First Computer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

xcopy

Re:

Post by xcopy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:C64, Christmas Day 1987. I played Wizard of Wor every spare moment I had.
Exactly the same! But for me it was Christmas 1985 and I was seven years old. It came with a tape from my uncle with dozens of games on it and two joysticks. I played with my brother Wizard of Wor all the time! It was brilliant!

ivortheinjun

Re: First Computer

Post by ivortheinjun » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:01 pm

Camputers Lynx. I think there were three games readily available for it at the time we got it - some Hangman game where many of the words were misspelt ("yaght" for "yacht" sticks out), one of those with the plane and the skyscrapers where you have to bomb each down so you don't fly into it, and something I can't really remember that had something to do with clouds.

The following year my mum realised the error of her ways (she'd fallen for some spiel at a computer fair) and invested in an Electron instead.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:38 am

Mine was a ZX81. when I was 11 (1981). Got a 16K Panda Ram pack and proper typewriter keyboard for it later. It involved removing the ZX81 from the original case and putting into another one.

:D

bsg

Post by bsg » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:33 am

Atari 800xl in 1983 and what a fantastic little machine she was, well, still is actually - currently boxed up behind me due to some building work going on. Still got her, an XC12 datasette (not got my original 1010 boohoo) and a sio2pc lead which takes the place of a 1050 / 810 that I don't own (at the moment).

Stand out games for me were Mercenary (played this to death), Ninja, Montezumas Revenge, Zorro, Conan and Miner 2049'er (just got this again on cartridge) - but I did cry for months after playing the abysmal conversion of Green Beret... it still makes me sad to this day :cry:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

aschamberlain

Post by aschamberlain » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:34 am

My first computer was probably a BBC Micro that served as the family computer from the early 80s up until 1995 when we got our first PC. It then ended up in my bedroom where I used to mess around with it from time to time. I had a Sega Mega Drive from 1990, but that's not really a computer.

The Beeb was thrown out after it started overheating and spewing out smoke when left on for a while. I think I might get another one off ebay, or maybe an Electron just to see what life was like on the other side of the tracks.

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:30 pm

A *insert company name* PC in 1999. It was censored and old back then, so you can imagine my frustration in the years after that when I could play barely any new games. Also my brother had an Amiga (can't remember which one) till about 1996, but I don't remember it (born `95).
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Mine was a Sega Master System, it had Sonic 1 and Alex The Kid built in.

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:01 am

Not a computer really but mine was an Atari 2600. Unfortunately it came with Pac-Man (egad!), but luckily my parents soon got me Stargate.
1st proper computer was a Spectrum +2A which was annoying because some games I really wanted to play like Green Beret and Ghosts n Goblins weren't compatible with it. Boo! And I always lusted after my best friends C64 with monitor and disk drive. Damn him!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:03 pm

An Acorn Electron from Tandy, bought by my mum's boyfriend on an August Saturday afternoon in 1986. Me and my bro had just finished watching Airwolf in the afternoon, and he came wading through the living room door with it - and we weren't even expecting it. How cool was that?! :D

It came bundled with a tape deck and several big-box Acornsoft games - Snapper, Starship Command, Boxer, Sphinx Adventure, Hopper and Meteors, plus a pack-in starter cassette that had simpler programs like 'Gomoku' on it.

I remember both of us saving up for a tape copy of Commando (with the German 'Space Invasion' - iirc? - instructions also included), waiting what seemed like ages to get it, and trying really hard to enjoy it once we got it (it was a truly APPALLING conversion). Yeh, that was a low point.

Christmas '86 was nice, with a phat Audiogenic compilation and that 'Five Star' comp that had Repton and Death Star on it. Best Xmas I ever had.

But, come early '87, we'd got sick of waiting for the games our mates were playing (like Gauntlet, Jack The Nipper and Paper Boy), and we pestered our mum for a Speccy, and we got one plus a Renegade we'd saved up for. That game felt like such a quantum leap over the Acorn!

But out of all the computers I ever had, for sheer niceness of build quality, sturdy and jolly and elegantly compact, the Electron's up there with the white PC Engine for me. It's just a pity most of its games are S.H.I.T. of the lowest order.