Sega Europe Closing Amusements Division?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

John

Sega Europe Closing Amusements Division?

Post by John » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:28 pm

It appears that Sega may no longer import, export or sell arcade coin-op machines in Europe.

I just came across this press release on the Sega-Sammy website:

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/ ... inal_e.pdf

Anyone know what's going on, or have anymore info? Nothing on the Sega Amusements Europe page indicates any kind of closing. This would be an absolute shame if Europe won't be able to see any new Sega coin-op games.

- John

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:35 am

If this is true, then it would not surprise me as the arcades have been going down the pan for some time already in the UK, especially with the always increasing rise of online gaming on PC & consoles. Why go to the arcade to play against a mate when you can play a network match against him in the comfort of your own home. That is the way I have always seen the arcades for, social gaming, but they look more reminiscent now of a fruit machine parlour.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:45 pm

Yeah, bit of a shame this if it's true but I'm not surprised either. I really miss arcade gaming, but the last time I visited the arcade a few months back there was nothing there with any wow factor at all. Sure I love playing Daytona 1 & 2 but there's nothing too great about the new games which the home consoles can't do nowadays. I remember going to the arcade because it was the ultimate place to play the games made with the latest technology that our humble little 8-bit machines could only dream of recreating the same experience.

Arcades are dead! :cry:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:40 pm

I don't think I've even seen a post 1998 arcade machine ever.

I honestly didn't think anyone still made them other than console ports with coin slots.

(Other than endless DDR/Beatmania spin offs of course)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:43 pm

i quite liked those sit on and ride horse racing games, get a bird with big tits........and you know the rest :lol:

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:57 pm

I played Outrun SP and Afterburner in my local arcade last weekend. It's still all right, but to be honest I try not to hang around those places anymore, they're just not plesant.

Surely with the fact that a lot of the generation who grew up with games are growing up, would there be a demand for a gaming themed pub with a few arcade machines that you played for fun, rather than to try and make a bit of cash?

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:38 am

I live in a seaside town that used to have three arcades full of video games. Now we have two arcades full of slot machines and no video games.
This news hardly seems surprising given that environment/trend!

The only times I’ve ever seen any half decent collections of arcade games in the last few years is on holiday abroad, mostly is southern Europe.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:53 am

retrogarden wrote:...but to be honest I try not to hang around those places anymore, they're just not plesant.
Some of the arcades I've been to recently have been awful, dirty places with scum of the earth type people hanging around. I won't mention where at risk of offending anyone who may live near.

@retrogarden: Every time I see your avatar, I start humming the BBC Breakfast Theme from the 1980's... ;)

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:46 pm

andy vaisey wrote: @retrogarden: Every time I see your avatar, I start humming the BBC Breakfast Theme from the 1980's... ;)
Hahaha! Well It's similar, but not quite there I guess. I wondered where I got the idea for the design of it when designing the new look to Retro Garden, probably from there ;)

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:00 pm

Surely with the fact that a lot of the generation who grew up with games are growing up, would there be a demand for a gaming themed pub with a few arcade machines that you played for fun, rather than to try and make a bit of cash?
As I mentioned in another thread, the 80s themed bar where I DJ has several vintage arcade machines, about 3 or 4 on rotation. Unfortunately we are a small cellar bar and there isn't room for any more. I always thought it was a great selling point for the place, especially on quiet nights, just relax and play Galaga!

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:25 pm

There were plenty of arcade games on show at this year's ATEI at the end of January, and Sega were demonstrating their arcade games then as they do every year. I remember playing on a multiplayer Wacky Races game which was fun, although that was probably on the Konami stand. There were a few retro games in new cabinets too, and I picked up a few leaflets with some details, but seem to have misplaced them since the show.

To be honest the market seems to be moving towards dual-screen multigame video gambling machines, and the old style fruit machines with mechanical reels look like they will start to disappear before very long.

Mickey T

Post by Mickey T » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:56 pm

I think it may be an exageration of the Sammy end of year loss, stemming largely from the Pachnilko divisions, so arcade amusements yes, video games no. The video game business is doing fine, sales from Mario and Sonic at the Olympics will hit next years balance sheet, the big numbers will come in July/August, and Sega have an awful lot planned for 2008/2009, there will however be loads of redundancies in the arcade division, but again this is unlikely to come from the games development side. Dont forget that the dowen turn in arcade goers makes big cab machines inapropriate for most arcade owners now, due to lower returns so the order book is bound to be lighter, but Sega re use ip in the home, so in theory they have an extra avenue for revenue from games compared to other publishers, however slight.

There is a bit of info in and around here http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/06/sega- ... ut-thanks/
ooer

Keeps us off the streets
http://www.purevolume.com/bchordassassins