Arcade Game Urban Myths/Cheats/Bugs etc.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

space_ace

Arcade Game Urban Myths/Cheats/Bugs etc.

Post by space_ace » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:22 pm

I once found a Moon Cresta with 86 credits in it in Margate. I was so pissed off with the game by the end of it, I taped over my pirated Spectrum copy with a Nik Kershaw song.

Bomb Jack is the only video game ever made where you could gain an extra credit by collecting a special symbol. It used to be a bit of an Urban Myth in the video game room at the Working Men's club where I spent many hours as a boy while my parents got drunk on Double Diamond but then we all witnessed it at once. The extra credit which appeared exactly as if a tenpence had been placed in the slot seemed to be set at a slightly more unforgiving skill level though but what the hay.

Also, that Atari Game, Guardians Of The Hood which is very underated, possibly because in many ways, it was more or less a scrolling Pitifighter, had an option where you could select to retake the "Training" part of the game which was a one-on-one sequence and pretty good fun - unless you died which was incredibly unlikely unless you had the joystick skills of an ageing lepper, you could carry on forever for free. Probably why the game was and is bloody hard to come by.

Slap fight was another where if you crashed your first spaceship without doing anything, you'd start the next level with a full compliment of weapons. This would be impress people for a limited amount of time until they realised that the game was the shits.

Dave
Last edited by space_ace on Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jammajup

Re: Arcade Game Urban Myths/Cheats/Bugs etc.

Post by jammajup » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:34 pm

space_ace wrote:IBomb Jack is the only video game ever made where you could gain an extra credit by collecting a special symbol.

Dave
Hi
If my memory serves me correctly you can also collect a diamond in Mr DO! for a free credit.Its rare but there is apparently a way of bashing the letter monsters to make it appear or something like that. :wink:

An interesting place for all that is "Rogers"
http://rcatt.classicgaming.gamespy.com/
Jj
My small retro collection:
http://www.jammajup.co.uk/JJOTHER.html

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:45 pm

On Atari's Area 51 (arcade) you can play as an alien by shooting the humans at the start..

space_ace

Post by space_ace » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:53 pm

If I hadn't seen your web page Mr Jammajup, I would have doubted your opinion on Mr Do! but I can't fault the insider knowledge that you have spread liberally over your website....!

Loved Vanguard, particulary the Flash Gordon musical samples!

Nice Avatar as well. I got outbid for a Karate Champ Table on Ebay not so long ago with the Double Joysticks. Never seen one before in me life.

Dave

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:53 pm

The two biggest loads of bullcrap that i was told was, in Afterburner II if you crashed into the outrun car you could drive it. And on the last level of Double Dragon in 2 player mode, one player could throw the other onto the balcony and grab the boss mans gun. Kids used to talk crap at school :lol: .

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:50 pm

numerous guile/zangief lock ups on the street fighter games

and of course EGM's infamous 'you can fight sheng long' on SFII - in an april edition of the magazine :roll:

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:14 pm

Koop's can you do the Guile lockup. I have seen it done once and that was on a hacked board.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:17 pm

Have tried many times, never done it - only seen it done once at a pikey fair arcade by some smelly little pikey censored, cost me 7 credit 'cos you have to reset the machine GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:18 pm

I think i have the combo for it in a mag some ware.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:32 pm

How about Polybius...? =-)

revgiblet

Re:

Post by revgiblet » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:24 am

TMR wrote:How about Polybius...? =-)
Now that's a great urban legend. Track it down...IF YOU DARE!
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

space_ace

Post by space_ace » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:57 am

Completely forgot about The Last Starfighter. Although not quite on a par with the underground ramblings of Polybius, it certainly stirred up a fair bit of controversy as to whether it actually ever went into production.

Klov.com does a great job in putting a lot of the rumours to sleep but it's a great shame the actual details are not avaliable to the public.

Dave

Swainy

Re:

Post by Swainy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:59 am

And on the last level of Double Dragon in 2 player mode, one player could throw the other onto the balcony and grab the boss mans gun. Kids used to talk crap at school :lol: .
Actually this could be done, but you couldn't get the gun. You could even knock the boss off the balcony before he had picked up his gun, but it would still appear in his hands once he had got back on his feet.

Oh, and it wasn't the other player who could throw you up, only Abobo (the big guys who smash through walls) who could get you up there.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:20 am

Well for cheats, I remember the ‘hidden level’ in r-type. Don’t know if that counts!!
Can’t remember any bugs off hand, but for ‘load of crap’ how about the classics ‘finding the trailer’ on jet man, or ‘catching the boat’ on Jet set Willie.

Oh, one thing I only saw (heard) once was a voice say ‘Oh no, you’ve killed him!’ on Hard Core 4x4 for the PS1. My wife did this the very first time she played this game, my brother and myself then wasted weeks trying to get it to do this again to no avail!
My wife has a ‘special talent’ for racing games ;)

malignantpoodle

Post by malignantpoodle » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:28 am

This is going to sound hard to believe but I swear it's true I saw it with my own eyes;

In the original Soul Edge (Soul Blade in the US) arcade game, there was a particular charcter that could be played and upon defeating a certain enemy a combination could be entered and the winner would be shagging the loser, although clothes remained on and it lasted for maybe 3 seconds max.

I tried to find information on this and couldn't find any hint of it anywhere, but I did see it.