RG Forum's Retro Game Club - Week 4 - Cybernator (SNES)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

C=Style

RG Forum's Retro Game Club - Week 4 - Cybernator (SNES)

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:23 pm

Well it's that time again for the 4th game of the Retro Game Club and thanks to the nomination by Paulmlev I get to choose next. The game of choice being Konami's fantastic Cybernator or the infinitely superior Japanese original title of Assault Suits Valken (sounds harder ). :D

The reason I chose this game is because I don't really hear it mentioned too much yet it is one of my favourite SNES platform shooter style games. The game is nicely broken up between platform shooting sections (the bulk gameplay) and standard horizontal shooter sections. The thing that makes the game so great in my view are the controls, very intuitive and allow you to take full control over your mecha, this game is jam packed with explosive gameplay and it's very addictive too!

I regard this game as a true underdog of the SNES library, if you've played it before then now is a great chance to get stuck back into it and complete it again, if you haven't however then I reckon you're in for a real treat.

Obviously the game is best played on original hardware however it emulates fine in Zsnes (preferable) or Snes9X. There are a couple of different versions of ROM out there the main differences being the Japanese original had nice little avatar pictures for each character that spoke during the game, for some strange reason these were removed from the Western versions. There is however a hacked version of the NA/EU game that uses these nice little pictures along with English dialoue. I would post the ROM here but I assume it's against the rules. Very easy to find if you don't have it already though...

Anyway, hope you fellas who are new to this game enjoy it and I look forward to your comments.

Matt

Games discussed...

23/01/08 to 05/02/08 Trojan (Arcade) by Capcom - Chosen by Jimbo-too
05/02/08 to 18/02/08 Dragonwing (VIC20) by Aleksi Eeben - Chosen by SirClive
19/02/08 to 04/03/08 Siren City (C-64) by Interceptor - Chosen by Paulmlev
05/03/08 to 18/03/08 Cybernator (SNES) by Konami - Chosen by C=Style

Club rules are available here... http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7848

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:23 am

Man, great choice. Cybernator is one of those fantastic games that never seems to get as much recognition as it deserves. This is the perfect excuse for me to give it a proper play through.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Type2XS

Post by Type2XS » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:24 am

Yep, Cybernator was a really great choice. The main reason for the changes in the western version was Nintendo's way of censorship. Not only the little avatars were removed. Some "cutscenes" also got out and the storyline was also changed. Never got this version into my hands, so I don't know, which exact changes there were.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:29 am

Hasn't this been released on the VC?
Splink!

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:30 am

Yup. No reason not to play it then ;)

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:45 am

Good pick! Another game I do not know (and since it's on the VC, it doesn't require any emulator) and I'm looking forward to try it! :wink:

I'll probably download it this afternoon and give it a try. I've stored many Wii points lately, but there's been no good release lately so here is my chance to spend some of them points! :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:35 am

I was looking for an excuse to give it a try, I guess this is it then.
Splink!

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:36 am

I really like this game, love the way the mech 'handles' and first boss is cool, the only problem I've had previously is that level 2 is pretty hard and I always end up not sticking at it long enough to get past, and just start playing something else.

i think I'll take it into work though and give it another bash cos I was getting back into enjoying my schmups a few weeks ago.

It'll be the first time I'll have played it since my 60hz mod too so that could be interesting

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:48 am

Great Choice, I love this game, cos its semi-continuation of the assualt suit series by Masaya which consist of:

Sega Megadrive 1990 - JP = Assualt Suit Leynos US = Target Earth
SNES - JP = Assualt Suit Valken US/UK =Cybernator
Sega Saturn - JP = Assualt Suit Leynos 2
PS2 - JP = Assualt Suit Leynos 2 - this is different to the SS version where it seems to be more stratagy based, where as the SS is a good solid massive 2D blaster - a - thon.

Anyway, back on topic.....

Used to own cybernator on the SNES and could never get past the astroid field level. Played it many years later on ZSNES and used the save state funcation to progress through the game. Its a very very rewarding game, the levels are well designed, the weapons balanced and the music in places is excellent and the story, although edited from the japanese original (had more political overtones and more violence) is still engrossing.

If it had to give it a score out of 10, a good 8 would do it justice, just the difficulty (with out save state lol) may put some people off.
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

mandelbrot78

Post by mandelbrot78 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:03 am

I really liked that game back in the day. I had finished it then but haven't gone back since. It's time to give it another go; good pick.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:05 am

I've just downloaded it and had a quick go at it, first impressions:
Looks fun, the first stage does not seem too hard (even though I failed at the end of it!) but the robot you play in the game does seem very heavy, so I'll have to adjust to handle it properly... :lol:

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:58 am

By the way, could the mods make this a sticky just like for the previous weeks...? :wink:

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:59 pm

random_dave wrote:I really like this game, love the way the mech 'handles' and first boss is cool, the only problem I've had previously is that level 2 is pretty hard and I always end up not sticking at it long enough to get past, and just start playing something else.

i think I'll take it into work though and give it another bash cos I was getting back into enjoying my schmups a few weeks ago.

It'll be the first time I'll have played it since my 60hz mod too so that could be interesting
One thing you have to learn to help make that stage easy is when you finish the flying section make sure you hold the L button to lock your gun in position why you fly independently, you probably know this but I thought I'd mention it just to make sure.

Didn't realize so many people loved this game :) cool beans.

Oh also, if you can make it through the entire first stage without even firing your gun (till you reach the boss obviously) then you are granted a special weapon for your efforts. It makes the game a LOT easier if you're having trouble.

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:19 pm

C=Style wrote:Didn't realize so many people loved this game :) cool beans.

Oh also, if you can make it through the entire first stage without even firing your gun (till you reach the boss obviously) then you are granted a special weapon for your efforts. It makes the game a LOT easier if you're having trouble.
I seem to remember reading the super play review loads of times but never seeing the game in the shops. It wasn't until I'd picked it up off've ebay a good few years later that I got to experience it.

Thanks for that nugget for the first stage, I was hoping some juicy tips might show up.

Looks like tomorrow lunchtime I'll leave the advance wars and cybernator it up instead

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Oh, and another thing, isn't there a remake on PS2? Does anyone know what that's like?