RG Forum's Retro Game Club - Week 4 - Cybernator (SNES)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:46 pm

random_dave wrote:Oh, and another thing, isn't there a remake on PS2? Does anyone know what that's like?
http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platf ... uitsValken
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:11 pm

Sweet choice, I've been away from this thread for a while, but I'm definitely going to look into this one! :)
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol:

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:23 pm

tekaotaku wrote:
random_dave wrote:Oh, and another thing, isn't there a remake on PS2? Does anyone know what that's like?
http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platf ... uitsValken
Oh dear, i'll not hunt that one down then

davyK

Post by davyK » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Got this one back in the day - still have it.

I remember it distinctly becuase it was the 1st SNES game I had that used all the buttons on that fancy new controller......

I only ever got as far as the snowy forest level (5 or 6? can't remember).

Got my SNES shipped and the PAL version runs at 60Hz with no glitches so far.

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:09 am

Had a flick through thr manual on the bog this morning, it really makes you wish that the industry would stop taking itself too seriously these days and instead go back to calling weapons 'Knucklizer' and 'Super Stompers' and having shields called 'Ionized Indestructoid Shield'

Genius

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:15 am

Apparently we got a chopped version here in the west. Assault Suit Valken has certain differences with Cybernator. Thanks to emulation we can now play the Japanese version translated to English. Great!

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:52 am

Managed to get through the first level, but level 2 was quite disappointing... Normally, I like shooters, but in this case, I didn't... Maybe it's just me, but I think it's very confusing, I can't really see where are the enemies, and I can shoot at them all I want, they never go away!...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:57 am

I don't really like it. Clunky, slow and not much fun..

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:58 pm

My lunchtime play saw me get killed by the level 2 boss, didn't get to have a good crack at it as I was letting my workmate experience it.

The first scrolling shmup bit on level 2 is a bit pointless, but the rest of level 2 is ok, as long as you remember that L locks your firing direction allowing you to move and shoot.

It also seems to be good to stay near the bottom in this section as you can then occasionally land on a rock and use you shield, blast some enemies, move to the next asteroid and repeat.

The only thing that was nagging for me are the bosses, which consist of a main boss, and extra parts of him that get in the way. Unfortunately shooting the extra parts is fruitless, as they respawn, but if you don't shoot them it's tricky staying alive.
In the case of the first boss this can make it a little tricky to kill the boss in time, without losing too much health from the two cannons

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Hi random_dave, you probably know this but in the second mission it pays to venture up to the top levels where a new weapon is waiting for you, it's a missile launcher and I use it to defeat the boss at the end. I would imagine him being pretty tough if I was just using the vulcan at that early level before it's powered up some.

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:42 am

C=Style wrote:Hi random_dave, you probably know this but in the second mission it pays to venture up to the top levels where a new weapon is waiting for you, it's a missile launcher and I use it to defeat the boss at the end. I would imagine him being pretty tough if I was just using the vulcan at that early level before it's powered up some.
One word, DOH!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:13 pm

I know its hard to find time and to drag yourself away from other great games you are currently playing but I think this one is worth it, nice just to play it for 20 mins here and there. Any more opinions on this?

I have to say, in order to get the napalm gun you not only have to go through the whole first stage till you reach the boss without shooting, but you must also NOT shoot his gun turret arms, just his main body. You get the Napalm as soon as you start the 2nd level.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:04 pm

I'll have to try again to get the bonus weapon, because otherwise, I'm still stuck on level 2! :roll:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

merman

Post by merman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:07 pm

Played this on my SNES yesterday, also got stuck on level 2...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:58 am

Better use the save function of an emulator methinks. How the hell did I finish this game back then? I'm growing soft.