, I remember you had to have a two player game and something to do with the route you went through the rapids.

All the Mr Do! games had Diamands in them. There was no way to make them appear, despite the make a rose and drop so many apples rumours etc. The cabinets had a frequency switch that operators could set, in some places it was pretty common, but it had much more to do with the vendors settings than any onscreen shenanigans.

SF2 has a bug/cheat that you can all try, when fighting Zangief as Ryu go to left of screen, jump backwards and medium kick and Zangief cant touch you.

Kanes feet in the Staurn version of virtua fighter were on backwards in the intro, which was quite funny.
Just where is Mickey T?

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:23 am

No mention of Street Fighter's myhtical Sheng Long? Go the entire game without taking a hit then defeat Bison in round 4 or something stupid like that. It started out as an Apriol Fool's in EGM. Not even Koops could do that... :roll:

koopa42

Re:

Post by koopa42 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:44 pm

koopa42 wrote:numerous guile/zangief lock ups on the street fighter games

and of course EGM's infamous 'you can fight sheng long' on SFII - in an april edition of the magazine :roll:
Mike yo' foo' - FACT :wink:

space_ace

Post by space_ace » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:50 pm

Funny how you mention Polybius - I hadn't looked up anything on the Internet about it for quite some time and I saw that Wikipedia seems to have sort of explanation towards the history of the game so it may not be a whole load of bully after all.

Dave

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:58 pm

space_ace wrote:Funny how you mention Polybius - I hadn't looked up anything on the Internet about it for quite some time and I saw that Wikipedia seems to have sort of explanation towards the history of the game so it may not be a whole load of bully after all.
To date, the only screenshot made available doesn't match any of the descriptions since they all seem to be vector-based and there's a distinct lack of anything to validate the story by; the anti-gaming activist isn't named (you'd think he really would want to be if he's so anti-gaming) and no other players have stepped forward, in fact the only people claiming any kind of exposure either have ROMs they won't release or it's that Geocities site which claims to be by one of the Sega CD team that states they used parts of Polybius for the firmware - again, no names.

Me, i'm inclined to believe it's all bollocks but fascinating bollocks all the same and one of the true urban myths of gaming. =-)

space_ace

Post by space_ace » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:08 am

True - I agree but the description and theory recently posted on coin-op.org seems to be the most intelligent and plausible one i've heard so far, even though it could be still be a load of old cack.

It also has an e-mail address for one of the supposed programmers so it may be worth finding out whether it's genuine or just a fourteen year old truant from the Netherlands.

Dave D

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:13 am

On TMNT: Turtles in Time on the SNES if you push up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B on the title screen you can play as one of the bosses.

I don't know WHO came up with this one, but they must have had a fun time laughing at all the magazines around the world that printed that cheat. Both UK & AU Nintendo Magazine System, EGM, Super Play, Hyper, & many other magazines printed that one.

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:44 am

Dizrythmia wrote:On TMNT: Turtles in Time on the SNES if you push up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B on the title screen you can play as one of the bosses.

I don't know WHO came up with this one, but they must have had a fun time laughing at all the magazines around the world that printed that cheat. Both UK & AU Nintendo Magazine System, EGM, Super Play, Hyper, & many other magazines printed that one.
Isn't that code actually used in about 90% of Konami games though?

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:14 am

It is, but not that game for that reason.

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:10 am

Not retro but just after GTA:SA came out, the gamefaqs board was awash with rumours that a Bigfoot lurked somewhere up on the Panopticon. Loads of people claimed to have seen it, some even posted a shopped picture and an 'online hunt diary': "Day 32, My PS2 is getting pretty hot and still no sign of the Bigfoot" lmao. It ran and ran and was obviously BS.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:38 am

Here's a weird one - Panzer Dragoon Saga 1 has the full intro to Panzer Dragoon Zwei on the disc.
I was messing with the Panzer series one day, and just swapping the games about when Pazner Zwei came on. I watched the whole intro cos it's great, then the game came on and it was Panzer 1! You can get it to do it somehow, I worked it out but I can't quite remember.

So why (and how) did that come about?

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:15 am

no idea, but there was only six months between one and two, so two was probably finished by the time one hit the shelves.
Just where is Mickey T?

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:01 am

Come on, who tried to get that nude cheat to work on Tomb Raider?

For the record, I didn't try it. :wink:

beesty

Post by beesty » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:48 pm

On Donkey Kong in the arcade,if you went up the first ladder and took a few steps right you can jump off the edge to level 3 I think.
It may take a few goes but it does work as we used to do it.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest